Why did we resign Wilber and Hanna?

Zordon

Reaction score
Their production could have been replaced with cheaper, younger options. The Cowboys are too complacent with the average play we get from these two, especially Wilber. He showed nothing in the first preseason game and has been virtually invisible for for 4 years. I like Hanna on special teams and he's improved as a blocker, but I think the best franchises replace these types of players on the 3rd day of the draft.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Hanna played a key roll in the overall top notch run blocking of the 2014 Cowboys team that steamrolled much of the NFL.

No, he'll never be the pass-catching TE/WR hybrid he was touted as possibly being coming out of college, however, he has played an important role for the Cowboys the past 2 years.

UTmodisette

Reaction score
I think Hanna earned his contract with how much the Cowboys value a blocking tight end. Wilber is a fixture on special teams, but if the linebacker depth develops he's at risk of getting cut in 2017, maybe even this year.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
There with you on Wilber. Escobar is a FA next year so understand Hanna more so.

KDM256

Reaction score
Would love to move on from Wilber but so many distractions/injuries/ unavailability with our LB corp, this front office will just resign him again due to lack of options.

Didn't we try Wilber at DE once upon a time?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Wilber is supposed a ST core player. Just happened to be called for a penalty the other night.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hanna made sense. Wilber did not. Ready to move on from him. His replacement might already be on the roster.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
These are both low money deals that you wouldn't cry about if someone beats them out.

We got a couple of vet backups who know the system and more importantly who the coaches know inside and out - they know what they can do and what they shouldn't ask them to do.

Far better than finding out that a young guy doesn't have enough to take their position then having to scramble on cut down day for someone.

Zordon

Reaction score
I think Hanna earned his contract with how much the Cowboys value a blocking tight end. Wilber is a fixture on special teams, but if the linebacker depth develops he's at risk of getting cut in 2017, maybe even this year.
I think Swaim can do what Hanna does. Boys could have saved that 3 yr/8.25M. Since he doesn't contribute in the passing game, I only think you resign him if he's an elite blocker.

Zordon

Reaction score
Sounds like there's a consensus on Wilber.

When you've got some big time guys coming up for contracts (Martin, Lawrence, maybe Mo), I think you have to find little ways to save money. Hanna was an opportunity IMO. The really good franchises that always have financial flexibility, find cheap replacements for these lower tier players.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Wilber is supposed a ST core player. Just happened to be called for a penalty the other night.

Needs to be a better player on D, can find cheaper options for ST. Did he even have a tackle in first preseason game? He was drafted as pass rushing 3-4 OLB but guy is not a pass rusher. Seems to be a bad fit at LB for Marinelli's D scheme.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hey, we're still churning the top of the defensive roster, so complaining about the bottom of the roster is a bit nonsensical. Of course it sucks!

Common Sense

Reaction score
One year we don't retain enough vets. The next year we retain two too many. One day we can't find anyone after the first round. The next day we should be replacing established role players with guys on Day 3.

Like it or not, Hanna would be the #2 TE on this team if he weren't injured, and Wilber has always been in contention for the starting SLB spot and is reliable depth.

Aven8

Reaction score
I think Swaim can do what Hanna does. Boys could have saved that 3 yr/8.25M. Since he doesn't contribute in the passing game, I only think you resign him if he's an elite blocker.

Hanna drops passes also in the PS?? ;)

VACowboy

Reaction score
Would love to move on from Wilber but so many distractions/injuries/ unavailability with our LB corp, this front office will just resign him again due to lack of options.

Didn't we try Wilber at DE once upon a time?

He was drafted as a TE.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure what it matters when they both signed cheap deals. Criticizing for these moves is nitpicking at its finest.

Because those "cheap deals" are more expensive than what you can find in a first contract player and there's this thing called a salary cap and any educated fan should care how their team spends their money.

Some people can handle the self scouting and discuss it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure what it matters when they both signed cheap deals. Criticizing for these moves is nitpicking at its finest.

It's because people generally have a poor grasp of how a veteran role player can sometimes be more valuable than a college draft pick or a street free agent. In this case, they're underestimating Hanna's blocking and Wilber's STs and ability to play assignment-sound football at multiple positions on defense. They overvalue upside and undervalue experience.

Wilber's a relatively inexpensive 1 year rental. But Hanna's deal is more interesting. Basically, when Escobar went down with the achilles they elected to lock him up as the TE2 for the rest of Witten's career. He's got a decent cap hit next year and in 2018. But he's a pretty good player for us in that role, too.