Who do you pick now?

Silverstar

Reaction score
Dallas is on the clock and all these players are still available at #18.

Who would you pick out of these 10 players Mr. GM?

1. Jay Cutler...a franchise type QB?
2. Gabe Watson...younger and better NT than Ferguson?
3. Jonathan Scott...best LT still on the board?
4. Marcus McNeill...best versatile tackle still on the board?
5. Ko Simpson...the next Ed Reed waiting to be picked up?
6. Santonio Holmes...best WR still on the board?
7. Bobby Carpenter...best OLB still on the board?
8. Winston Justice...best RT still on the board?
9. Thomas Howard...best versatile LB still on the board?
10. Antonio Cromartie...best CB still on the board?

ddh33

Reaction score
I like the idea of making the defense dominant.

I would like to have gotten to this point with several other holes having been filled in free agency though.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I agree, but my gut tells me to take Marcus McNeil.

All reports are that Jay Cutler will be gone by 11th pick or so.

I wouldnt mind trading down, and taking Bobby Carpenter from 21st pick to about 26th. I have seen mock drafts, and everyone has him being taken from 22nd to 28th or so.

But, I agree, fatten up the defense, what I would see like to happen if we take Marcus McNeil, maybe trade down to about 2th or 22nd, get another 3rd round pick. Then take someone like McNeil or Justice, or even Scott. Yet, I would like us to maybe sign John Abraham, let him play with Ware on opposites ends or Bobby Carpenter, that strengthens the defense. Take an OT in 2nd or 3rd round. Take a WR, someone like Hester or that big kid from Notre Dame.

Personallly would like to see Hester, he would be to us, like when we drafted Kevin Williams in 2nd round from Miami. First, he was an explosive return man and kickoff guy, and fair at WR. Hester is even better than Kevin was, and he just might be a super WR or CB, you might even be able to put him at FS, and just let him roam in the secondary. Now and then, bring him up in run support. Yet, he can bust open wide a game with his kickoff and punt returns. I know Parcells likes short stocky guys, maybe he can get that super return guy from Colorado that is going to play in the olympics. Ive heard reports that he runs in the 40 like 4.29.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
I chose Cutler, perhaps because I've spent the last four hours hearing about Ben Rothleisberger's amazing brief career and think Cutler could be a similar player. However, I also don't think Cutler will fall to us at #18. Carpenter is a perfect fit for us and his stock will rise to a mid-first grade in the coming months.

Woods

Reaction score
Carpenter most likely.

In any case, I think (hope) we address RT in FA!

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Silverstar said:
Dallas is on the clock and all these players are still available at #18.

Who would you pick out of these 10 players Mr. GM?

1. Jay Cutler...a franchise type QB?
2. Gabe Watson...younger and better NT than Ferguson?
3. Jonathan Scott...best LT still on the board?
4. Marcus McNeill...best versatile tackle still on the board?
5. Ko Simpson...the next Ed Reed waiting to be picked up?
6. Santonio Holmes...best WR still on the board?
7. Bobby Carpenter...best OLB still on the board?
8. Winston Justice...best RT still on the board?
9. Thomas Howard...best versatile LB still on the board?
10. Antonio Cromartie...best CB still on the board?

My thought is that staying at 18, the pick must be an immediate starter. So here are my thoughts on each one.

Cutler- With Bledsoe here for the next year anyway I don't think he'll fall into the immediate starter. Tempting as I think he'd be.

Watson- No NO and NOOOO.. Too overrated and invisible in a lot of the biggest games!!

Scott- OT.. just a little too soon for me to want to pick up a tackle best on how deep the position is in this draft.

McNeill- same as Scott, just too soon..

Simpson- Definately a propect to ponder when you consider how many games the safety position caused us to lose.

Holmes- A playmaking WR. By most thoughts the best wr in this class. I think if he gets to 18 we have to seriously consider him.

Carpenter- At 18 I think he is the best available OLB. Not the tweener that say Lawson is, and of course has played the position all throughout his college career. IMO, perfectly suited to play the SOLB opposite Ware.

Justice- Another RT.. again too soon for me to want to draft one.

Howard- Is he a LB or a SS?? He might be better suited with his speed to play SS.

Cromartie- CB is not a slot we need unless you are one of those folks that advocates moving Henry to FS... I'm not one of them

So in weighing this.. It comes to Carpenter, Holmes and Simpson as the top three. If I were the one pulling the trigger at the draft, I'd have to go with Carpenter.

AmericasTeam

Reaction score
Cutler is a no brainer here! When we are up to select; someone will be trying to trade so they can select him, or we can make the pick and make a trade in the following minutes.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Carpenter hands down. Defense wins championship. The steelers offense was nothing special.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Carpenter hands down. Defense wins championship. The steelers offense was nothing special.

I agree with Carpenter. however the Steelers were fairly aggressive early on in their playcalling and then they just sat on leads by grinding it out with the Bus and Parker.

Silverstar

Reaction score
I picked Ko Simpson.

I think he'll have a bigger impact starting over Keith Davis at FS, than Carpenter will have over Scott Fujita at OLB. I didn't even bother to include OLB Manny Lawson (my personal favorite), because I think he'll be a top 10 pick come draft time.

If a prospect like Lawson falls to #18, it will be no less than a freakin miracle!!!

It just ain't gonna happen folks, but Cutler has a chance to IMO.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
I'd pick Carpenter, but Simpson or Holmes would also be fine with me- I want an impact player with the first pick, and OL are not impact players. If BP is as good as advertised (and so far he has not been) he should be able to get good OL help from 2-7. Cutler will not be there, so I didn't bother.

neosapien23

Reaction score
McNeil would be a no brainer if he didn't have back issues. I hope Dallas trades down and picks up another 2nd round pick. With a low first round pick, I would want Max Jean Guilles and with our 2nd round pick Ryan O' Callaghan. It might take them awhile to get the hang of thier postions, but we have no idea what we have in Thorton or Burnett. We do know what we have in our Oline though.

Z-Man

Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
I agree with Carpenter. however the Steelers were fairly aggressive early on in their playcalling and then they just sat on leads by grinding it out with the Bus and Parker.
And the Steelers had two "tweeners" out of college starting at the OLB spots.
Haggans and Porter were college DE's obviously. My first choice is Lawson, but I would not be dissapointed at all with Carpenter.

kartr

Reaction score
I like Carpenter or Lawson, but would prefer Brod Bunkley cause we don't have a young pass rushing DT who can keep opposing qb's from stepping up in the pocket. Glover is the only one who gets a push up the middle and he's old. Should he get injured or be released, we have no one to take his place.

Derinyar

Reaction score
I think if you get the chance to draft a well regarded QB after the point where he probably should have gone and you pass it up, unless you have a young franchise QB already, your going to regret it for years.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
kartr said:
I like Carpenter or Lawson, but would prefer Brod Bunkley cause we don't have a young pass rushing DT who can keep opposing qb's from stepping up in the pocket. Glover is the only one who gets a push up the middle and he's old. Should he get injured or be released, we have no one to take his place.
I think that once Glover's gone, they move Spears or Canty inside on obvious passing downs, which means you need another Tweener or speed rusher to storm from the outside.