Whoever thought of the bye week is

playmakers

Reaction score
An idiot and a genius.

Ok, this week has been bad having the Cowboys on a bye. It drives me crazy but all teams must go through this. For this reason though whoever thought of the bye week is a idiot. who cant say they didnt miss their Boys tis week?

On the flipside, once you get through the bye week a fan recieves an extra week of football. If there was no bye week the season would end in week 16. For this reason whoever thought of it is a genius for adding a week to the schedule. Thats a bonus for every fan.

Which do you prefer out of curiousty? Even though I hate byes Ill still take the extra week. I remember they did 2 byes one year. Thats an extra two weeks of football. I wouldnt mind that either. Even though it hurts in the short term the long term advantages outweigh the short term. Opinions

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
i like bye weeks. it just sucks sometimes for the opposing team you play the following week (unless they got same bye week too).

EndGame

Reaction score
CowboyBlog;1734107 said:
Its all about the $$

Did they experiement with 2 bye weeks a few years back?
Yes. Good God it was miserable.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I like the bye week, but I don't like the fact that it moves every year. I wish the entire league would just take a week break right in the middle of the season. No team would have an advantage on where their bye is. It would suck for that one week to have no football, but it'd be more fair.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Ozzu;1734262 said:
I like the bye week, but I don't like the fact that it moves every year. I wish the entire league would just take a week break right in the middle of the season. No team would have an advantage on where their bye is. It would suck for that one week to have no football, but it'd be more fair.
You could divide the byes into two weeks, with each team coming off their bye playing another team coming off their bye following both bye weeks. The networks still sell their advertisements, we still get to see football game and every team gets a break right about the middle of the season.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
LeonDixson;1734275 said:
You could divide the byes into two weeks, with each team coming off their bye playing another team coming off their bye following both bye weeks. The networks still sell their advertisements, we still get to see football game and every team gets a break right about the middle of the season.

Ah. Nicely thought out. That would work.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I think they should modify it a bit.

I think one thing they could do is make it where 8 teams have a bye in weeks 7, 8, 9, 10.

During the bye week, take 2 entire divisions and give them a bye. For instance, AFC East and NFC West. Then in the week immediately following the bye, The AFC East teams would face one another, as would the NFC West. This way, none of the teams have the advantage of having an extra week to prepare and an extra week to rest prior to the game.

All teams know that every year coming out of the bye week, they will play a divisional opponent.

Use this chart to assign bye weeks

Year 1
7 AFC East, NFC West
8 AFC North, NFC South
9 AFC South, NFC North
10 AFC West, NFC East

Year 2
7 AFC West, NFC East
8 AFC East, NFC West
9 AFC North, NFC South
10 AFC South, NFC North

and so on

crazytown41

Reaction score
Ozzu;1734262 said:
That'll never happen. That's 1 billion dollars worth of gambling down the drain. :laugh2:

The NFL is not THAT stupid.

CowboyBlog

Reaction score
EndGame;1734162 said:
Yes. Good God it was miserable.

I just saw the Cowboys 1992 and 1993 highlights the other day on the NFL network and they were talking about the Emmit shoulder game in WEEK 18 against the Giants.

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
No but Romo has been hittin on all cylinders, he made LV with TO and then he goes partying with Brittney Spears, boy does he know how to spend time off, no backwoods of Wisconsin for this guy...

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
I like the bye week as long as it isn't very early in the season, like after third or fourth game. I much prefer the mid-season bye like right now.