Why Jones is a better pick than Mendenhall

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
To me Jones was the better pick. Why? Some backs require more carries to get into the flow of the game and get going. Emmitt was one of them. He got better as the game went on. Julius Jones was another. When we gave JJ the load, he usually responded with big games.

To me, Mendenhall is that back as well. Felix Jones is a perfect compliment to Barber, and will capitalize on his limited touches. He is a gamebreaker and has the speed to take it to the house whenever he touches the ball.

This is why JJ said he leaned towards Jones is that he is a better fit for this team, as they felt Mendenhall is too similar to MBIII. He is a similar runner, and woud need more carries to be as effective. Felix Jones can come in right away as a change of pace back and has the ability to go the distance. That and he can do more with less carries.

I originally wasnt a fan of drafting a back in the first round, let alone Felix Jones at 22. But the more I think of it, I am VERY pleased with how the first round turned out. The only result that would have been better for me would have been a trade up for DRC and our 28 for Roy Willams.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
plus Mendenhall is really only a 2-down back, we have a starter already, and Jones will contribute as a kick returner which 'shard will not, and he's a better receiver

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
I found myself asking this same question when I found out that we didn't take Mendenhall when he slid to us.

I suppose only time will tell if Mendenhall will do us the same way Randy Moss did us.

Derinyar

Reaction score
KDWilliams85;2056440 said:
I found myself asking this same question when I found out that we didn't take Mendenhall when he slid to us.

I suppose only time will tell if Mendenhall will do us the same way Randy Moss did us.

Mendenhall is unlikely to ever make the impact that Moss does. Hes just not that level of talent.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I'm strongly in the Mendenhall-over-Jones camp.

But you're right on this argument. If Mendenhall is a guy that needs 18+ carries to get going, he'd have been useless here.

We need a guy that can excel if he gets 4 carries one game, 6 the next, or 13 the next.

dcboy

Reaction score
I haven't seen Mendenhall in games like I have Jones, so I have to go by highlights, but I didn't think Mendenhall has many moves. He doesn't make people miss and that is necessary in the NFL. He seems more of a solid straight ahead back that will hit the hole if it is there. If you watched games or highlights of Jones, you will see that he consistently makes people miss. Badly. 5'10" 207 isn't that small either. Regardless of the 40 times, its not close to who is the faster back on the field. When the pick came around, I wasn't sure who I wanted. I thought to myself, I don't think Mendenhall is all that, but the experts have him as a mid first rounder, so I guess I should want him. I was a little relieved when we passed on Mendenhall. I think we got the right guy for our team.

MONT17

Reaction score
So I guess the Steelers will have a Bust for a draft pick.... anyone recall the last time the Steelers busted a pick in the first round?

Jerry> Steelers front office on draft day

:lmao:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
mendenhall was one of the top 3 RB's in the draft some had him number 1 number 2 mainly to go felix jones over his is a mockery and this decision will be something that we will quickly regret.

ms9221

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2056198 said:
To me Jones was the better pick. Why? Some backs require more carries to get into the flow of the game and get going. Emmitt was one of them. He got better as the game went on. Julius Jones was another. When we gave JJ the load, he usually responded with big games.

To me, Mendenhall is that back as well. Felix Jones is a perfect compliment to Barber, and will capitalize on his limited touches. He is a gamebreaker and has the speed to take it to the house whenever he touches the ball.

This is why JJ said he leaned towards Jones is that he is a better fit for this team, as they felt Mendenhall is too similar to MBIII. He is a similar runner, and woud need more carries to be as effective. Felix Jones can come in right away as a change of pace back and has the ability to go the distance. That and he can do more with less carries.

I originally wasnt a fan of drafting a back in the first round, let alone Felix Jones at 22. But the more I think of it, I am VERY pleased with how the first round turned out. The only result that would have been better for me would have been a trade up for DRC and our 28 for Roy Willams.
You and Jerry Jones are a couple *********. He not as good as Mendenhall. Don't any of you fellow Cowboys fans put him in the same class as Emmitt Smith.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
MONT17;2056670 said:
So I guess the Steelers will have a Bust for a draft pick.... anyone recall the last time the Steelers busted a pick in the first round?

I don't think anyone is saying the Steelers got a bust. But saying the Steelers got a "1600 yards a year and multiple pro bowls running back" as some have said is just as silly. The Steelers now have two quality back. Mendenhall is their Barber, Parker is their Jones.

Time will tell if the Cowboys made a horrible decision. I'm thinking those complaining are thinking too much of Mendenhall and not enough of Jones.

lspain1

Reaction score
NorthTexan95;2056708 said:
I'm thinking those complaining are thinking too much of Mendenhall and not enough of Jones.

When Mendenhall does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the earth down! :p:

Actually, I understand the frustration of the Mendenhall supporters. Who can forget when Stephen Jackson fell to us and we decided to trade down and take Julius? While this pick is not the same thing, Jerry did take a chance for the "big play" potential. Taking Jones may not have been the "safe" move and we could end up regretting it but I think Jerry believes Jones was the better back to help the Cowboys win now. We'll see.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
lspain1;2056723 said:
When Mendenhall does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the earth down! :p:

Actually, I understand the frustration of the Mendenhall supporters. Who can forget when Stephen Jackson fell to us and we decided to trade down and take Julius? While this pick is not the same thing, Jerry did take a chance for the "big play" potential. Taking Jones may not have been the "safe" move and we could end up regretting it but I think Jerry believes Jones was the better back to help the Cowboys win now. We'll see.

this is Julius part 2 be prepared =/

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
MONT17;2056670 said:

Did you forget that the steelers already have willie parker? So basically they already had their speed back, and got more of a power back with mendenhall. And we already had our power back with Barber, and got our speed back with jones. Mendenhall isn't going to be a 30-carry in Pittsburgh. He is going to be part of a 2-back system.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
MONT17;2056670 said:

mendenhall < Jones

pointless trade up three spots to get a CB that would have been eon the same level as Jenkins.

Im thinking we need to d stat comparisons

Jones v Mendenhall Cason v Jenkins

for next season.