Why I'm still hopeful...again.

SquiggDoggs

Reaction score
With Romo out the next two games we will most likely lose...so we are 4-5 into bye week...Romo comes back (healthy we all hope)...he would need to win out in order to take the team to 11-5 that should get you into the playoffs...that’s tough to do but I think it is possible...last year cowboys went on to win 7 in a row...Eagles, Giants, Skins, and the 12-1 Packers amongst those 7 teams...Cowboys won in big fashion most of them games...D played okay gave up 27 points in 2 of those wins...this is a different team though...Romo will be back, you got Roy and TO, Felix should be back as well...I think this team has a good possibility of winning out...it would be a long shot but the good thing is you only play one game at a time...this is my story and I'm going to stick with it...you never know 10-6 could be good enough for wild card...and D may step up and win a game in these next 2 weeks...I've waited and watched for too long to give up on my boys this early in the season.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
It's possible but it will be 4-6 weeks before not only everyone is back but back on track.

spook930

Reaction score
dont know about the win out part but i do still think we make the play-off

Boysboy

Reaction score
SquiggDoggs;2364229 said:
With Romo out the next two games we will most likely lose...so we are 4-5 into bye week...Romo comes back (healthy we all hope)...he would need to win out in order to take the team to 11-5 that should get you into the playoffs...that’s tough to do but I think it is possible...last year cowboys went on to win 7 in a row...Eagles, Giants, Skins, and the 12-1 Packers amongst those 7 teams...Cowboys won in big fashion most of them games...D played okay gave up 27 points in 2 of those wins...this is a different team though...Romo will be back, you got Roy and TO, Felix should be back as well...I think this team has a good possibility of winning out...it would be a long shot but the good thing is you only play one game at a time...this is my story and I'm going to stick with it...you never know 10-6 could be good enough for wild card...and D may step up and win a game in these next 2 weeks...I've waited and watched for too long to give up on my boys this early in the season.

I've seen the '86 season. I've seen the '97 season. I've seen the '04 season.

IOW-I've seen it ALL to know enough that this '08 season is shaping up to be a carbon copy of all 3 of those seasons...preseason favorites, fast start, despite the blazing record still look very lackluster, injuries and inconsistencies subsequently, then ultimately the bottom just craps out at the end with these respective coaches losing control of their teams.

I hope I'm wrong, but the '08 script seems to be going as exactly as the other 3.

Boysboy

Reaction score
windward;2364288 said:
When did we start out fast in 2004?

After an ugly loss @Minny on opening weekend, we subsequently won our next 2. Our D really picked up against Garcia's Browns in wk2, and we won a nailbiter in the first Parcells vs. Gibbs matchup in almost 15 years on Mon Night @FedEx going into the bye.

We subsequently started out the bye with 2 home games against the Giants and Steelers...coulda, woulda, shoulda...we blew so many opportunities to be 4-1, but dropped to 2-3 going into Lambeau...we went into tailspin mode from there.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Boysboy;2364306 said:
After an ugly loss @Minny on opening weekend, we subsequently won our next 2. Our D really picked up against Garcia's Browns in wk2, and we won a nailbiter in the first Parcells vs. Gibbs matchup in almost 15 years on Mon Night @FedEx going into the bye.

We subsequently started out the bye with 2 home games against the Giants and Steelers...coulda, woulda, shoulda...we blew so many opportunities to be 4-1, but dropped to 2-3 going into Lambeau...we went into tailspin mode from there.

How is two games a fast start? Garcia's first, and only, year w/ the Browns and a Gibbs coached skins. Whew boy. What a ride!!!

We've been in tail-spin mode for quite awhile up to and including the Parcells era, if one could call it an "era".

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I am too. Just imagine if we can win these two games with an improved defense without Romo? Wouldn't that be a tremendous confidence booster?

Hope doesn't win games or girls like the one in my signature, but it makes you feel better.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Boysboy;2364306 said:

The 2004 Browns were awful. The Skins weren't much better.

Coulda would shouldas don't translate to fast start in my book.

Seven

Reaction score
Boysboy;2364280 said:
I've seen the '86 season. I've seen the '97 season. I've seen the '04 season.

IOW-I've seen it ALL to know enough that this '08 season is shaping up to be a carbon copy of all 3 of those seasons...preseason favorites, fast start, despite the blazing record still look very lackluster, injuries and inconsistencies subsequently, then ultimately the bottom just craps out at the end with these respective coaches losing control of their teams.

I hope I'm wrong, but the '08 script seems to be going as exactly as the other 3.

The '97 and the '04 season..............the coaches never had control in the first place. '86 was a wash with the tide going either way.

BTW - "ALL" is infinite. You shouldn't go there.

Seven

Reaction score
windward;2364350 said:

Exactly. Neither does "seeing it ALL" and then continue to cite 3 season's worth of football......... GMAB.

Boysboy

Reaction score
windward;2364350 said:

OK-Big picture...we got off to PROMISING starts...then something happened along the way which derailed us.

In '86, it was White and Hogeboom going down for the year at the Meadowlands...we were 6-2 at that point, but ended up crapping out to 7-9 with Peliuer(sp) under center.

In '97, we started out with a pounding of the Steelers in Pitt. All looked fine, until the next week @AZ where we looked like a stupid team, and it was up-down from there until we crapped out at the end.

Same with '04-forget all the coulda, woulda, shouldas...we had a chance to build a swagger early on until those back-back gut-wrenching losses to NYG and Pitt at home. We all but got derailed from there. And yes-winning @FedEx in wk3 was big...this Skins team DID have a Top 5 D that year, despite an anemic offense. And our O actually played pretty well against them. Plus the rivalry got rekindled.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Seven;2364351 said:
The '97 and the '04 season..............the coaches never had control in the first place. '86 was a wash with the tide going either way.

BTW - "ALL" is infinite. You shouldn't go there.

Parcells had zip control of his team?:confused:

Seven

Reaction score
Boysboy;2364376 said:
Parcells had zip control of his team?:confused:

You tell me who responded to his brow-beating. Control? In his mind maybe. Control? How many playoff losses? If he was in control why did he "retire" only to become GM/ HC of the Fins? The ONLY thing he had control of was Jerry Jones and I LOVED that because it made JJ squirm. The endless, sleepless nights of no camera face-time, the knee-jerk drafts he was so accustomed to, the slap on the back of a job well done to a "yes" man.

LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!