News: Why the loss of Anthony Hitchens doesn’t hurt the Cowboys as much as you think

CCBoy

Reaction score
Why the loss of Anthony Hitchens doesn’t hurt the Cowboys as much as you think

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...he-cowboys-as-bad-as-you-think-dallas-cowboys

...There isn’t one person out there that isn’t disheartened by the thought of losing Anthony Hitchens for an extended period of time. The Cowboys fourth-year linebacker was having a stellar training camp and he was going to be an important piece to the defense this season. Just in the Oakland Raiders game alone, he was blowing up play after play. He had a tackle for a loss, knocked down a pass, and just smothered the ball carrier relentlessly. Make no mistake about it, losing Hitchens hurts...

...But it’s going to be a challenge at times until the team can get to where they need to be defensively. There are some new rookies on the defense, but they won’t be shaking things up immediately. It’s going to take time.

The Cowboys defense is something that is going to stress us out at times, but the loss of Hitchens shouldn’t. The team still has Jaylon Smith, Damien Wilson, and Justin Durant on the roster to help fill in. Will they be as good as the often-underrated-but-suddenly-appreciated Hitchens? No. But they won’t be too far off. The Cowboys also play nickel and dime quite a bit so the need for three linebackers on the field at once isn’t high...

ShiningStar

Reaction score
the loss will hurt because you can count on hitchens to play each position. so far hes been average but you can count on him. he strives and knows what to do, he just doesnt play flat. hes not going to put fear into anyone but he does make a play or two.

CCBoy

Reaction score
the loss will hurt because you can count on hitchens to play each position. so far hes been average but you can count on him. he strives and knows what to do, he just doesnt play flat. hes not going to put fear into anyone but he does make a play or two.

Great contributor for the linebackers. This group, injuries considered, is pretty deep and talented.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Great contributor for the linebackers. This group, injuries considered, is pretty deep and talented.

wont argue that. i think the writers should appreciate what we have and write to that, not to what they think. Will Hitchens sink us? No, is he good across the boards, yes and lots of teams would love to have that.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
His injury is 8 weeks, which puts him out through 5-6 games. I think Durant and Jaylon can hold the fort down until he returns. Bring back a guy like Gachkar that knows the system and can contribute on special teams and can step in if there's an emergency and I'm fine with rolling with who we have.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His injury is 8 weeks, which puts him out through 5-6 games. I think Durant and Jaylon can hold the fort down until he returns. Bring back a guy like Gachkar that knows the system and can contribute on special teams and can step in if there's an emergency and I'm fine with rolling with who we have.

Gachkar signed somewhere about 2 weeks ago. Can't remember where though.
There will be some players similar though on the waiver wire. I agree though, I think they go with who they have to start the season.

erod

Reaction score
It's not that big of a deal, unless Damien Wilson gets suspended.

Jaylon Smith isn't ready to play significant snaps, and Justin Durant is Redd Foxx.

They need to find somebody on waivers in the worst way.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Hitchens was doing much better in that game at will, but when he was at mike earlier he wasn't playing well at all.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not that big of a deal, unless Damien Wilson gets suspended.

Jaylon Smith isn't ready to play significant snaps, and Justin Durant is Redd Foxx.

They need to find somebody on waivers in the worst way.

If Durant is Redd Foxx then he is a sly old fox that will help us in this pinch. Give me him over some released player that does not know the system or does not have a rapport with the players at this point.

erod

Reaction score
If Durant is Redd Foxx then he is a sly old fox that will help us in this pinch. Give me him over some released player that does not know the system or does not have a rapport with the players at this point.
Can he still get through a game?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can he still get through a game?

We shall see.
I bet he can, as else he would not be here. Well, never mind that, LOL. We know how that goes at times. Most likely they will be a rotation anyway so no need to play the entire game. Only Lee would probably do that anyway, others rotate, as many times there are only 2 LB's on the field.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In other words, Hitchens is nothing special?

He's a full time starter who was third on the defense in tackles last year. Losing guys like that hurts.

We've got depth to replace him to start the season, but LB is an oft-injured position group. One of our replacements has a history of injury, the other is a high potential question mark. We're going to need depth at MIKE at some point this year. So we're lucky we'll be getting back a guy like Hitch after six games or so. Good teams need guy's like him to contribute over the course of a season. You won't get by playing Nzeotcha significant snaps.