Why is everyone so concerned about hype?

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
There are probably a half dozen threads on the first page of this forum dealing with players, teams, or coaches that people think are "over-rated" or "over-hyped", what's the deal? Who cares how a guy is hyped or rated anyway? All that matters is how they actually play.

Someone said Reggie Bush is 90% hype, based on what? The guy has yet to play a down in the regular season. Bob Stoops is over rated. Are the Cowboys over rated? Which Manning do you hate the most based on them being over-hyped? Why the fixation on hype and ratings folks? I just don't get it. :bang2:

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
We aren't receiving one tenth the hype that this "Manning Bowl" crap is getting. It makes me ill.

I don't really consider us as being over-hyped. What bothers me is having the onus of this hype being created by TO.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
Because right now before any games have been played there's all hype and no substance. I just can't wait until the season gets going so that we have more to talk about than predictions.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
It seems that quite a few people get very emotionally attached to what the media is saying about our team or other teams they do not like. Personally I am with you and figure that is just their opinion and what they want to believe is good for them. I frankly can't wait until the game starts!:)

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
THUMPER said:
Which game would that be?

The football game...

When I read about all the hype about the Cowboys...I disregard it like the plaque...because it don't mean a thing to me. So, I understand what you are saying...

Show me the money....

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
THUMPER said:
There are probably a half dozen threads on the first page of this forum dealing with players, teams, or coaches that people think are "over-rated" or "over-hyped", what's the deal? Who cares how a guy is hyped or rated anyway? All that matters is how they actually play.

Someone said Reggie Bush is 90% hype, based on what? The guy has yet to play a down in the regular season. Bob Stoops is over rated. Are the Cowboys over rated? Which Manning do you hate the most based on them being over-hyped? Why the fixation on hype and ratings folks? I just don't get it. :bang2:

Yeah I snicker at the hype thing. Hype that is a marketing tool by the NFL, the networks, just about every conceivable thing that is sold. It's that same hype that probably made the majority of us Cowboy's fans.

Imagine that.

People get ticked at Bayless, Engel, Theismann, etc.....who cares? The irony is by complaining to no end about them, you've bought into what they're selling. You're enablers.

Over rated is, well, just that...over rated. The term itself just seems to be a tool by the unimaginationable that really can't convey opinions in mere terms, and find it simpler by capsulating it into 'over rated'.

And I don't even know if 'capsulating' is a word. 'Unimaginationable' for that matter.:p:

Route 66

Reaction score
Bottom line: I would much rather be underhyped than overhyped any day.