Why has Al singleton not been cut yet?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Everyone knows I don't like Al Singleton.

But at 2.17 million dollars + 500k for his signing bonus = 2.67 million dollar cap hit...

Coming off a season ending injury...

I mean Akin Ayodele barely makes that much in his second contract year.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They will most likely keep him into training camp and pre-season and hope he gets beat out by one of the other linebackers. Basically an insurance policy.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Good point.

This is what I basically see happening.

Ware - James - Ayodele - Lawson (Draft)
Thornton - Boimon - Shanle - Burnett

I just don't know that parcells would appreciate the inexperience.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Reality said:
They will most likely keep him into training camp and pre-season and hope he gets beat out by one of the other linebackers. Basically an insurance policy.
:hammer: He was the only SOLB that could contain the outside last season, hopefully Burnett, Thornton, or a rookie can do the job and add some pass rush to the mix.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
He offers absolutely no pass rush. And as for containing the rush outside... in 8 games he had 13 tackles... I don't know what you think he did...

Fujita had far more impact than Singleton did.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
what scares me is that if we cut singleton we dont have a SOLB that has actually played in the NFL, and by played i mean wasnt injured or isnt going to be a rookie . . . so singleton will be around until he gets beat out like reality said or until we sign a bigger player with experience.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
We can always use Ayodele outside. And if burnett fares well play him inside.

I think Ayodele + Burnett + Lawson is a good enough bet. I mean look what we did on the outside with Ware last year... Ware + Ogbogu... I mean come on...

aznhalf

Reaction score
In a 3-4 you can never have enough linebackers!! Though his contract is a bit high for a back up, we need the experience he brings.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
He offers absolutely no pass rush. And as for containing the rush outside... in 8 games he had 13 tackles... I don't know what you think he did...

First, learn how to read. I said that I hope one of the others can contain the outside and add a pass rush. It doesn't matter how many tackles he was credited for, when he was in there he was able to force the rb inside where they had no where to run. When he was injured Fujita could not do that and teams ran off tackle all over the defense.

Gordon

Reaction score
Tobal said:
The defense did play better with him

Yeah, but Anthony Henry and Dat Nguyen both got hurt around the same time as him, so the drop off in defense falls with them going down as well.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
Good point.

This is what I basically see happening.

Ware - James - Ayodele - Lawson (Draft)
Thornton - Boimon - Shanle - Burnett

I just don't know that parcells would appreciate the inexperience.

Fowler over Shanle...Shanle's worthless.

irishwaste

Reaction score
I think it is best for us to hang onto him. Frankly our LB corps is just too thin and unexperienced to cut him.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Unless we bring in another vet, his roster spot is probably secure for another year. We are still pretty thin overall at LB for a 3-4 defense. We are just used to carrying only 6 LBs because you didn't need many in the 4-3.

ddh33

Reaction score
It could be that Singleton is not as bad as some have made him out to be. The guy does his job quietly, and he doesn't cause any problems. I'm sure the team wouldn't mind keeping him. Likewise, I'm sure they wouldn't mind finding an upgrade. But he is a solid player.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
ddh33 said:
It could be that Singleton is not as bad as some have made him out to be. The guy does his job quietly, and he doesn't cause any problems. I'm sure the team wouldn't mind keeping him. Likewise, I'm sure they wouldn't mind finding an upgrade. But he is a solid player.

Exactly. I was more impressed with his play than Fujita's. I think everyone just remembers Fujita's sack and forced fumble when Larry Johnson ole'd him.

Another thing to consider, this is a very young LBing corps. Some vet experience could be handy. Ware was on record saying how important Singleton was last year after his injury. Getting people lined up, helping with assignments, etc.

However, if the team can add some depth in the draft, I still wouldn't be surprised to see him cut.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Financially, it doesn't hurt the team to keep him through camp. His signing bonus portion of the cap is pretty low. It is his base salary that makes his cap number moderately high. If he doesn't make it through camp, they can cut him and that portion goes away. If they need that space now, they can cut him now. It just doesn't need to be a priority at this point. They may wait until after the draft to see what other linebackers they are able to draft or pick up as UDFAs. His presence doesn' hurt the team.

superpunk

Reaction score
Galian Beast said:

Stats or no...for whatever reason, our run defense was way better when he was healthy - but I doubt that's the only reason.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
Everyone knows I don't like Al Singleton.

But at 2.17 million dollars + 500k for his signing bonus = 2.67 million dollar cap hit...

Coming off a season ending injury...

I mean Akin Ayodele barely makes that much in his second contract year.

ayodele will play inside. but singleton was the starting OLB. we don't have a replacement yet. worse yet we don't have a back up for either OLB spots.

Rumor

Reaction score
Singleton will be in a cowboys uniform next yr...I believe that to be fairly simple to see.