Whoare the surefire picks?

nathanlt

Reaction score
There are questions about some players, first round included, as to whether or not they are really that good. Most of the players who enter the draft have the potential to be coached into a good player.

Who are the ones that are NFL ready? There are just some guys who will do well because of their football skill, NOT THEIR MEASURABLES! Who consistently grades out as top talent in football skill? Here's the short list. Face it, QB's and RB's are too iffy to make the list, a generally overrated position.

Derrick Johnson
Mike Williams
Braylon Edwards
Mark Clayton (NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER)
Darren Sproles (Will KILL defenses as a third round back!)

Who do you think is missing?

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
I think Barron sounds like a can't miss OT. Not an exciting pick, but depending how FA pans out, I could see us picking him. I think Merriman is an eventual can't miss, but he may take a few years to settle into a position. I agree with you on the rest. For some reason, LBs seem safer to me.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
nathanlt said:
There are questions about some players, first round included, as to whether or not they are really that good. Most of the players who enter the draft have the potential to be coached into a good player.

Who are the ones that are NFL ready? There are just some guys who will do well because of their football skill, NOT THEIR MEASURABLES! Who consistently grades out as top talent in football skill? Here's the short list. Face it, QB's and RB's are too iffy to make the list, a generally overrated position.

Derrick Johnson
Mike Williams
Braylon Edwards
Mark Clayton (NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER)
Darren Sproles (Will KILL defenses as a third round back!)

Who do you think is missing?

I think you would get arguments about any of those guys. If Mark Clayton is projected to go late 1, he can't be that much of a can't miss prospect. DJ is a LBer who avoids blocks. Mike Williams is a WR that hasn't played in a year. Braylon Edwards is a MI WR and Sproles is 5'5". I think they all have big question marks.

nathanlt

Reaction score
junk said:
I think you would get arguments about any of those guys. If Mark Clayton is projected to go late 1, he can't be that much of a can't miss prospect. DJ is a LBer who avoids blocks. Mike Williams is a WR that hasn't played in a year. Braylon Edwards is a MI WR and Sproles is 5'5". I think they all have big question marks.

Clayton has question marks if you're auditioning him for the Next Randy Moss in terms of talent. But he doesn't have any questions that he will tear it up in the League as a #2 possession receiver who catches everything and will make yards after the catch. A clutch reciever. A go-to-guy on third down.

Sproles is not going to be the guy, if you're looking for a featured running back. He IS the guy if you're looking for a top flight 3rd down back. Sproles will tear it up as a 3rd down back, possibly redefine the position.

Teams that are fixated on a #1 WR or a featured running back are going to overlook the guys who will certainly contribute, and more than that, at their position.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
nathanlt said:
Clayton has question marks if you're auditioning him for the Next Randy Moss in terms of talent. But he doesn't have any questions that he will tear it up in the League as a #2 possession receiver who catches everything and will make yards after the catch. A clutch reciever. A go-to-guy on third down.

Sproles is not going to be the guy, if you're looking for a featured running back. He IS the guy if you're looking for a top flight 3rd down back. Sproles will tear it up as a 3rd down back, possibly redefine the position.

Teams that are fixated on a #1 WR or a featured running back are going to overlook the guys who will certainly contribute, and more than that, at their position.

I don't think this is true at all. Clayton has plenty of questions. His size alone, regardless of if he is a #2 WR or not, is questionable. Secondly, I am not in favor of spending a 1st round pick on a #2 WR. The same can be said for Sproles. Neither is sure fire. In fact, there is no such thing as sure fire in the NFL.

In my mind, all three top rated backs are better bets then either of these two players.

Personally, I think Alex Smith is as good a prospect as your going to find this year but not many will agree at this point. I think that will change but I understand it. Not many have really seen this player. It's understandable.