Why Does His Name Sound So Familiar?

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
the rams released a safety named Micheal Hawthorne. Does anybody know anything about this guy? Is he worth a look? Just curious.

Eskimo

Reaction score
torrescatch22 said:
the rams released a safety named Micheal Hawthorne. Does anybody know anything about this guy? Is he worth a look? Just curious.

We had a CB about 3 years ago named Duane Hawthorne - maybe that's why it seems familiar. Don't know anything about this fellow.

rathalarge

Reaction score
Played a couple of years in Green Bay. Probably related to Elvis 'Toast' Patterson.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Is tall, times jumps fairly well and is capable of competing for jump balls in the red zone and downfield. Possesses adequate ball skills and flashes the ability to make the big play downfield. Does a good job of anticipating the snap, takes the shortest path to the ball and can get to the quarterback when asked to blitz. Has experience lining up at corner and safety and is versatile. However, Hawthorne isn't dominant in any one area and he doesn't have great upside. While has adequate size, doesn't play with great leverage, takes too long to shed blocks and isn't an in-the-box safety at this point. Doesn't have great top-end speed, doesn't open hips well when forced to turn and run and receivers will have some success getting behind him.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
At this point in the season, any player released by a club is not likely to be any good, unless a team is in a dire straits position, and even then they would have traded for him. So, if a team cuts a player in October, forget him.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
torrescatch22 said:

no, he isnt

thats unless Texas Stadium is needing another good peanut bag thrower

David

jem88

Reaction score
rathalarge said:
Played a couple of years in Green Bay. Probably related to Elvis 'Toast' Patterson.
What a great special teamer Patterson was! He and Fishback were great pickups.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
jem88 said:
What a great special teamer Patterson was! He and Fishback were great pickups.

and dont forget the great Matt Vanderbeek...he was also a good special teamer

david

AtlCB

Reaction score
torrescatch22 said:
Hawthorne isn't any better than what we have now. I'll pass.

BlueWave

Reaction score
Did anyone see Playbook on the NFL Channel yesterday. They did an entire segment dedicated to showing how this guy single handedly lost the game to Seattle by giving up two long touchdowns against the Seahawks. He got released because he was so bad. This guy will probably end up at BurgerWorld. Besides, we already have two safties who single handedly lose game by giving up two long touchdowns.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I want to know when Adam Arculeta is a FA.

He would make this team so complete.

Hed prob. cost a little, but we got room.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th said:

Archuleta is a FA after this year. See this thread.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37630&highlight=2006

I don't know if he is a pure FS, but he might match the interchangeable safety scheme run previously with Woodson and Williams. I don't think he is anywhere near Woodson caliber though.

Gets good depth and can cover a lot of ground when asked to drop into zone coverage. Gets adequate knee bend in backpedal and shows good burst to the ball when coming forward. Times hits well and punishes receivers over the middle. Does a good job of anticipating snaps, takes the shortest path to the ball and can get to the quarterback when asked to blitz. However, Archuleta can be too aggressive and will get caught out of position at times. Lacks ideal recognition skills, takes some false steps and is vulnerable to play action and pump fakes. Took some poor angles last year and should have made more plays in pursuit. Doesn't always breakdown in space and misses some open field tackles trying to deliver the big hit rather that wrapping up.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th said:

Archuleta is horrendous in coverage, I think the Rams legitimately though of moving him to OLB because of it

he isnt a ball hawk at all

David

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Someone should make a list of the short-timer veterans who helped Dallas in the past, like Patterson, Fishback etc. Don't forget Scott Case. In Super Bowl XXX, he was giving some big hits to those Steeler receivers.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
torrescatch22 said:

Name sounds familiar probably because M.Hawthorne - as a rookie - intercepted Quincy Carter and ran it back for a TD in a preseason game vs N.O. a few years ago.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Is Davis a ball hawk?

Were the Oakland or Washington games his fault?
WE dont need a ball hawk, itd be great, but its not a neccesity, esp. with the line and corners we have, as long as he doesnt get beat deep.

Archuleta has terrible hands tho, he wouldnt even get gift INT's