why does everyone want tweeners?

Cradle

Benched
Reaction score
when the year first started everyone was pumped about our lb's.. they were so fast and small. it was the strength of our d. what happened all of a sudden to cause us to want to spend a first round pick on a lb? seems we have bigger holes elsewhere.

i thought the whole concept of parcells defensive scheme was to gain size and toughness to our inept small defense.

what about merriman do we need? seems that he would be just another average to below average undersized olb on our team, like coakley.

and who in there right mind would take spears at #11? havent we learned our lesson here.. umm i think his name is greg ellis? ellis obviously didnt warrant a #8 pick, neither does spears. we need that true pass rusher, not another "well he does ok". i want a double digit sack artist with that #11 pick if we go that route.

i'm going to be completely thrown through a loop is we pick either of these guys in the first round.

hawthorne i could see with #20, he'd open things up for our smaller lb's. we need a playmaker with pick #11.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Cradle said:
when the year first started everyone was pumped about our lb's.. they were so fast and small. it was the strength of our d. what happened all of a sudden to cause us to want to spend a first round pick on a lb? seems we have bigger holes elsewhere.

i thought the whole concept of parcells defensive scheme was to gain size and toughness to our inept small defense.

what about merriman do we need? seems that he would be just another average to below average undersized olb on our team, like coakley.

and who in there right mind would take spears at #11? havent we learned our lesson here.. umm i think his name is greg ellis? ellis obviously didnt warrant a #8 pick, neither does spears. we need that true pass rusher, not another "well he does ok". i want a double digit sack artist with that #11 pick if we go that route.

i'm going to be completely thrown through a loop is we pick either of these guys in the first round.

hawthorne i could see with #20, he'd open things up for our smaller lb's. we need a playmaker with pick #11.

Yes...I'm not sure what would give you this impression....the guy is a pretty big olb, he's only undersized as a DE.

Ditto for Tuck, Ware and most everyone else this board is interested in.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Coakley, the undersized PRO BOWLER!! Yes, I'll have another!

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If you go to the Cowboys website, look at their broadcasts archives, they probably still have up Bill Parcells final press conference in which he states the Cowboys will probably look for an undersized “crash” defensive end tweener in the offseason .. which confirms something Jerry had been saying for quite sometime on Norm Hitzges interviews.

This stuff isn’t unfounded.

Secondly, not everyone was completely stoked and amped about our LB core before the season started. Not by a long shot. Coakley does some things very well for a LB (pass defense, lateral persuit), and he does some things very poor for a LB (blitz, fight through a block, keep a ball carrier from falling forward for an extra 2-3 yards once contact has been made).

nathanlt

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
If you go to the Cowboys website, look at their broadcasts archives, they probably still have up Bill Parcells final press conference in which he states the Cowboys will probably look for an undersized “crash” defensive end tweener in the offseason .. which confirms something Jerry had been saying for quite sometime on Norm Hitzges interviews.

This stuff isn’t unfounded.

Secondly, not everyone was completely stoked and amped about our LB core before the season started. Not by a long shot. Coakley does some things very well for a LB (pass defense, lateral persuit), and he does some things very poor for a LB (blitz, fight through a block, keep a ball carrier from falling forward for an extra 2-3 yards once contact has been made).

Coakley, as an undersized LB, did very well in his earlier years. His speed made him a premier LB. As he ages, his speed declines, and he will just be an undersized LB. That's happening now. If Dallas gets Coakley production for a few years from any LB in the draft, that pick will be considered successful.