Why the delay in naming a Def. coordinator?

newlander

Reaction score
Is Wade waiting on Stewart or what? Also, I believe we still haven't hired a special teams coach which is pretty important too......Is he also waiting on someone currently on the s.diego staff for that job too? I'm not in this forum a ton, so any info. would be appreciated.:D

BumPhillips

Reaction score
newlander;1381916 said:
Is Wade waiting on Stewart or what? Also, I believe we still haven't hired a special teams coach which is pretty important too......Is he also waiting on someone currently on the s.diego staff for that job too? I'm not in this forum a ton, so any info. would be appreciated.:D

Wade's 1st choice is to bring a coach from the chargers staff.

But those guys won't become available (if they do at all) until they hire a new coach, and the coach decides whether or not to retain them.

Bowles appears to be the backup plan, and he's not going anywhere, so the cowboys aren't rushing the decision.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BumPhillips;1381917 said:
Wade's 1st choice is to bring a coach from the chargers staff.

But those guys won't become available (if they do at all) until they hire a new coach, and the coach decides whether or not to retain them.

Bowles appears to be the backup plan, and he's not going anywhere, so the cowboys aren't rushing the decision.
:welcome: Bum!!!!!!!!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
it doesnt really matter, Wade is probably going to run and call all the defenses anyway

David

sago1

Reaction score
I thought I rid someplace that as soon as the Chargers named a HC, Stewart intended to ask for his release so he could join the Cowboys as DC. So it entirely possible Phillips is willing to wait just a little while to see what develops. At this point Chargers are in the process of interviewing a bunch of coaches, most of whom Cowboys already interviewed (except for Rex Ryan who Chargers interviewed). I would expect the Chargers to probably name a HC before FA begins on March 2.

Don't know why we haven't sign a ST coach unless your right that Phillips waiting for Charger developments for this position also. Don't know anything about how their STs performed last season so essentially who knows. I do know Phillips has brought several new coaches to this team, some of whom he's never worked with before so who knows who he's waiting on. I for one don't want Avezzano back. His ST performances last few years he was here weren't doing much either and besides he's no spring chicken and for that position I'd sure like a young guy with lot of spirit and drive.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dbair1967;1382017 said:
it doesnt really matter, Wade is probably going to run and call all the defenses anyway

David
Agreed, but I don't know what's the hangup on announcing the roles of Sparano and Garrett. Also, if it doesn't really matter who is the DC, then go ahead and name Bowles. I thought for sure we'd have heard by Friday.