whose game does Early Doucet's compare to

hendog

Reaction score
in the NFL. While he may be the best WR at the Sr. bowl, does he project to have the highest ceiling or the most potential? Could he be a #1 WR in the NFL?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I'd say he compares to Marvin Harrison. He doesn't have the highest ceiling/potential. He's not particularly strong at any one thing (other than having the best hands in the draft). Or rather, there's no single thing that jumps out at you. For example, Desean Jackson and some others have blazing speed, while a guy like James Hardy has extreme height with nice physical ability. Doucet doesn't have anything that stands out, but he's far and away the most complete receiver in the draft.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theogt;1923125 said:
I'd say he compares to Marvin Harrison. He doesn't have the highest ceiling/potential. He's not particularly strong at any one thing (other than having the best hands in the draft). Or rather, there's no single thing that jumps out at you. For example, Desean Jackson and some others have blazing speed, while a guy like James Hardy has extreme height with nice physical ability. Doucet doesn't have anything that stands out, but he's far and away the most complete receiver in the draft.
:signmast:

Said this during the game. Reminds me so much of Marvin when he was at Syracuse.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brian (Dallas, TX): I just heard Jason Garrett on the radio say that the Cowboys are looking at Early Doucet where do you have him going?

sn2.gif
Mel Kiper: (1:28 PM ET ) I think he'll be a second round pick. He's an excellent slot receiver. He's been schooled against the top corners. He's worked against good CBs in practice. He's played in pressure packed environments. If he runs that 4.4, he goes in the second round. I think he'll be a very nice addition. He's very very battle tested.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1923158 said:
Brian (Dallas, TX): I just heard Jason Garrett on the radio say that the Cowboys are looking at Early Doucet where do you have him going?

sn2.gif
Mel Kiper: (1:28 PM ET ) I think he'll be a second round pick. He's an excellent slot receiver. He's been schooled against the top corners. He's worked against good CBs in practice. He's played in pressure packed environments. If he runs that 4.4, he goes in the second round. I think he'll be a very nice addition. He's very very battle tested.

Will he still be there when we pick 28th in the 2nd round? I doubt it. We might grab him with the 28th pick in the 1st round. Is he worth it?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ELDudearino;1923165 said:
Will he still be there when we pick 28th in the 2nd round? I doubt it. We might grab him with the 28th pick in the 1st round. Is he worth it?
Yes. .

cc cowboy

Reaction score
I don't see the similarities between he and Harrison. He is not small and quick. Doucet is bigger (MH is smaller) and lacks elite speed. I really like Doucet and think he reminds me of Irvin coming out of college or maybe even a Hines Ward. Irvin had a bigger body, good hands but lacked elite speed as does Ward.

Having siad all this, Doucet might be the most ready of all the receivers to contribute next year ... which is an important aspect of a receiver we might draft early.

ValleyBoyz

Reaction score
In the little I've been able to see, he reminds me of Greg Jennings given his size and ability after the catch.

Would've liked to see more production out of him in his senior year, but from what I understand he was hampered by injury.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
There are three receivers in this draft that I like. Obviously there could be sleepers.

• Malcolm Kelly <-- Best receiver in the draft
  • Early Doucet
  • James Hardy
Yep, thats right DeSean Jackson isn't in this list.

In my draft, Bowman has an anchor around his next.

Hailmary

Reaction score
theogt;1923167 said:

I don't know if I'd spend a first on him, his college numbers aren't all that impressive. I realize he's been dinged up from time to time and he's had to share time w/ some very good receivers, but still I would like to have seen him be more productive.

Hailmary

Reaction score
nyc;1923209 said:
There are three receivers in this draft that I like. Obviously there could be sleepers.
  • Malcolm Kelly <-- Best receiver in the draft
  • Early Doucet
  • James Hardy
Yep, thats right DeSean Jackson isn't in this list.

In my draft, Bowman has an anchor around his next.

For good reason. He wasn't even the best receiver on the team. IMO, Hawkins was.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
cc cowboy;1923178 said:
I don't see the similarities between he and Harrison. He is not small and quick. Doucet is bigger (MH is smaller) and lacks elite speed. I really like Doucet and think he reminds me of Irvin coming out of college or maybe even a Hines Ward. Irvin had a bigger body, good hands but lacked elite speed as does Ward.

Having siad all this, Doucet might be the most ready of all the receivers to contribute next year ... which is an important aspect of a receiver we might draft early.
He's somewhere between Irvin and Harrison in terms of size, but I think he's much much closer to Harrison than Irvin.

And he's very quick. Whether he has deep speed is debatable (I think he does).

marchetta

Reaction score
Early Doucet WR LSU
STRENGTHS
Early has excellent size, strength, speed and quickness to be an tremendous WR at the next level. He is very smart and does a solid job running routes against one on one coverage and zone coverage. He is a good blocker and understands situational football, which means he understands how to adjust routes and keep the chains moving. Early shows very good strength and stamina and should be able to handle the bump and run techniques that will be used against him at the next level. In fact, I would have to say that Early has the prototypical skills that all teams are looking for in a potential #1 WR for the team that drafts him.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE
Early has not started that many games because of the talent at WR the last few years on his college team. There’s still a big question mark about how well mentally he will be able to handle the pressure at the next level of a #1 WR. It’s a legitimate question that Early will have to find a way to answer if he wants to be drafted in the 1st round of this draft. Also, consistency in his overall game will need to be upgraded. I do not believe that lack of consistency will be a serious problem once he receives more repetitions as a starter.

TALENT BOARD ROUND 1
There is no doubt about Early’s athletic talents to play WR at the next level. He reminds me of Reggie Wayne (WR Indianapolis Colts). Like Reggie when he came out, Early will have to answer the same questions about mental strength and consistency. Remember, Reggie has been able to play with Marvin Harrison who took a lot of pressure off of him while he learned to handle that pressure. I’m not sure if Reggie would have made it if he did not have Marvin and Peyton to see him through the tough times early in his career. Early is stronger physically than Reggie and this could make a big difference in his LTI. I like this kid’s game, but I think you have to be really careful where he is picked in this draft. I think if he is picked too early and taken by a team that is in need of a #1 WR right away, he will struggle and might not make it. Draft him in the latter part of the first round by a team that made the playoffs and has good coaching and in three years he should blossom into a hell of a #1 WR. The problem is that if you need a top flight WR and you’re a team that picks in the top ten of this draft, you have to pick this kid. If that’s what happens, then all I can tell you is be patient. If you are, then your reward will be an excellent #1 WR.

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

hendog

Reaction score
Wow. Drew seems pretty high on him and I tend to think Drew normally does a pretty good job with his assessments.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Doucet is strong and that appeals because so much of today's game is being able to get off of jams.

He is very well-wounded, though I think Harrison comparisons are a bit premature as Doucet can not yet come close to the exquisite routes Harrison runs.

I think any WR drafted should be brought along as 2/3 early on and not a lead guy as that so seldom works out for any team.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Terrance Murphy - TAM. Drafted by the Packers in 05 in the 2nd Rd. Perhaps somebody else can weigh in on that comparison.

;)

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Like I said during the game, he reminds me of Patrick Crayton. I do think he's quicker than Crayton, and I don't mean it as a knock, but I see a lot of similarities in their games.

Both have reliable hands. Neither excels at route running. Both are secondary options and have produced well when in that roll. Both more physical than finesse. Both good blockers. Both around the same size.

From what I've seen of the senior bowl practices Doucet does run better routes than I thought, maybe I'd say he was a combination of Reggie Wayne and Patrick Crayton. What does that equal? Probably a very good #2 WR.

CPonder14

Reaction score
I personally like Manningham better. He has that explosion, that we need at WR.