Why was Parrish let go from SF, really?

Iago33

Reaction score
Why would you release Parrish at this time in the season? Why was he demoted? I remember something about an injury, but if he's hurt, why are people expecting him to contribute to us so soon? I'm really confused about why people on this site are considering him an immediate starter when he was cut by San Fran.

Can someone run down his strengths and weaknesses and why he was cut?

This may have already been discussed. I couldn't find anything specific in earlier threads. If it's a repost, feel free to delete.

Wood

Reaction score
its something alot of people want to know. Sometimes the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. During Parcells PC he says Parrish looks fine but San Fran made it sound like the guy couldn't cover a blocking TE. We shall see.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
Holy crap. I read the title of this post and thought we let the guy loose this AM or something!

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
I think it's quite possible that San Francisco's worst free safety is better than our best free safety.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Iago33;1232567 said:
Why would you release Parrish at this time in the season? Why was he demoted? I remember something about an injury, but if he's hurt, why are people expecting him to contribute to us so soon? I'm really confused about why people on this site are considering him an immediate starter when he was cut by San Fran.

Can someone run down his strengths and weaknesses and why he was cut?

This may have already been discussed. I couldn't find anything specific in earlier threads. If it's a repost, feel free to delete.

He started out injured. Tried to play when back from injury and was mediocre. He wasn't going to be around mext season anyways so they cut bait because they needed the roster sport for a linebacker due to other injuries.

He is a Scott Fujita type. He is not a world beater but has been a solid vet for years. No upside so he was released instead of someone that has some. Think of him as Al Singleton.

conner01

Reaction score
they are a young team, they had a young option.he is not injured now. probably has lost a step but i don't see how he could be any worse than what we have been getting

juck

Reaction score
conner01;1232581 said:
they are a young team, they had a young option.he is not injured now. probably has lost a step but i don't see how he could be any worse than what we have been getting
well Davis has lost 9-10 steps,so.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Perhaps he was let go because of the BP influence in coaching circles. He asked around to see if there were any teams willing to part with a veteran FS that they didn't need and who still had skills and could help him. One of those you help me now, I'll help you in the future type of things.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
On Tuesday, the San Francisco 49ers signed seven-year NFL veteran LB Jay Foreman, an addition necessitated due to the hamstring injury LB Derek Smith suffered in the Saints game. To make room on the roster for Foreman, the 49ers waived veteran S Tony Parrish

“Tony is a model professional, and he influenced a lot of younger players with his work ethic,” said head coach Mike Nolan. “This was a tough decision to make at this time, but with the injuries we had at linebacker, we needed to bring in a player at that position. To make room on the roster, we had to make this move. I know Tony will work with the same passion and dedication in his next endeavor with the same resolve as he did with the 49ers.”

Parrish held a starting streak of 121 consecutive games over eight seasons before fracturing his fibula in the first quarter at Chicago last season.

Parrish resumed his role at starting safety at the start of the season, but split time at the position with newcomer Mark Roman. Roman earned the starting nod in week six against San Diego, and has gradually taken over the majority of snaps with Parrish being inactive the last three weeks.

After a four-year career with the Chicago Bears, Parrish joined the 49ers as an unrestricted free agent in 2002. He won All-Pro honors in 2003 with an NFL-leading and career-high nine interceptions.

Foreman (6-1, 240) has played for the Buffalo Bills (1999-01), Houston Texans (2002-04) and the New York Giants (2005). He has started 62 of 82 games played and accumulated 356 total tackles. Foreman started in 42 consecutive games for Houston at inside linebacker and had back-to-back 100 tackles seasons in 2002 and 2003.

Foreman was originally drafted by Buffalo in the fifth round of the 1999 draft out of Nebraska. He was traded by Buffalo to Houston for KR/PR Charlie Rogers on April 17, 2002. He was waived by Houston in March of 2005 and then was signed by Oakland. Foreman was waived by the Raiders prior to the start of the regular season. He was signed by the Giants in late December and saw action in one regular season contest and the Giants playoff game against Carolina.

http://49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=2624&section=PR News

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
juckie;1232589 said:
well Davis has lost 9-10 steps,so.

it's from all those people shooting at his feet going "dance, cowboy..."

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1232607 said:
On Tuesday, the San Francisco 49ers signed seven-year NFL veteran LB Jay Foreman, an addition necessitated due to the hamstring injury LB Derek Smith suffered in the Saints game. To make room on the roster for Foreman, the 49ers waived veteran S Tony Parrish

“Tony is a model professional, and he influenced a lot of younger players with his work ethic,” said head coach Mike Nolan. “This was a tough decision to make at this time, but with the injuries we had at linebacker, we needed to bring in a player at that position. To make room on the roster, we had to make this move. I know Tony will work with the same passion and dedication in his next endeavor with the same resolve as he did with the 49ers.”

Parrish held a starting streak of 121 consecutive games over eight seasons before fracturing his fibula in the first quarter at Chicago last season.

Parrish resumed his role at starting safety at the start of the season, but split time at the position with newcomer Mark Roman. Roman earned the starting nod in week six against San Diego, and has gradually taken over the majority of snaps with Parrish being inactive the last three weeks.

After a four-year career with the Chicago Bears, Parrish joined the 49ers as an unrestricted free agent in 2002. He won All-Pro honors in 2003 with an NFL-leading and career-high nine interceptions.

Foreman (6-1, 240) has played for the Buffalo Bills (1999-01), Houston Texans (2002-04) and the New York Giants (2005). He has started 62 of 82 games played and accumulated 356 total tackles. Foreman started in 42 consecutive games for Houston at inside linebacker and had back-to-back 100 tackles seasons in 2002 and 2003.

Foreman was originally drafted by Buffalo in the fifth round of the 1999 draft out of Nebraska. He was traded by Buffalo to Houston for KR/PR Charlie Rogers on April 17, 2002. He was waived by Houston in March of 2005 and then was signed by Oakland. Foreman was waived by the Raiders prior to the start of the regular season. He was signed by the Giants in late December and saw action in one regular season contest and the Giants playoff game against Carolina.

http://49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=2624&section=PR News

The 49ers believed that they needed Foreman more than Parrish, obviously.

Reaction score
lurkercowboy;1232649 said:

yeah, i thought it was bad numbers at linebacker. parrish was just the odd man out...

i haven't heard anything else...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
lurkercowboy;1232649 said:

They had no one behind Derek Smith to take over the MLB spot so they did what they had to do.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I agree....if a player is still talented and a great person then you keep that player.....something is not adding up.....but, I sure hope he performs great for us.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1232726 said:
I agree....if a player is still talented and a great person then you keep that player.....something is not adding up.....but, I sure hope he performs great for us.

Basically, it's like this:

Parrish has character and a lot of on the field saavy. He's lost a step or two and while he has a nose for the ball, he was never a top notch cover guy... so losing a step will hurt. His ball-hawking skills and instincts for the position will make up for some of the lost athleticism, but not all.

Everything being equal, I'm sure that San Fran would've kept him on the roster. However, with this season basically done with for them and them being a team that is working on building with youth for the future, keeping the younger developmental guys over an older, character guy on the downside of his career is a no-brainer. He might add to the locker room and he might make a few more plays on experience and saavy, but the developmental guys might turn in to a real player in a year or two and by that point, Parrish would be gone. It makes perfect sense for the niners. Throw in the fact that he makes a lot of money and the young guys don't and frankly, the niners would have to be stupid to keep him in their current situation.

For Dallas, on the other hand, they're making a push now and Parrish's locker room presence and on the field experience might very well be the difference in a game this season. In a playoff game this season. One veteran decision by Parrish could be the difference between Dallas going home or Dallas going on in the playoffs. Throw in the fact that our FS play has been somewhat less than stellar, and it is easily a good move for Dallas.

It was also a good move for San Fran.

I understand why the niners would want to cut Parrish and keep the young guys. I also understand why Dallas would want to add him to their roster to see if he can make a difference in their playoff push.

Works for Dallas, San Fran and Parrish.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CrazyCowboy;1232726 said:

Not necessarily. If the player's contract was going to make it necessary to part with him in the offseason, anyway, and he's not a starter and you have viable options at his position and none at LB, it makes more sense to let him go 4-5 games early than it does to keep him and let someone else go who might be part of your season next year.

wileedog

Reaction score
AsthmaField;1232746 said:
It was also a good move for San Fran.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was just $$$$.

The Niners could easily have called Bill, knowing our safety situation, and asked if we would pick him up on waivers if they cut him. They are saving $250,000 for the balance of the season transferring the contract to Dallas.

Considering he wasn't playing, that ain't chicken feed.

alancdc

Reaction score
austintodallas;1232576 said:
I think it's quite possible that San Francisco's worst free safety is better than our best free safety.

That would be quite sad, wouldn't it.