Why’d ESPN Let Multiple Anonymous Sources Fly on the Owens Story, But Not Favre One?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2487984 said:
Still using words you know nothing of.

Cute. Real. cute. :D

Oh, and it's you're not your.

Shakespear and 7-year-olds. Shakespear and 7-year-olds. ;)

Oh wow! Grammar police.

Is that like the misspelling of "Shakespeare" or perhaps your improper sentence formation.

Boy, you are such a snob, and a stupid one at that.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2487989 said:
Oh wow! Grammar police.

Is that like the misspelling of "Shakespeare" or perhaps your improper sentence formation.

Boy, you are such a snob, and a stupid one at that.

No, it's not like misspelling Shakespeare.

One learns the difference between You're and your in elementary grammar classes.

But most people misspell names. Besides, a misspelling of "Shakespear" doesn't change the meaning of a sentence. But misspelling your and you're does.

If you're going to criticize my logic, at least have the common sense to know the difference between the two words and use them appropriately.

But using words appropriately has been a problem for you. ;)

As for me being a snob, I guess you'd know one when you saw one - experience being a great teacher and all. ;)

GoBoys41

Reaction score
tyke, I was with you until that last your/you're post. That was seriously lame.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2488006 said:
One learns the difference between You're and your in elementary grammar classes.

Yes, because it's just impossible that someone might mistype these two terms on the internet due to the terms being phonetically the same and still know the difference GRAMMATICALLY.

You are pathetic.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2488028 said:
Yes, because it's just impossible that someone might mistype these two terms interchangeably on the internet due to the terms being phonetically the same and still know the difference GRAMMATICALLY.

You are pathetic.

Says the man who apparently doesn't understand what a logical fallacy or circular reasoning is. ;)

I just find it funny you're getting all worked up over this. I'm not upset in the least. :D

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2488036 said:
Says the man who apparently doesn't understand what a logical fallacy or circular reasoning is. ;)

I just find it funny you're getting all worked up over this. I'm not upset in the least. :D

Says the man who doesn't have a clue. :) :) ;) ;) :D :D

tyke1doe

Reaction score
GoBoys41;2488018 said:
tyke, I was with you until that last your/you're post. That was seriously lame.

Hey, we can't always be on our game. ;)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2488037 said:
Says the man who doesn't have a clue.

LOL!

You're funny.

I already have confirmation that I do very much have a clue. :D

tyke1doe

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2488044 said:
Is it an anonymous source confirmation?

Check any journalism book. Or scan the pages. I'm sure you can find them. ;)

monkey

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2487976 said:
Of course. It's necessary according to journalists, and also ethical too, if you ask journalists. :rolleyes:

Yet, somehow, someone that has is not a journalist and has never had a journalism case say it is necessary and can be ethical.

What exactly again is your reason why it is not necessary and always unethical?

monkey

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2488559 said:

It only took 5 pages to post a reason :laugh2:

There are a couple of flaws in in the logic though:

1. It cites a couple of bad uses of anonymous sources as to why they are useless. Using an anonymous source from an untrustworthy person or without corroboration is just the same as using a known source without corroboration.

2. Even when knowing the source, John Q. Public still doesn't know what the source said or didn't say, and also doesn't know what the reporter left out or misquoted. I have known a couple of people interviewed for stories in local paper, who have said they were surprised by what was said they said in the actual story. One even refused to be interviewed for future stories because of feeling as if his statements were often misrepresented.

3. Readers would still be dependent on the reporters' understanding of the source even if the source is known, and the (assumed) knowledge/expertise of the source. I may not know enough about the subject or the source to know how qualified they are to talk about said story subject.

4. The vast majority of stories read in non-local publications are not verifiable even if you do know the source. It's great to know that the CEO of such and such corporation said something, but the chances of me being able to verify this information are poor. So, knowing the source would help to some degree in determining truthfulness, but only to a modest degree in some situations.

IMO: It's best to be skeptical of any story that isn't corroborated by multiple sources (known or unknown) and even then to read the story with a discerning eye. And don't even get me started about articles talking about research studies or findings......

tyke1doe

Reaction score
monkey;2490282 said:
It only took 5 pages to post a reason :laugh2:

There are a couple of flaws in in the logic though:

1. It cites a couple of bad uses of anonymous sources as to why they are useless. Using an anonymous source from an untrustworthy person or without corroboration is just the same as using a known source without corroboration.

2. Even when knowing the source, John Q. Public still doesn't know what the source said or didn't say, and also doesn't know what the reporter left out or misquoted. I have known a couple of people interviewed for stories in local paper, who have said they were surprised by what was said they said in the actual story. One even refused to be interviewed for future stories because of feeling as if his statements were often misrepresented.

3. Readers would still be dependent on the reporters' understanding of the source even if the source is known, and the (assumed) knowledge/expertise of the source. I may not know enough about the subject or the source to know how qualified they are to talk about said story subject.

4. The vast majority of stories read in non-local publications are not verifiable even if you do know the source. It's great to know that the CEO of such and such corporation said something, but the chances of me being able to verify this information are poor. So, knowing the source would help to some degree in determining truthfulness, but only to a modest degree in some situations.

IMO: It's best to be skeptical of any story that isn't corroborated by multiple sources (known or unknown) and even then to read the story with a discerning eye. And don't even get me started about articles talking about research studies or findings......

Great point.

A number of professions and disciplines rely on anonymous sources or deal with anonymous sources in some form or fashion. Just a few ...

police
lawyers
psychologists
psychiatrists
political pollsters
researchers
clergy
human resource officials
ethics commissioners
drug counselors
rape counselors
crisis pregnancy counselors
detectives
military intelligence officials

Any meaningful investigation which requires anonymity to get information would rely on anonymous sources.

Any meaningful study which seeks to explore problems that may not be discovered if anonymity is not granted would rely on anonymous sources.

Now, someone could look at a study and conclude, "I don't believe a majority of teens are having sex" or "I don't believe a majority of men beat their wives."

But that's why researchers and pollsters develop internal methodology to ensure that the information collected is as valid/accurate as possible. Hence my explanation of policies and guidelines which govern the use of anonymous sources in broadcast or print.

If not for anonymous sources, we wouldn't be as successful against terrorists attacks, police wouldn't get a start on solving crimes and government corruption wouldn't be uncovered nearly as much as it is.

Of course, anonymous sources can be abused. I've not argued otherwise.

But they're necessary not only in the field of journalism but any other field where you have to protect the confidentiality of a source.

P.S. It's ironic that in the above link the author doesn't even identify himself, gives no credentials, but rails against the uselessness of anonymous sources.
I guess that means we can dismiss his one-sided, narrow opinion.
:laugh1:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2490478 said:
Great point.

A number of professions and disciplines rely on anonymous sources or deal with anonymous sources in some form or fashion. Just a few ...

police
lawyers
psychologists
psychiatrists
political pollsters
researchers
clergy
human resource officials
ethics commissioners
drug counselors
rape counselors
crisis pregnancy counselors
detectives
military intelligence officials

Any meaningful investigation which requires anonymity to get information would rely on anonymous sources.

Any meaningful study which seeks to explore problems that may not be discovered if anonymity is not granted would rely on anonymous sources.

Now, someone could look at a study and conclude, "I don't believe a majority of teens are having sex" or "I don't believe a majority of men beat their wives."

But that's why researchers and pollsters develop internal methodology to ensure that the information collected is as valid/accurate as possible. Hence my explanation of policies and guidelines which govern the use of anonymous sources in broadcast or print.

If not for anonymous sources, we wouldn't be as successful against terrorists attacks, police wouldn't get a start on solving crimes and government corruption wouldn't be uncovered nearly as much as it is.

Of course, anonymous sources can be abused. I've not argued otherwise.

But they're necessary not only in the field of journalism but any other field where you have to protect the confidentiality of a source.

P.S. It's ironic that in the above link the author doesn't even identify himself, gives no credentials, but rails against the uselessness of anonymous sources.
I guess that means we can dismiss his one-sided, narrow opinion.
:laugh1:

That's all fine and well. But I don't ever take an anonymous comment that serves the reporter so well very seriously. We're talking about reporting the news here. Not national security or the lives of abused children.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
jobberone;2490710 said:
That's all fine and well. But I don't ever take an anonymous comment that serves the reporter so well very seriously. We're talking about reporting the news here. Not national security or the lives of abused children.

My only point of comparison is this:

In order to find out information that would not be revealed by identification, anonymous sources are absolutely necessary.

That works with national security, the lives of abused children or inside information telling us the real deal about a team.

Difference in importance? Sure.

Difference in concept? No.