Why no CB talk?

ghst187

Reaction score
There are some good ones in this draft and I personally think we need one. I'm sure Haden will be gone by the mid first but I think Trevard Lindley and Donovan Warren will be exceptional also. I also think that both CBs from Alabama might be value after the late second.
The reasoning is that Newman is getting old and his contract will be coming due soon I believe. He hasn't been playing great and while I'm not expecting to replace him immediately, we should be looking to finding someone. I don't think Scandrick will be good outside the slot. I know a lot of people here hink we need a S but outside of Berry or Thomas who would have a shot at playing? Also, which team beat us deep? (hint: noone) Ken Hamlin hasn't been geting the picks but he hasn't gotten us beaten either. Sensabaugh has been a dramatic improvement and I think (and hope) we resign him longterm after the season. We also have Alan Ball, who played well while Ken was out, and Mike Hamlin, who has been injured most of the year. I think Mike Hamlin may turn out to be a player. We obviously have more pressing needs like OL, ILB, and I'd argue a WR and 2-down NT but I wouldn't overlook CB if one is the best available when we choose.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I made the point earlier that were not getting beat deep b/c we lead the league in overall pressure. Making a 7 step drop very difficult.

I dont see how Haden falls but hed be a great fit.

Id hope if we take a DB he has versatility

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
i brought up a CB today during the Auburn/NW game..........McFadden

he had 2 INTs, 1 pick 6 like 103 yds, and could have had 2-3 more picks, but dropped em.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I like

Parrish Cox - Okie St
Thompson - Cal
McFadden - Auburn
Arenas - Alabama

Silverstar

Reaction score
Biggems;3189245 said:
i brought up a CB today during the Auburn/NW game..........McFadden

he had 2 INTs, 1 pick 6 like 103 yds, and could have had 2-3 more picks, but dropped em.

He also missed a sure tackle that went for a score.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I'm all for trading up to get Joe Haden if the price isn't too much.

And that would mean no more watching the pathetic Newman.

ghst187

Reaction score
Biggems;3189249 said:
I like

Parrish Cox - Okie St
Thompson - Cal
McFadden - Auburn
Arenas - Alabama

hey i'm a huge OK St fan but I don't think Cox is a fit here. He is projected to get drafted by a team that plays more zone. We play man almost exlusively. I don't know a whole lot about McFadden or Thompson. I like Arenas because he'd be a star at PR while working at #4 CB. Don't get me wrong, I'm not down on Newman, its just that I think his play is slipping a bit and he's getting older. He's definitely a quality starter but second to Jenkins and I'm not sure how many more good years Newman has, not to mention his contract situation.
CB is not a position you want to be thin on, esp in our division with the style of defense we play, which is why I think many on this board are underestimating our need for another.

neosapien23

Reaction score
I really don't think Dallas is in need of another CB right now. Newman is a descent 2 CB although he is being paid to be an elite shutdown CB. I really think that Scandrick and Ball could take over the 2 and 3 spot without much dropoff. Dallas needs anther OT and OG in this draft and I think probably a FS as well. Now if there is a good prospect in the 4th, I say pull the trigger.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3189241 said:
I made the point earlier that were not getting beat deep b/c we lead the league in overall pressure. Making a 7 step drop very difficult.

I dont see how Haden falls but hed be a great fit.

Id hope if we take a DB he has versatility

If Haden somehow falls to where we are picking than the card better get turned in quick with his name on it.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
CATCH17;3190101 said:
If Haden somehow falls to where we are picking than the card better get turned in quick with his name on it.

I know right? Perfect b/c he can play CB or FS.

Another guy to look is the guy ChrisinSoCal mentioned. Akwake-Mawase Shakur or w/e in the mid-rounds. 6'1" or 6'2" w/ decent speed. He wouldnt be asked to play much right away so the transition from IUP wouldnt be so hard.

Pattick Robinson gets a 2nd-3rd round grade from me

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I honestly believe this will be the direction we go unless a speedy flashy WR drops. Dont think for a moment Jerry does not see the excitement and hype the young duo in Philadelphia is causing and if he can get one he is going to find another player to try and stop one.

stokee

Reaction score
I think we need to get the Ol square away first. Then ILB and the third round a WR.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Silverstar;3189427 said:
He also missed a sure tackle that went for a score.

players miss tackles. especially in today's game. CBs are notoriously poor tacklers.

McFadden will most likely be a UDFA....of so signing him is definitely worth the risk...since the cost will be quite minimal....

I have also warmed up to Priest and Stoudamire. Both of those are projected from the 5-7 rounds....possibly even UDFA.

Devin Ross is late round corner who could be a steal for some NFL team.