Why do the Lions & Cowboys always play on Thanksgiving?

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
36.jpg
by Ethan Trex - November 26, 2008 - 9:00 AM

lions-thanksgiving.jpg
You hear the same phrases every Thanksgiving. “Please pass the gravy.” “Actually, can I have the gravy again? I missed a spot.” And “Ugh, why do we have to watch the Lions play again this year?” Every year since 1934, they have taken the field for a Thanksgiving game, no matter how bad their record has been. When this year’s hapless 0-11 squad squares off against the powerhouse Tennessee Titans, you might find yourself wondering how the lowly Lions managed to get the plum gig of playing a nationally televised game every Turkey Day. So what’s the origin of Detroit’s most beloved tradition this side of “Fire Millen!” chants? And what about the other Thanksgiving stalwart, the Dallas Cowboys?
It all goes back to when the Lions were still a fairly young franchise. The team started in 1929 in Portsmouth, Ohio, as the Spartans. Portsmouth, while surely a lovely town, wasn’t quite big enough to support a pro team in the young NFL. Detroit radio station owner George A. Richards bought the Spartans and moved the team to Detroit in 1934.
Although Richards’ new squad was a solid team, they were clearly playing second fiddle in Detroit to the Hank Greenberg-led Tigers, who had gone 101-53 to win the 1934 American League Pennant. In the early weeks of the 1934 season, the biggest crowd the Lions could draw for a game was a relatively paltry 15,000. Desperate for a marketing trick to get Detroit excited about its fledgling football franchisee, Richards hit on the idea of playing a game on Thanksgiving. Since Richards’ WJR was one of the bigger radio stations in the country, he had considerable clout with his network and convinced NBC to broadcast a Thanksgiving game on 94 stations nationwide.
The move worked brilliantly. The undefeated Bears rolled into town as defending NFL champions, and since the Lions had only one loss, the winner of the first Thanksgiving game would take the NFL’s Western Division. The Lions not only sold out their 26,000-seat stadium, they also had to turn fans away at the gate. Even though the juggernaut Bears won that game, the tradition took hold, and that’s why the Lions still play on Thanksgiving.
But what about the Dallas Cowboys?

The Cowboys, too, jumped on the opportunity to play on Thanksgiving as an extra little bump for their popularity. When the chance to take the field on arose in 1966, it might not have been a huge benefit for the Cowboys. Sure, the Lions had filled their stadium for their Thanksgiving games, but that was no reassurance that Texans would warm to holiday football quite so quickly.
807631-Dallas_Cowboys_Stadium-Dallas.jpg
Cowboys general manager Tex Schramm, though, was something of marketing genius; among his other achievements was the creation of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.

Schramm saw the Thanksgiving Day game as a great way to get the team some national publicity even as it struggled under a young head coach named Tom Landry. Schramm signed the Cowboys up for the game even though the NFL was worried that the fans might just not show up—the league guaranteed the team a certain gate revenue in case nobody bought tickets. But the fans showed up in droves, and the team broke its attendance record as 80,259 crammed into the Cotton Bowl. The Cowboys beat the Cleveland Browns 26-14 that day, and a second Thanksgiving pigskin tradition caught hold. Since 1966, the Cowboys have missed having Thanksgiving games only twice.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Blast From The Past;2444748 said:
36.jpg
by Ethan Trex - November 26, 2008 - 9:00 AM

lions-thanksgiving.jpg
You hear the same phrases every Thanksgiving. “Please pass the gravy.” “Actually, can I have the gravy again? I missed a spot.” And “Ugh, why do we have to watch the Lions play again this year?” Every year since 1934, they have taken the field for a Thanksgiving game, no matter how bad their record has been. When this year’s hapless 0-11 squad squares off against the powerhouse Tennessee Titans, you might find yourself wondering how the lowly Lions managed to get the plum gig of playing a nationally televised game every Turkey Day. So what’s the origin of Detroit’s most beloved tradition this side of “Fire Millen!” chants? And what about the other Thanksgiving stalwart, the Dallas Cowboys?
It all goes back to when the Lions were still a fairly young franchise. The team started in 1929 in Portsmouth, Ohio, as the Spartans. Portsmouth, while surely a lovely town, wasn’t quite big enough to support a pro team in the young NFL. Detroit radio station owner George A. Richards bought the Spartans and moved the team to Detroit in 1934.
Although Richards’ new squad was a solid team, they were clearly playing second fiddle in Detroit to the Hank Greenberg-led Tigers, who had gone 101-53 to win the 1934 American League Pennant. In the early weeks of the 1934 season, the biggest crowd the Lions could draw for a game was a relatively paltry 15,000. Desperate for a marketing trick to get Detroit excited about its fledgling football franchisee, Richards hit on the idea of playing a game on Thanksgiving. Since Richards’ WJR was one of the bigger radio stations in the country, he had considerable clout with his network and convinced NBC to broadcast a Thanksgiving game on 94 stations nationwide.
The move worked brilliantly. The undefeated Bears rolled into town as defending NFL champions, and since the Lions had only one loss, the winner of the first Thanksgiving game would take the NFL’s Western Division. The Lions not only sold out their 26,000-seat stadium, they also had to turn fans away at the gate. Even though the juggernaut Bears won that game, the tradition took hold, and that’s why the Lions still play on Thanksgiving.
But what about the Dallas Cowboys?

The Cowboys, too, jumped on the opportunity to play on Thanksgiving as an extra little bump for their popularity. When the chance to take the field on arose in 1966, it might not have been a huge benefit for the Cowboys. Sure, the Lions had filled their stadium for their Thanksgiving games, but that was no reassurance that Texans would warm to holiday football quite so quickly.
807631-Dallas_Cowboys_Stadium-Dallas.jpg
Cowboys general manager Tex Schramm, though, was something of marketing genius; among his other achievements was the creation of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.

Schramm saw the Thanksgiving Day game as a great way to get the team some national publicity even as it struggled under a young head coach named Tom Landry. Schramm signed the Cowboys up for the game even though the NFL was worried that the fans might just not show up—the league guaranteed the team a certain gate revenue in case nobody bought tickets. But the fans showed up in droves, and the team broke its attendance record as 80,259 crammed into the Cotton Bowl. The Cowboys beat the Cleveland Browns 26-14 that day, and a second Thanksgiving pigskin tradition caught hold. Since 1966, the Cowboys have missed having Thanksgiving games only twice.

All these people and writers whine but the other teams had there chance and they chocked. A tradition is born and guess what it should stay that way.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Kangaroo;2444782 said:
All these people and writers whine but the other teams had there chance and they chocked. A tradition is born and guess what it should stay that way.

The lions should not be allowed to play on national tv or tv in general until they have a real team.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I remember them not being on US Thanksgiving in 1977 when St Louis played Miami. Does anyone remember why that happened that year?

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
locked&loaded;2444797 said:
The lions should not be allowed to play on national tv or tv in general until they have a real team.

tradition is tradition...weve ran some pretty bad teams out there over the years as well.......if Detroit is made to give up their annual game the league would want the Boys to do the same

locked&loaded

Reaction score
dadymat;2444804 said:
tradition is tradition...weve ran some pretty bad teams out there over the years as well.......if Detroit is made to give up their annual game the league would want the Boys to do the same

Either way the cowboys are americas team, followed by all. No one gives a lick about the lions.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
They should take the Lions game away from them (for the benefit of all humanity) and let an AFC team host. The Patriots maybe? The Colts?

As far as Dallas goes, even when we've had bad teams we are still one of the most watched teams in all of sports.

BLT

Reaction score
it would not be fair at all to say that detroit shouldnt be allowed to play on thanksgiving and the cowboys should... the tradition is tradition, both teams every year. No matter what.

seniorette

Reaction score
Why do the Lions play on Thanksgiving?
Why do hurricanes come from the East?
Why do the Cowboys play on Thanksgiving?
Why does the Sunshine on Dallas?
God made it that way!!!!

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
dadymat;2444804 said:

Not quite comparing apples to apples here:

The Dallas Cowboys are the most successful franchise of the SuperBowl era, the Lions are among the least successful (ahead of only the Saints, Cards, & Texans).

Case closed.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
BLT;2444842 said:
it would not be fair at all to say that detroit shouldnt be allowed to play on thanksgiving and the cowboys should... the tradition is tradition, both teams every year. No matter what.

if your family has a tradition and it turns sour, or awful or unbearable youll start a new tradition. WE DEMAND CHANGE.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
locked&loaded;2444797 said:

The Lions should have their franchise revoked.

BC27

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2444799 said:
I remember them not being on US Thanksgiving in 1977 when St Louis played Miami. Does anyone remember why that happened that year?
I heard the NFL wanted to let other teams have a chance at the Thanksgiving game, but the ratings were low and and most teams were not interested in it. The NFL ask the Cowboys if they wanted it again and Tex Schramm said the Cowboys would take back on the condition they had it every year and they were at home, and the NFL agreed.

Eddie

Reaction score
Turkey and Cowboys football are Thanksgiving traditions!!

It should never change.

The Lions game is always the opening act.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
BC27;2444970 said:
I heard the NFL wanted to let other teams have a chance at the Thanksgiving game, but the ratings were low and and most teams were not interested in it. The NFL ask the Cowboys if they wanted it again and Tex Schramm said the Cowboys would take back on the condition they had it every year and they were at home, and the NFL agreed.

ah thanks, I thought that might be the reason

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2444825 said:
They should take the Lions game away from them (for the benefit of all humanity) and let an AFC team host. The Patriots maybe? The Colts?

As far as Dallas goes, even when we've had bad teams we are still one of the most watched teams in all of sports.

I know why Dallas always plays on Thanksgiving...........because the entire Planet watches. The Lions do not deserve ANY televised games....Sundays, Monday Night, whatever............

The logical choice for the other Thanksgiving day game would probably be Pittsburgh. No other team in the AFC has a longer standing fan base with national appeal. Probably the biggest fan base amongst AFC teams from coast to coast has well. The Raiders have national appeal with a big base, but they don't rise to the top and stay on top as consistently as the Steelers do.In fact, outside of that SB season when they lost to Tampa, they've been a wreck for a looooong time. Every decade since the 70's, the Steelers seem to be "in play" and at some point a contender. I don't recall them being off the perch for any long period of time since the 70's.
If the NFL wants maximum exposure on Thanksgiving, Dallas of course should remain, and the Steelers should get the other game.
I hardly even listen to or take a glimpse at the Lion game. That's the time I'm making the turkey and working my arse off for the feast. If the Steelers were playing, say, the Broncos or the Packers, I'd at least have the volume up REAL loud during that prep time..............

Don Corleone

Reaction score
lewpac;2445239 said:
I know why Dallas always plays on Thanksgiving...........because the entire Planet watches. The Lions do not deserve ANY televised games....Sundays, Monday Night, whatever............

The logical choice for the other Thanksgiving day game would probably be Pittsburgh. No other team in the AFC has a longer standing fan base with national appeal. Probably the biggest fan base amongst AFC teams from coast to coast has well. The Raiders have national appeal with a big base, but they don't rise to the top and stay on top as consistently as the Steelers do.In fact, outside of that SB season when they lost to Tampa, they've been a wreck for a looooong time. Every decade since the 70's, the Steelers seem to be "in play" and at some point a contender. I don't recall them being off the perch for any long period of time since the 70's.
If the NFL wants maximum exposure on Thanksgiving, Dallas of course should remain, and the Steelers should get the other game.
I hardly even listen to or take a glimpse at the Lion game. That's the time I'm making the turkey and working my arse off for the feast. If the Steelers were playing, say, the Broncos or the Packers, I'd at least have the volume up REAL loud during that prep time..............

Sure, but past success, no matter over what length of time, is no guarantee of future success. For all we know, the Steelers could tank the very same year they're given that game.

I do agree though on awarding these games to teams with big, established fan bases. I've yet to meet a Detroit Lions fan, and yes, I did live in Michigan for a year.