Why the current iteration of NFL analytics can lead coaches astray

pansophy

Reaction score
The Lions / SF game highlighted all the reasons why I don't like how NFL analytics are currently being applied. This is a really nice article describing these problems for anyone interested.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The Lions / SF game highlighted all the reasons why I don't like how NFL analytics are currently being applied. This is a really nice article describing these problems for anyone interested.

the analytics are not the problem..its just data, the implement of the use of them is where Dan went wrong...when your up big you add points and play field position to shorten the time for the other team to come back...im sure there are analytics to show this also..

Mikexike

Reaction score
Analytics are useful but not the end-all, be-all. It's also an easy scapegoat for poor decisions "I was just following the analytics"
Sooner than later, These NFL coaches will be AI robots using all that data....

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I hate all this analytics crap.
NFL propaganda to push other web sites and to get other fans involved. It is ruining things and fans, just like fantasy football.
Hated it when we hired MM and he was talking about it all, i'm like shut up and just play football

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The real flaw and issue with modern "analytics" is that they treat the game like Madden rather than real life.

They also suffer from "assuming the perfect outcome" fallacy which is seen in how many coaches kill their own's teams chances of winning by trying to pass instead of run late in a game when the other team has no timeouts, effectively calling timeouts for your opponent.

"But, I can win the game right here by completing this pass!"

If you can assume you will complete the pass then I can assume that my RB will break a long run to seal the game. If we are both wrong then my choice is still MUCH better since the clock keeps ticking.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The real flaw and issue with modern "analytics" is that they treat the game like Madden rather than real life.

They also suffer from "assuming the perfect outcome" fallacy which is seen in how many coaches kill their own's teams chances of winning by trying to pass instead of run late in a game when the other team has no timeouts, effectively calling timeouts for your opponent.

"But, I can win the game right here by completing this pass!"

If you can assume you will complete the pass then I can assume that my RB will break a long run to seal the game.
this its the implication of said Data..the Data itself is no diferent than making a gameplan based off the other teams game film..its just showing you tendencies..no more.

conner01

Reaction score
I hate all this analytics crap.
NFL propaganda to push other web sites and to get other fans involved. It is ruining things and fans, just like fantasy football.
I get some aggressive aspects but you have to factor in the situation and the opponent. Just saying you should always go for it no matter what is just silly

Adreme

Reaction score

The Lions overachieved and then got beat by a far more talented team. Now a bunch of old school people want to try and say how their old ways are better despite Detroit’s aggressive nature likely being key to how they overachieved in the first place.