News: Who will step up at defensive end for the Dallas Cowboys this summer?

kskboys

Reaction score
I think 2 of the last 3 spots will come down to Taco and Armstrong and Hyder. And it also depends on if Hyder is fully recovered.
Gregory would be another factor, but until he is officially back, can not figure him into the mix.

I think if they have equal camps, It will be Taco over Armstrong, because of 1st round to 4th or 5th round pick, or whatever Armstrong was.
You don't think Joe Jackson has a shot?

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I think it's fair to say this is a make or break year for Taco. It would be logical to assume Gregory's status could be impacted by the NFL-NFLPA negotiations for a new CBA that (surprise) Jerry is currently a big part of.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We also have Quinn we just got. Our system may be a good fit for him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What bothers me is what I read from an opposing NFL scout in a preview magazine. He calls Charlton "a flop" that is "too leggy and not twitched enough" to make an impact at this level. Ouch.

Taco is getting closer to being the Cowboys' biggest first round miss since Bobby Carpenter. I hope he proves me and his naysayers wrong.

He started 7 games last season...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I have heard Dorance Armstrong's name come up a few times on other websites. Defensive ends; especially the mid-round picks, typically take a little longer to develop at this level.

Armstrong is bigger, stronger, and he always had speed off the edge. I think he can be the guy that lets Dallas explore a potential Taco trade.

Not just other sites, but the team site in particular. Armstrong was the only young guy I recall them talking up from his play in practice.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I imagine the coaches are going to run Taco through the ringer and try him out across the line to see what they got in him before cut time comes. This is year 3 maybe something pops for Taco. As a first round pick I do think he will make the team but better show something if he wants playing time and anymore money from the NFL.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
What bothers me is what I read from an opposing NFL scout in a preview magazine. He calls Charlton "a flop" that is "too leggy and not twitched enough" to make an impact at this level. Ouch.

Taco is getting closer to being the Cowboys' biggest first round miss since Bobby Carpenter. I hope he proves me and his naysayers wrong.

In my layman's view, I always thought Taco is a better 3-4 DE prospect given his profile.

But to answer the OP's question, Taco is the best answer. His stock is at rock bottom. So if he does anything resembling consistent production in 2019 it could be considered as "stepping up".

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You don't think Joe Jackson has a shot?

In terms of the pick, he's cuttable, but it's at the point where it's painful, and there's a good chance we lose him.

I see too many bodies at DE, and I expect Gregory back sometime this year too.

Lawrence
Quinn
Gregory
Armstrong
Hyder
Taco
Jackson

Maybe Gregory out to start the season and we dump Hyder. Jackson makes the 53 til Gregory comes back. Maybe makes the season because if we're talking that many guys, there's probably one injury among them.

I think Hyder is probably a steal, but maybe I'm just wrong. In terms of team development, he's the bubble veteran insurance to cut.

Looks like I talked myself into Jackson having a chance to stick at least for the season start.

Like others, I will be shocked if they punt on Taco. They won't give up the sunk cost on a 1st round pick in his 3rd year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He started 7 games last season...

"Starts" at RDE means the base, while the actual starter is the one who takes the most pass down snaps.

Even granting that, his 7 starts were the first 7 games. They gave him a shot, then made him a healthy scratch for a handful of games late in the season.

His 7 starts look like *failure*. They're not a selling point for his future with us.

At least getting those starting shot puts him ahead of Carpenter, who only got 3 for his entire 4 years with us.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Enough with the tacos already. Who knows how this all shakes out. That said, I don't mind saving the vets, but they better be doing some cardio because noting POs me more that seeing players winded after five snaps.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Starts" at RDE means the base, while the actual starter is the one who takes the most pass down snaps.

Even granting that, his 7 starts were the first 7 games. They gave him a shot, then made him a healthy scratch for a handful of games late in the season.

His 7 starts look like *failure*. They're not a selling point for his future with us.

At least getting those starting shot puts him ahead of Carpenter, who only got 3 for his entire 4 years with us.

Taco played 50% or more of the snaps in 6 of the 7 starts.

A big part of the decrease in Taco's snaps was due to DT Collins getting healthy causing Crawford to play move DE whereas he had been playing more DT.

Gregory's snaps as the top pass rusher also increased.

Taco got deactivated because he complained that he only got the grunt on base downs which minimized his chances for sacks while Gregory got the sack opportunities without the grunt work. The previous Gregory suspension while Taco and others stayed out of trouble apparently factored into Taco's thought process.

The real issue with Taco is that he should be a LDE in the Marinelli defense where LDE and RDE have significantly more differences than just right/left (i.e. LDE more 5-tech, RDE more 7-tech).

Obviously DLaw is the LDE. Generally in this style of defense the top pass rusher would play RDE but DLaw is a better fit at LDE.

Getting benched last season should either make Taco's attitude worse or light a fire under his backside. The coaches will likely know which within the 1st week of training camp.

It wouldn't be terrible if Taco developed into a quality base downs type DE. Those players still get many opportunities for sacks and the Cowboys don't strictly rotate out on passing downs like some other teams. They like to rotate more based on series and specific situations.

If he really works hard they might give him some extra passing down opportunities at DT. He could have David Irving type success there if he really works to develop.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Who will step up at defensive end for the Dallas Cowboys this summer?
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/06/30/dallas-cowboys-step-up-defensive-end/

...With both Lawrence and Gregory out plus Crawford and Quinn likely getting the veteran treatment, that should leave plenty of opportunities and snaps for the other defensive ends on the roster to improve this summer. But which of the remaining defenders figures to benefit the most?

The obvious answer is Taco Charlton. The former first round disappointed in Year Two, earning himself a healthy scratch at one point last year. Entering his third and possibly final season in Dallas, everything is on the line of the 28th overall selection in the 2017 NFL Draft.

Like Charlton, 2018 fourth rounder Dorance Armstrong could use the extra experience after an underwhelming rookie season. Speaking of rookies, the Cowboys drafted two defensive ends in April. Fifth-rounder Joe Jackson and seventh-rounder Jalen Jelks will be vying for a roster spots this summer. The extra snaps will surely help them both, and DallasCowboys.com’s Nick Eatman recently predicted that Jelks will actually have an impact this upcoming season.

But I think the player who will actually shine the most this summer at defensive end is veteran Kerry Hyder Jr. The former Detroit Lion actually led the Motor City with 8.0 sacks three years ago. Undrafted out of Texas Tech in 2014, Hyder was a member of the New York Jets’ practice squad until the Lions signed him away in early 2016...

The biggest difference between Hyder and the others is that he's shown he can do it. We really don't know if Charlton or Armstrong can get any more pressure than what they've shown. I don't know if Hyder can get back to the eight-sack level, but he's at least got some history of sack production.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe we will get lucky and trade someone before final cuts.

I'd be thrilled if the Cowboys could pick up a 4th rounder.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I will never count on Gregory to be in the lineup again.. Even if he is there...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Taco played 50% or more of the snaps in 6 of the 7 starts.

A big part of the decrease in Taco's snaps was due to DT Collins getting healthy causing Crawford to play move DE whereas he had been playing more DT.

Gregory's snaps as the top pass rusher also increased.

Taco got deactivated because he complained that he only got the grunt on base downs which minimized his chances for sacks while Gregory got the sack opportunities without the grunt work.

The previous Gregory suspension while Taco and others stayed out of trouble apparently factored into Taco's thought process.

The real issue with Taco is that he should be a LDE in the Marinelli defense where LDE and RDE have significantly more differences than just right/left (i.e. LDE more 5-tech, RDE more 7-tech).

Obviously DLaw is the LDE. Generally in this style of defense the top pass rusher would play RDE but DLaw is a better fit at LDE.

Getting benched last season should either make Taco's attitude worse or light a fire under his backside. The coaches will likely know which within the 1st week of training camp.

It wouldn't be terrible if Taco developed into a quality base downs type DE. Those players still get many opportunities for sacks and the Cowboys don't strictly rotate out on passing downs like some other teams. They like to rotate more based on series and specific situations.

If he really works hard they might give him some extra passing down opportunities at DT. He could have David Irving type success there if he really works to develop.

I don't think they deactivate a guy just for whining about snaps. Taco got deactivated after failing to deliver when he got the chance. He just wasn't a good enough option to make active once other guys got healthy.

I think you've got the possible career trajectory for Taco right. He should be a base down DE, then maybe a pass rushing DT if he can beat out the 3Ts. He's just not good enough to take RDE on pass downs from a guy like Gregory. Anyone watching the game can see that.

It's simply professionally clueless for him not to see it and accept it. Shades of Mo throwing a fit when he was demoted from starter. Mo should give him a call. He got over his sense of entitlement before he left us, and just wanted to contribute. And started playing his best ball. I'm glad for his sake that get got over it and had some seasons to feel good about. He had 14 passes defended last year. Go Mo!

If Taco doesn't get it together, he could be game day inactive for most of the season. Lawrence, Quinn, Gregory, Armstrong, Hader. And Joe Jackson. Joe Jackson is the one who could really give Taco a problem, because he competes for that base DE spot Taco had, and we have his rights for longer, and cheaper.

GenoT

Reaction score
All I care about is who steps up in regular-season games 1 thru 16.

After that...the postseason, maybe?