Why Ron Leary is unlikely to return to Dallas Cowboys next season

RS12

Reaction score
FRISCO -- In all likelihood, left guard Ron Leary won't be back next season with the Dallas Cowboys.

That's not because the Cowboys don't want him back. It's because he's in line for a big pay day as an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career.

Leary said Monday, a day after the Cowboys' season ended with a 34-31 divisional playoff loss to Green Bay, that he's excited about the opportunity in free agency but also has formed many strong bonds with teammates, coaches and staff in his five years in Dallas.

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...ract-free-agency-able-remind-people-play-ball

UncleOscar

Reaction score
Will we get a comp pick he if signs a big contract with another team?

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Theres no way to sign Leary when the priority is Martin. Its a shame, but at least we got Collins

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FRISCO -- In all likelihood, left guard Ron Leary won't be back next season with the Dallas Cowboys.

That's not because the Cowboys don't want him back. It's because he's in line for a big pay day as an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career.

Leary said Monday, a day after the Cowboys' season ended with a 34-31 divisional playoff loss to Green Bay, that he's excited about the opportunity in free agency but also has formed many strong bonds with teammates, coaches and staff in his five years in Dallas.

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...ract-free-agency-able-remind-people-play-ball
I say he gets about 6M per. It could go up to 8M but I think teams will remember the MRI of his knee prior to the draft.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will we get a comp pick he if signs a big contract with another team?
He will definitely get a big enough contract to result in a comp pick; however, if the Cowboys sign some free agents, then that will offset getting comp picks. If Leary is the only lost FA that would quality for a comp pick, then if the Cowboy signed a free agent with a similar or higher salary, then there would be not comp pick.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I say he gets about 6M per. It could go up to 8M but I think teams will remember the MRI of his knee prior to the draft.

Yeah, Cowboys aren't going to pay that amount for him to ride the bench. Collins is clearly penciled in at guard spot.

beacamdim

Reaction score
I don't see the problem. According to @bkight13 they are going to create at least $50MM in additional cap space this offseason. Some of that should go to Leary.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see the problem. According to @bkight13 they are going to create at least $50MM in additional cap space this offseason. Some of that should go to Leary.

The problem is Collins will be the starting guard and you don't pay a guy $6 mil a season to sit on the bench.

In addition Leary wants to start and I can't blame him for that.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
I feel awful for saying this, and sort of don't hope it happens to him, but his issue is still that degenerative knee condition. If he finds that the offers out there aren't what he expected due to this, hopefully we can get him at a manageable number. That would make Collins have to switch to RT, but I'd prefer he give it a go than keep an aging Free there, or an injury prone Green.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score

I don't think he said they will create 50 mil in cap space. I think he said they could. Possibly just showing how the cap can be manipulated.

We will have whatever space we need and we don't have to mortgage the future to do it. I would recommend signing one significant FA

I think Eric Berry would be a low risk add that would significantly help the defense. I don't really care for the DE's or edge rushers available so I would be looking to add them via the draft. There are a few CB's I would consider like Trumaine Johnson, Dre Kirkpatrick or DRC.

noletime95

Reaction score
The only way Dallas pays Leary is if the coaches believe Collins can slide to RT. Everything we've all read suggests the organization thinks Collin future is at OG. If that holds true Leary is gonzo. Hopefully Collins stays healthy and performs at a high level. He's certainly capable.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It should....... we could use the savings from cutting Free of 5m to offset

Collins can try RT or we could trade Collins for a true RT or high draft pick...if Collins can only play LG how valuable is he....we also have Green and Cleary for RT

Leary-Green is better than Collins-Free imo but Leary-Collins may be best of them all

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't think he said they will create 50 mil in cap space. I think he said they could. Possibly just showing how the cap can be manipulated.

We will have whatever space we need and we don't have to mortgage the future to do it. I would recommend signing one significant FA

I think Eric Berry would be a low risk add that would significantly help the defense. I don't really care for the DE's or edge rushers available so I would be looking to add them via the draft. There are a few CB's I would consider like Trumaine Johnson, Dre Kirkpatrick or DRC.

Choosing whether to activate the 50m in space is the same as the choice of spending it or not....just do it......anything not spent can be carried over.......but it is harder to create space later once the season starts and you might need.....imagine if we added Cam Wake at the deadline

it does us no good to horde cap space or to spend it on bloated contracts this year instead of 3-4 years down the road.......paying Dez 17m in cap space this year is worse than 5m, 5m, 7m in 2017-19...... no one is saying spend stupidly but don't be afraid to spend some big money wisely