why can't we run the ball

1Ware1

Reaction score
Let's be honest,I have watched every game and have came to the same conclusion,WE can't run the ball well.It seems that after we are done wearing defenses out with screens and passes and are up by two scores,in the fourth quater then we run the ball well,but when is the last time you have seen us in a third in short via the run?

Don't misunderstand me,I know we rank well vs.the rest of the NFL with total rushing yards per game(stat wise),but isn't most of that yardage comeing late in the third and fourth quater?When is the last time we had a running back with more than 65 yards rushing in the first half?

It's not like we don't have the tallent with the big and uglys upfront(O-line),but is it we don't have a fast enuff running back?Is it we don't have good enuff run blockers,or is it that we are constantly putting ourselves in the hole all the time because of penalties?

Its great watching us light the scoreboard up passing,but whatever happened to the smash you in the mouth,grind it out 4.5 yards per carry rush?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
they certainly have not been very good running the ball for the majority of most games, and most of the success we did have was at the end of some games where we pulled away

my personal opinion has been its mainly due to the OL coach, but Kosier and Columbo are not very good run blockers either...both whiff or get pushed back quite a bit...both guys are pretty adequate at pass protection, but niether is what I'd consider a strong run blocker

David

BoysRule2

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;1741159 said:
they certainly have not been very good running the ball for the majority of most games, and most of the success we did have was at the end of some games where we pulled away

my personal opinion has been its mainly due to the OL coach, but Kosier and Columbo are not very good run blockers either...both whiff or get pushed back quite a bit...both guys are pretty adequate at pass protection, but niether is what I'd consider a strong run blocker

David

Quite simply-mistakes, penalties, and field position. In the Miami game, for example, Julius pulled out some nice runs, only for them to be negated by stupid holding penalties. In the Buffalo game, Julius actually pulled out some early nice runs, only for drives to be stalled on Romo's INTs.(plus we had poor field position most of the game) In the New England game, our D just couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs(otherwise, even Julius was running the ball OK).

I'm glad we had the bye week-hopefully, we corrected these mistakes.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
:(
1Ware1;1741169 said:
will we have a 100yard rusher this year?????????????????

we already did

go back and look at the stats from the Bears game...

David

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
1Ware1;1741169 said:
will we have a 100yard rusher this year?????????????????
If you are referring to in a game, Barber ran for 102 yards against Bears this year.

1Ware1

Reaction score
Your right,my bad,sorry.

I forgot about that and don't misunderstand I like Barber and beleive it or not,JONES.You can't go from being that descent(Jones)to not being very productive just like that.Unless of course you name is Shaun Alexander.

I am hopeing that this is the week that Jones eclipses 100 yards

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Maybe cause its the bye, or maybe all the negative posts I've read, or I haven't watched us play in nearly 2 weeks, but I am beginning to question if we are just pretenders...

- We clearly can't run the ball. We get most of our yardage as a result of running down the clock when leading by 14+.

- Roy Williams and our secondary cant cover. Teams should test us more and throw deep bombs. They will get some big plays. Also, we really havent been tested... Grossman, Trent Green, Travaris Jackson, Trent Edwards, Bulger??? Who are these clowns, of course we will get INTs.

- The commissioner and the league are against us. They wont be fair when reevaluating suspensions, they will call phantom penalties just because of big names, and they will do whatever they can to prove to the league the patriots are legitimate and not cheaters.

- This time last year our defense is about the exact same as they are this year. We only have 1 more turnover, 1 more sack, and have given up 1 more 20+ yard pass play. Thats not the much hyped improvements expected from a Wade Phillips... He will probably fail just like all other coaches brought in to fix something.

- We have been making horrible draft picks in recent years. What are we going to do with carpenter, donate his mustache to a pron museum. Hes useless.

This season is over, lets just fold and try to get a high draft pick. I'd rather fold instead of have another heartbreaking season like last year. Theres no point to continue. We are just 6-1 this is unacceptable, we should be 1325-0 by now.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;1741194 said:
Maybe cause its the bye, or maybe all the negative posts I've read, or I haven't watched us play in nearly 2 weeks, but I am beginning to question if we are just pretenders...

- We clearly can't run the ball. We get most of our yardage as a result of running down the clock when leading by 14+.

- Roy Williams and our secondary cant cover. Teams should test us more and throw deep bombs. They will get some big plays. Also, we really havent been tested... Grossman, Trent Green, Travaris Jackson, Trent Edwards, Bulger??? Who are these clowns, of course we will get INTs.

- The commissioner and the league are against us. They wont be fair when reevaluating suspensions, they will call phantom penalties just because of big names, and they will do whatever they can to prove to the league the patriots are legitimate and not cheaters.

- This time last year our defense is about the exact same as they are this year. We only have 1 more turnover, 1 more sack, and have given up 1 more 20+ yard pass play. Thats not the much hyped improvements expected from a Wade Phillips... He will probably fail just like all other coaches brought in to fix something.

- We have been making horrible draft picks in recent years. What are we going to do with carpenter, donate his mustache to a pron museum. Hes useless.

This season is over, lets just fold and try to get a high draft pick. I'd rather fold instead of have another heartbreaking season like last year. Theres no point to continue. We are just 6-1 this is unacceptable, we should be 1325-0 by now.

Man --back away from the keyboard and slap the ____ out of yourself:bang2: ..this defense is new --we are still learning it--we have had player after player injuried in the secondary----we have a lot of drafted players coming into their own---go ahead slap the other side of you face now--if that doesn't help --come back in Feb after your nerves have settled down:lmao:

Rockytop6

Reaction score
justbob;1741202 said:
Man --back away from the keyboard and slap the ____ out of yourself:bang2: ..this defense is new --we are still learning it--we have had player after player injuried in the secondary----we have a lot of drafted players coming into their own---go ahead slap the other side of you face now--if that doesn't help --come back in Feb after your nerves have settled down:lmao:

This was tongue in cheek. You need a humor filter - I think.

vicjagger

Reaction score
Dallas is 10th in rushing yards/game, tied for 3rd in yards/attempt and rushing TDs, 4th in 20+ yards runs and tied for 4th in 40+ yards runs.:p:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1Ware1;1741188 said:
I am hopeing that this is the week that Jones eclipses 100 yards
Unless he breaks a long one, that won't happen. He won't get enough carries.

goshan

Reaction score
Reasons.
1. Mediocre run blocking
2. Lack of a top elusive running back
3. Lack of a deep WR threat

Q_the_man

Reaction score
We are not a running team plain and simple, we pass first run second, we run the ball basically at the end of games to seal victory...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Q_the_man;1741712 said:
We are not a running team plain and simple, we pass first run second, we run the ball basically at the end of games to seal victory...

Exactly.

We've run 37 more pass plays in the first than the 2nd half. Could that have anything to do with it?

Q_the_man

Reaction score
abersonc;1741715 said:
Exactly.

We've run 37 more pass plays in the first than the 2nd half. Could that have anything to do with it?

yeppers