Who I think we ultimately might sign

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The Joneses have a history of replacing free agents they've lost with cheaper ones who can fill the role until a better player is drafted. So here's who I think we might could end up with in our cheap FA plan.

DE Emmanuel Ogbah to replace Fowler/Armstrong. Ogbah had 5.5 sacks last year, so he may end up being too costly for us. Plus, we may be satisfied having Williams, Golston and Fehoko as end place-holders to pair with Parsons and Lawrence.

CB Xavien Howard as the third corner when we lose Gilmore and Lewis. Had a bad year that should keep his price low.

RB JK Dobbins for Pollard. A natural bargain pickup since injuries have held him back.

DT Sheldon Rankins for Hankins. Good run defender that may be less costly than some of the top-tier linemen but still may be too expensive. (Teair Tart might be the alternative since the Titans waived him before the season was over, or we may just bring back Hankins since he's cheap.)

C Connor Williams for Biadasz. Williams is coming off a major injury. Yes, there's a theme here. I won't be surprised, though, if we view Hoffman as the place-holder.

WR Tyler Boyd if we trade or cut Gallup. Boyd is also coming off a bad year, which should hurt his stock, but we might just hand the third receiver job to Tolbert.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The Joneses have a history of replacing free agents they've lost with cheaper ones who can fill the role until a better player is drafted. So here's who I think we might could end up with in our cheap FA plan.

DE Emmanuel Ogbah to replace Fowler/Armstrong. Ogbah had 5.5 sacks last year, so he may end up being too costly for us. Plus, we may be satisfied having Williams, Golston and Fehoko as end place-holders to pair with Parsons and Lawrence.

CB Xavien Howard as the third corner when we lose Gilmore and Lewis. Had a bad year that should keep his price low.

RB JK Dobbins for Pollard. A natural bargain pickup since injuries have held him back.

DT Sheldon Rankins for Hankins. Good run defender that may be less costly than some of the top-tier linemen but still may be too expensive. (Teair Tart might be the alternative since the Titans waived him before the season was over, or we may just bring back Hankins since he's cheap.)

C Connor Williams for Biadasz. Williams is coming off a major injury. Yes, there's a theme here. I won't be surprised, though, if we view Hoffman as the place-holder.

WR Tyler Boyd if we trade or cut Gallup. Boyd is also coming off a bad year, which should hurt his stock, but we might just hand the third receiver job to Tolbert.
Any pass rusher or CB that is looking for a 1 year prove it deal should be interested in Dallas.

With Micah getting all of the attention, it makes everyone else's job easier to get to the QB.

With the amount of pressure Micah puts on the QB's, DB's jobs are significantly easier.

Now if we could only figure out how to stop giving up 4.5 yards a carry against legit teams, we would have a top 5 well rounded defense.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Want believe anything, till I see something showing life at the star. Need to see something, may send a squad car by to see if anybody is in the building.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Want believe anything, till I see something showing life at the star. Need to see something, may send a squad car by to see if anybody is in the building.
Believe in our FA history. The Joneses pay big money to their own free agents and replace departing FAs with cheap fill-ins. This is the way.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Any pass rusher or CB that is looking for a 1 year prove it deal should be interested in Dallas.

With Micah getting all of the attention, it makes everyone else's job easier to get to the QB.

With the amount of pressure Micah puts on the QB's, DB's jobs are significantly easier.

Now if we could only figure out how to stop giving up 4.5 yards a carry against legit teams, we would have a top 5 well rounded defense.
Zimmer will do better against the run because of his scheme, but the holes in this defense filled by cheap FAs will get exposed against those legit teams as they always do.

gimmesix

Reaction score

I also would not be surprised by a reunion with Elliott to try to recreate the two-back success we had with Elliott and Pollard.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Zimmer will do better against the run because of his scheme, but the holes in this defense filled by cheap FAs will get exposed against those legit teams as they always do.
At least Zimmer will put 8 in the box to at least attempt to slow it down.

gimmesix

Reaction score
At least Zimmer will put 8 in the box to at least attempt to slow it down.
I think our turnover and pass rush numbers will go down under Zimmer, but our run defense will improve at least slightly. He's a solid if not spectacular defensive coach.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The best DC and OC's do not do the same things over and over every week.

You have to be an extremely elite team to say this is what I am going to do, and you can't stop me.

Good DC's mix up their coverages, disguise defenses, hide tendencies and or flat out do something that is completely out of the norm to make it difficult on a QB and the offense.

DQ did not do that. He was very predictable.

Due to our lack of running game our offense became very predictable as well.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The best DC and OC's do not do the same things over and over every week.

You have to be an extremely elite team to say this is what I am going to do, and you can't stop me.

Good DC's mix up their coverages, disguise defenses, hide tendencies and or flat out do something that is completely out of the norm to make it difficult on a QB and the offense.

DQ did not do that. He was very predictable.

Due to our lack of running game our offense became very predictable as well.
Quinn has his faults, but a lot of the problem was who he had to work with. He may have been OK with moving Bell to linebacker, but it's up to the front office to provide the players. The run defense was weak up the middle because we're a cheap team in FA so we don't go out and get the best players to fill the positions where we are weak. We have to luck into them in the draft.

Quinn sells out for pressure, so his defenses are going to get exposed at times, but I have a hard time believing that a few quality FA signings wouldn't have made a big difference.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Quinn has his faults, but a lot of the problem was who he had to work with. He may have been OK with moving Bell to linebacker, but it's up to the front office to provide the players. The run defense was weak up the middle because we're a cheap team in FA so we don't go out and get the best players to fill the positions where we are weak. We have to luck into them in the draft.

Quinn sells out for pressure, so his defenses are going to get exposed at times, but I have a hard time believing that a few quality FA signings wouldn't have made a big difference.
I don't disagree. But someone asked/demanded Mazi to lose 30 lbs and become someone he was not.

Someone has to own that. Whether it is correct or not, it is easy to blame it on the guy who just left.

Now the talk is we have to get bigger and we are supposedly interested in Sweat who ways 35 lbs more than Mazi did.

If GM Jeruh thought we had a legit SB team last year. Why trade for Trance? Why sit on $10M to carry it over to 2024. When you damn well new we needed a LB?

gimmesix

Reaction score
I don't disagree. But someone asked/demanded Mazi to lose 30 lbs and become someone he was not.

Someone has to own that. Whether it is correct or not, it is easy to blame it on the guy who just left.

Now the talk is we have to get bigger and we are supposedly interested in Sweat who ways 35 lbs more than Mazi did.

If GM Jeruh thought we had a legit SB team last year. Why trade for Trance? Why sit on $10M to carry it over to 2024. When you damn well new we needed a LB?
Oh, I believe that was on Quinn. He's an attacking, stunting DC, so he wants players who he is looking for specific types of players. That's why he tries to take tweeners like Golston and Fehoko and pump them up to be DTs and take an NT like Mazi and has him lose weight to try to increase his quickness. He has a vision for what he wants, but the vision isn't always correct ... and it even might not be necessary if the Joneses would provide him with better free agents. Maybe if the front office went out and got a legitimate 3-tech, his vision for Mazi would have been to focus on him at 1-tech because he would have been less desperate to create a pass rush from the DT spot.