Why do we need a "complimentary back" to Barber?

Jake0

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the way we ran things last year, both of our RBs just played their ENTIRE series alternating back and forth while keeping the other man fresh. In this case, why do we need a "speed back" that isn't good between the tackles to compliment Barber instead of just a second back to give Barber a breather? He's not going to be our 3rd down back since Barber is a really good 3rd down back anyways.

Maybe it's just me, but I felt our identity was our bruising O-Line that wore people down throughout the game. If we had both Mendenhall and Barber, you alternate 2 bruiser backs and you just get chunks of yardage while wearing down the opposing defense. I'd MUCH rather have 2 backs that get frequent first downs and more 4-7 yard runs that give us shorter 3rd downs than some random home run hit here and there with a TON of 1-2 yard runs.

Our kickoff returns have always been fine, we just needed a punt returner to replace fair catch crayton. The prospect of Felix splitting out wide... doesn't seem to intrigue me more than having Mendenhall as a "compliment" to Barber. Plus Mendenhall is a much better insurance policy if Barber gets himself hurt. I just don't see why we needed this guy enough to pass on Mendenhall... and I know 40 times don't tell the story about running backs, but when you are a speed back that runs a 4.47 it does bother me a bit and when I see that we get this speed back that runs a 4.47 instead of a bruiser back that is rated much more highly on pretty much everyone's draft board who runs a 4.38... ok what the hell.

I know this topic is being beat to death but seriously... what the hell.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It gives the defenses more that they have to account for and thus gameplan prepare for.

I would have preferred Mendenhall myself but its not like Jones cannot run between th tackles. Sure hes not going to push a pile or flatten Urlacher like MB3 can but hes got the vision balance and instincts to be effective. Ive seen him enough to know that he will stick his nose in there hes just not ideally powerful for the inside runner role.

MONT17

Reaction score
Jake0;2056664 said:
If I'm not mistaken, the way we ran things last year, both of our RBs just played their ENTIRE series alternating back and forth while keeping the other man fresh. In this case, why do we need a "speed back" that isn't good between the tackles to compliment Barber instead of just a second back to give Barber a breather? He's not going to be our 3rd down back since Barber is a really good 3rd down back anyways.

Maybe it's just me, but I felt our identity was our bruising O-Line that wore people down throughout the game. If we had both Mendenhall and Barber, you alternate 2 bruiser backs and you just get chunks of yardage while wearing down the opposing defense. I'd MUCH rather have 2 backs that get frequent first downs and more 4-7 yard runs that give us shorter 3rd downs than some random home run hit here and there with a TON of 1-2 yard runs.

Our kickoff returns have always been fine, we just needed a punt returner to replace fair catch crayton. The prospect of Felix splitting out wide... doesn't seem to intrigue me more than having Mendenhall as a "compliment" to Barber. Plus Mendenhall is a much better insurance policy if Barber gets himself hurt. I just don't see why we needed this guy enough to pass on Mendenhall... and I know 40 times don't tell the story about running backs, but when you are a speed back that runs a 4.47 it does bother me a bit and when I see that we get this speed back that runs a 4.47 instead of a bruiser back that is rated much more highly on pretty much everyone's draft board who runs a 4.38... ok what the hell.

You forgot about the WOW factor...

its almost like the 2 TEs Jerry sold everyone when the BP drafted fasano!!!

its called we wernt prepared so we have to use spin

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
MONT17;2056676 said:

Yeah, the spinmasters are mad at work right now. Sooner or later, after the initial shock, most zoners will be on board with whatever BS Jerry feeds them, just give him time, he is as good as a used car salesman.

We got decent talent in the draft, but at the spots we got them and the picks we used was an awful waste of resources and horrible planning.

I agree, the thunder and lightening analogy is really old, and we didn't really use it last year at all. Now Felix is better equiped than Julius for this role, and hopefully they put more packages in like Bush (not saying Felix is Bush at all). What was really needed was another quality complete back, but what we got was more of a role player in the first round.

At least we got another TE....:rolleyes:

Woods

Reaction score
I would have preferred Mendenhall, but I can understand the rationale for taking F Jones.

F Jones just gives Red a lot of options on offense, and it appears that MBIII is going to be sticking with the Cowboys for an extended period.

I suppose F Jones is the "A Bradshaw" that the Giants have, except of course that F Jones is a lot more deadly. He can pretty much play anywhere on offense except on the OL.

dooomsday

Reaction score
MONT17;2056676 said:

"its called we wernt prepared so we have to use spin"

Exactly!

dooomsday

Reaction score
Jake0;2056664 said:

Complementary can mean many things. Jones has a style that complements MB. That doesnt mean he wont split carries. The knock on BOTH or RBs is the ability to carry the ball every down. Neither has to now. I expect Jones to play quite a bit. He runs very well. The concern is the pounding.

I dont like our KRs. Occasionally they flashed some straight ahead speed with TT and Austin over the last couple years. But they are easily upgraded and it will have tremendous impact IMO. We may go from below average to the best in the league in PR and KOs!!! Jenkins also returns kicks at a 30 yard clip.

Our STs are significantly better today with the addition of all the picks!

Jake0

Reaction score
Yeah but Barber would still be splitting carries if we had Mendenhall too, but instead of some speed back change of pace that seems to work about 10% of the time, it'd be double the power and double the punishment on the opposing defense.

Matchup and gameplan issues I can understand to an extent... Felix does somewhat cause teams to have another dimension to worry about... but so does having to keep your defense fresh from getting pounded by a barber/mendenhall duo.

Well just saw the tashard choice pick.. I suppose that helps a bit... still would rather have taken Mendenhall though.

sbark

Reaction score
Analysis has it that T.Choice is very similar runner to MBIII----

Derinyar

Reaction score
I don't think we're likely to see consistent 20+ carry games out of Barber. I think theres no reason to believe he can do that.

I'm guessing close to a 60/40 split is where we are going to end up at.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
We had no speed on offense. We got Felix Jones. He is a big play guy. The dude averaged 8.7 YPC. That's the 2nd best in NCAA history. We needed speed on offense and big play threat, and Jones was the better pick over Mendenhall.