Why has Romo stopped running...

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
One thing that Romo does not do anymore is run when he has an opportunity. When he first started playing regularly, he would pull the ball down and run when a play was not there. And at some point last year he stopped doing that. I think one of the advantages of Romo is to pull the ball down and run. And since he does not do that anymore it doesn't keep the defense from going all out. I think a running QB keeps the defense guessing when he start running outside the pocket. I think the 2 big mistakes that Romo made last week with the pick and fumble could have been avoided if he pulled the ball down and tried running. I know he likes to look downfield when he gets a big rush on him, but sometimes a mistake could be avoided if he just took the 8 or 10 yard versus always looking for the big play....Just my 2 cents...

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
JakeCamp12;2273849 said:
One thing that Romo does not do anymore is run when he has an opportunity. When he first started playing regularly, he would pull the ball down and run when a play was not there. And at some point last year he stopped doing that. I think one of the advantages of Romo is to pull the ball down and run. And since he does not do that anymore it doesn't keep the defense from going all out. I think a running QB keeps the defense guessing when he start running outside the pocket. I think the 2 big mistakes that Romo made last week with the pick and fumble could have been avoided if he pulled the ball down and tried running. I know he likes to look downfield when he gets a big rush on him, but sometimes a mistake could be avoided if he just took the 8 or 10 yard versus always looking for the big play....Just my 2 cents...
Just for the record, their's nothing wrong with our offense. But really their's no need to run if you absolutely don't have too. Sometimes, you have to just let that play die, and live to see another down.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
He broke one for 6-7 yds on Monday:starspin

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
he hasn't been running because he hasn't had to...... our O line has kept him clear....the only times he really takes off is when he is in trouble...

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
I made this point in a previous post.

You are spoiled by what you get with Romo. Trust me. This is a good problem to have when your QB keeps his eyes downfield.

Just trust me when I say this...if this is your main worry about Romo, and that is he doesnt run enough and keeps his eyes downfield for a big play, we have a damn good QB.

When you get the other side of the spectrum and the QB feels the pressure, takes his eyes away from his receivers, and looks to run, the results are meager at best.

Just enjoy our QB we have... he's a good one.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Romo doesn't run because Johnson can't pass or run, or hand off.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Clove;2273858 said:
Just for the record, their's nothing wrong with our offense. But really their's no need to run if you absolutely don't have too. Sometimes, you have to just let that play die, and live to see another down.

Agree and disagree. There have been times where the play didnt have to die when he running lanes. When that happens I say run.

NextGenBoys;2273890 said:
Just trust me when I say this...if this is your main worry about Romo, and that is he doesnt run enough and keeps his eyes downfield for a big play, we have a damn good QB.

When you get the other side of the spectrum and the QB feels the pressure, takes his eyes away from his receivers, and looks to run, the results are meager at best.

On the same note... if he just sits back there because he can it will come to bite him/us in the butt. You see what Cleveland eventually did. Made him the meat in the sandwich because they made it a point to. If he always stays back there then defenses WILL ALWAYS know where he will be.

Like I said, if the lanes are there and there is no pass play - then RUN!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
69 points in two games. That pace will get you 552 points for the year. And all this time I thought what we really need was a true #2 WR.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
No need to run. He is not taking sacks and is playing smart.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2273934 said:
69 points in two games. That pace will get you 552 points for the year. And all this time I thought what we really need was a true #2 WR.

Agreed its a potent offense. But if he needs to run he should. In the playoffs it could be the difference in advancing or defenses getting momentum etc.

Nav22

Reaction score
The only times that I prefer that he run are when it's 3rd and short and he has a clear lane in front of him.

Warick

Reaction score
If there is no where to throw the ball, and he has a running lane, run. If not, throw the ball away. I think that's what made him dangerous when he first started. It kept the D on their toes when he would take off and get the first down.

sago1

Reaction score
Romo is 6-2, 225. An occasional run is one thing, but I don't want to take the chance of Romo darting around too often. Last thing we need is for him to get hurt while he's running the ball. Realize he can also get hurt staying in the pocket which is how it happened to Brady but he's a heck of a lot bigger then is Romo. Make no mistake. If Romo takes off running the ball, the defense will make sure they really hit him as hard as then can. Everybody knows, if Romo goes down so do the Cowboys.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Somebody hasn't been watching the Steelers/Eagles game.

Running is extremely overrated. Guys like Chris Collinsworth and Ron Jaworski have stated this several times.

Its all about subtle moves in the pocket and have that sixth sense to feel the pressure.

Big Ben has been sacked 6th times and knocked down 8 times in the 1st half, how many times was Tony Romo sacked all game on Monday?

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
thekavorka;2273936 said:
i'd rather seem him just throw the ball away more if stuff isn't there

Agreed. I love how Romo constantly looks down field for the big play, but that can come back to bite you sometimes.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Nav22;2273988 said:
The only times that I prefer that he run are when it's 3rd and short and he has a clear lane in front of him.

Sold! I will take it.

Ominous Oracle;2273994 said:
Agreed. I love how Romo constantly looks down field for the big play, but that can come back to bite you sometimes.

Yes and yes.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JakeCamp12 said:
Why has Romo stopped running...
...because Jessica stopped hinting at him with the 'M' word..? :confused:

Just kidding. ;)