Why it will work in Dallas...(long)

dr_hefley

Reaction score
I'm a skeptic, but I choose to remain optimistic. In a best case scenario, here's why it will work.

I don't know much about Owens in SF, but here's my opinion on his demise in Philadelphia. Owens is committed to winning. No doubt about it. You can't look at his physique and have any doubt that he will sacrifice to keep himself in top physical condition. You can't look at his production and claim he isn't a top flight competitor.

TO desperately wanted a championship and had a good chance to get one in Philadelphia. His manic rehab from a broken leg serves as proof of his desire. I really think he was pissed that it didn't seem everyone else on the Eagles was as committed to winning as he was. Donovan did look gassed at the end. Coulda been a concussion, I don't know. But it had to have crossed TO's mind that McChunky coulda been doing some conditioning instead of another soup commercial. Maybe Freddie coulda been working on a JUGS machine instead of running his mouth. Maybe Andy coulda been brushing up on some halftime adjustments instead of putting another Wendy's out of business.

Seeing that opportunity slip away, for whatever reason, had to piss him off. Who could blame him? That was the beginning of the end. No chance to ever get over that hurt.

Fast forward to the Cowboys. Chances are, Bledsoe (love him or hate him) is going to be as committed as anybody to winning a championship. He lifts weights with his linemen for crying out loud! That's commitment. How many times have you seen Bledsoe on TV hawking New England Clam Chowder? Chances are, none. Bledsoe has as much to prove about his worth as anybody in the NFL. He'll work to do that.

Does anybody really doubt that Parcells, given the weapons, would ever let a situation like a SuperBowl get away from him the way Reid did. Parcells is stubborn, but he's also a realist. I think he'd be more successful in implementing halftime adjustments, instead of just thinking it would all work out in the end.

The balance of the Dallas attack has to be enticing. In Philly the ball was thrown between 60 and 70% of the time and Owens had to face double coverage consistently. With a good running game to back him up, Owens has got to see a lot more single coverage. Good for stats, and good for hitting those performance bonuses.

In a nutshell, I think the sense of urgency is greater in Dallas. Bledsoe is getting older, Parcells won't be around forever, and Jerry has to make this work quickly to prove the rest of the NFL wrong. In Philly, they had been to so many championship games that I think they just assumed they'd make it next year if they didn't win the Superbowl that year. That lackadaisacal attitude had to burn TO up, sensing that others around him weren't as driven to win now. I don't think that will be the case in Dallas.

I could be all wet, but I prefer not to take the Chicken Little attitude. Football is still more than 5 months away, and I think it'll be easier to make the time go by if I've got a positive mindset. Who knows, I might be right.

Hiero

Reaction score
its gonna work because:
- we actually paid him, in Phi he was getting screwed bigtime by the contract.
- parcells history of superstars with unique situations (ie LT)
- JJ is a flamboyant owner, he will celebrate TO instead of Lurie who hid him and didnt celebrate his 100th TD a pretty big milestone.
- LA will kick his *** we have players who aren't scared to be leaders like McFlabb.