Who would you rather have...

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Let's play a hypothetical game here...

Suppose Dallas goes to the NFC championship and loses or even to the Sb but loses.

Jason Garrett is offered a HC job somewhere. Possibly Philly or Wash. (I think one of those jobs may be open at the end of the year)

Do you:

#1 Like what Wade is doing with the defense enough to keep him and let Jason walk?

Or

#2 Keep Jason and give him a boat load of money to be HC and buy out Wade Phillips Contract?

lspain1

Reaction score
This is a no brainer. Who has the proven record....everywhere he's been? Who is responsible for the attitude on this team? I think the answer is Wade Phillips. I don't want to make this choice....but I would keep Phillips.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Give me #2 please. Phillips is gaining on father time. Stewart understands the D.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think I would have to agree with lspain and say Phillips, but it should not come to that yet. Give Garrett another year and the story may change, but for now....

thekavorka

Reaction score
I love Wade as a coach, but for the long term future of the team, I'd go with option #2.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I'd keep Wade and throw a ton of money at Garrett, along with the promise that he'd replace Wade, to stay as OCoord.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
I would keep Wade as well. But let's be clear; I WANT BOTH!! I love the attitude of this team and the way they are playing for each other. That is a direct result of Wade.

I love Garrett's game plans and play calling, but Sparano did a pretty good job last year even with Parcells tying one hand behind his back. I do think that Garrett understands the nuances better though.

Reaction score
I don't think it comes to that. You see, sure, every guy wants an opportunity to be a Head Coach. However, any HC job Garrett will be able to get after this year will be a garbage rebuilding team. If Jerry wants to keep him, he makes him assistant HC and gives him 3-4 Mil a year for 2 or 3 more years, then when Wade either hangs it up or gets fired Garrett inherits a Super Bowl caliber team, and if he's good enough, coaches America's team for the next decade or more, since he's still so young.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I would hope that Garrett is smart enough to realize he is next in line and not jump at the 1st bargain basement job that gets him into headcoaching. I don't understand why he would want to take on another team for marginally more pay with infinitely more responsibility and pressure. All he has to do is wait it out and hes going to be the head coach of a team with a Franchise QB and a good defense.

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score
Garrett is good and we're lucky to have him.

But there are a couple of points here.

1. Jason was a QB coach only 2 yrs before coming here.

2. At the end of this season, he'll only have been an OC for 1 yr.

Thats only 3 yrs of coaching experience. You want to hand the HC job to someone with only 3 yrs experience?

Give Jason a little more time, he will be ready.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I stay with Phillips but I really don't think it will come down to that. My gut feeling is Garrett knows his day will come as the HC of the Cowboys. I love what Garrett has done thus far but as we saw with Norv being a great OC and HC is 2 different animals. Wade has this team playing together and they have shown great unity.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
I hate this topic. Cant stand the fact that some other team might come and F-up our staff. I know losing good assistants is part of the price you pay for success, its just the thought of losing Garrett really sucks.

I mean he's a first year coordinator, third year coach. If some team offers him a hc job I'll be pissed.

sago1

Reaction score
Maybe it's wishful thinking but I really don't think Garrett will leave at the end of this season. I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry and Garrett discussed his future even before he was hired finally as OC. Remember Garrett took over an offense which had almost all the necessary parts & which last year was a top five offense and now consistently performing as a high scoring as #2 in NFL. If I'm Garrett, I'd want to be sure I got a franchise QB in place or I probably wouldn't last long in my new position.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Hopefully the coaches can be selfless enough to understand how good things are and can be if they both decide to stick around.

I would tend to think that Garrett appreciates Jerry and would be willing to suck it up and wait for his turn as HC.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
theogt;1763054 said:
Obviuosly you keep Wade.

Yeah I agree. If Jerry were to can Wade after taking a mediocre team and making it into one of the best in the league then i just dont see how any future coaching prospect could ever trust that.

Quite frankly I dont know if Garrett is ready to be a head coach in this league. His success is unquestioned but having only two years experience in the coaching ranks has to make one wonder and head coaching is an entirely different box of chocolates.

VCDefectors

Benched
Reaction score
I remember Norm Hitzges going off on some tool last night for suggesting that we should fire Phillips in order to keep Garrett. It was good theater!