Why We Lost... Quite Simple Really

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We can point to the players who choked under the lights of this game...some did indeed play subpar games for them, Crayton being mentioned most often.

We can point the finger at the Coach...he's never won a playoff game (though this was the first of only a few total games in which he wasn't the underdog anyway).

It could be this...it could be that...there was this play...there was that play. Any could have made the difference.

The real difference, I believe, is that we took a passing game into the playoffs with only one difference maker who was healthy as a target for Romo, and that was our TE of all people.

1. T.O. was valiant...he gave it all he had just to get into the game, and he gave his full effort, but he was not 100% T.O.

2. Terry Glenn was clearly not Terry Glenn...we were sold a bill of goods, probably trying to mislead the Giants. Glenn was a non-factor.

3. Crayton is a decent 3rd receiver, not a great one...he has no speed or quickness, at least none he's ever shown returning, or should I say catching, punts or turning short receptions into long gains.

4. Hurd and Austin....well...they are what they are, and you're not going to win many games, let alone playoff games, with them.

5. That left Witten and Fazano...sorry Cowboys fans, that's not much of an attack.

6. It seems pretty obvious in hindsight that we knew we were playing with blanks in Romo's gun on Sunday...that certainly explains why we sold the nation on T.O. being healthy and Glenn looking quicker than anyone else on the field in practice and then handing the ball to Barber over and over and over all during the first half, giving him his his usual full game allotment of carries in only the first half.

Clearly, we were trying to take over a game and then hold on. The Giant TD right before the half hurt that plan, and the Giants defense stacking the line to stop the run in the second half and blitzing Romo proved that it only took them that one long drive to figure out that our wideouts weren't going to hurt even their backups.

So they stopped the run, started smelling blood, and stunted and blitzed as many teams have tried to do earlier in the year, only this time we had only a healthy TE, a partial T.O. whom they could easily double, and a slow and choking Patrick Crayton on whom to depend on beating the blitz coverage.

With no one healthy and good enough to run the slants or to make one explosive move and get to a spot in time to make the Giants pay...they had no reason to slow down the onslaught.

Did the Cowboys still have a chance to win? Yes, if Romo hits TO...if the defense holds at the end of the half...if Crayton runs out his route...is some of the penalties aren't noticed or committed...we still had a chance, and we could have won.

But despite poor tackling by star players that resulted in 1 Giant TD, a dropped pass and poor special teams that set up a short drive for another TD, and mistakes all game long on special teams and poor tackling, the defense still only surrendered 21 points. Say what you will about Reeves & Roy, a lack of pass rush, dumb penalties, etc., the Giants scoring only 21 points and the defense holding when it needed to twice inside the 10, that's a game the offense should win.

WE had the ball twice around midfield on our final possessions, but all game long, Romo didn't have the weapons. I'm not making excuses because we still should have won the game, but guys like Crayton are not difference makers, and guys like Hurd and Austin shouldn't even be on the field in the playoffs, and T.O. was only 75% at best, while Glenn was no more than a brief decoy.

We showed a good running game in the first half, but let's not kid ourselves...we were not a running team this year. We were a passing team that put up lots of points, striking fear into secondaries, and hitting on huge plays when they tried to blitz our QB. In this game, like the final month of the season, Romo's targets were tiny dots on the horizon, and he ended up firing blanks...that's not a good situation for a passing offense.

All teams have injuries, but most of ours came right at the end of the season, rendering guys like Gurode, Ratliff, TO, and Romo either rusty or ineffective.

Yes, we still could've/should've won, but I can only imagine the frustration Romo must have felt every time he dropped back to pass...who could get deep? who could beat man coverage? who could consistantly get open on 3rd down? Whom could he depend on?

Apparently no one...except Witten.

burmafrd

Reaction score
In the second half, The giants played tight and up to the line and our O line and Barber wore down. So everything collapsed.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
do you really think all of the WRs that Green Bay lines up have Donald Drivers talent...no...but they got better as the season progressed because they forced them to play...kind of like we did with Jacques Reeves, even though he did not get better. We had NO BUSINESS trying to get a full game out of TO AND Terry. Why did we kick Hurd and Austin to the curb for a couple of guys who had not played in weeks (in the case of Owens) or months (in the case of GLenn). They should have been worked into the mix and used as decoys at other times. Hurd has made plays. Austin has made plays. Why did we ignore them yesterday? Why did we ignore JuJo yesterday. I had no problem with Barber starting...but you cannot ask him to take all the carries and do blitz pick up all game long. JuJo should at least gotten a chance to catch the ball out of the backfield and do some pass protection...Barber wore out. We were out coached yesterday on SIMPLE stuff!

Shadowfax

Reaction score
wayne motley;1906558 said:
We can point to the players who choked under the lights of this game...some did indeed play subpar games for them, Crayton being mentioned most often.

We can point the finger at the Coach...he's never won a playoff game (though this was the first of only a few total games in which he wasn't the underdog anyway).

It could be this...it could be that...there was this play...there was that play. Any could have made the difference.

The real difference, I believe, is that we took a passing game into the playoffs with only one difference maker who was healthy as a target for Romo, and that was our TE of all people.

1. T.O. was valiant...he gave it all he had just to get into the game, and he gave his full effort, but he was not 100% T.O.

2. Terry Glenn was clearly not Terry Glenn...we were sold a bill of goods, probably trying to mislead the Giants. Glenn was a non-factor.

3. Crayton is a decent 3rd receiver, not a great one...he has no speed or quickness, at least none he's ever shown returning, or should I say catching, punts or turning short receptions into long gains.

4. Hurd and Austin....well...they are what they are, and you're not going to win many games, let alone playoff games, with them.

5. That left Witten and Fazano...sorry Cowboys fans, that's not much of an attack.

6. It seems pretty obvious in hindsight that we knew we were playing with blanks in Romo's gun on Sunday...that certainly explains why we sold the nation on T.O. being healthy and Glenn looking quicker than anyone else on the field in practice and then handing the ball to Barber over and over and over all during the first half, giving him his his usual full game allotment of carries in only the first half.

Clearly, we were trying to take over a game and then hold on. The Giant TD right before the half hurt that plan, and the Giants defense stacking the line to stop the run in the second half and blitzing Romo proved that it only took them that one long drive to figure out that our wideouts weren't going to hurt even their backups.

So they stopped the run, started smelling blood, and stunted and blitzed as many teams have tried to do earlier in the year, only this time we had only a healthy TE, a partial T.O. whom they could easily double, and a slow and choking Patrick Crayton on whom to depend on beating the blitz coverage.

With no one healthy and good enough to run the slants or to make one explosive move and get to a spot in time to make the Giants pay...they had no reason to slow down the onslaught.

Did the Cowboys still have a chance to win? Yes, if Romo hits TO...if the defense holds at the end of the half...if Crayton runs out his route...is some of the penalties aren't noticed or committed...we still had a chance, and we could have won.

But despite poor tackling by star players that resulted in 1 Giant TD, a dropped pass and poor special teams that set up a short drive for another TD, and mistakes all game long on special teams and poor tackling, the defense still only surrendered 21 points. Say what you will about Reeves & Roy, a lack of pass rush, dumb penalties, etc., the Giants scoring only 21 points and the defense holding when it needed to twice inside the 10, that's a game the offense should win.

WE had the ball twice around midfield on our final possessions, but all game long, Romo didn't have the weapons. I'm not making excuses because we still should have won the game, but guys like Crayton are not difference makers, and guys like Hurd and Austin shouldn't even be on the field in the playoffs, and T.O. was only 75% at best, while Glenn was no more than a brief decoy.

We showed a good running game in the first half, but let's not kid ourselves...we were not a running team this year. We were a passing team that put up lots of points, striking fear into secondaries, and hitting on huge plays when they tried to blitz our QB. In this game, like the final month of the season, Romo's targets were tiny dots on the horizon, and he ended up firing blanks...that's not a good situation for a passing offense.

All teams have injuries, but most of ours came right at the end of the season, rendering guys like Gurode, Ratliff, TO, and Romo either rusty or ineffective.

Yes, we still could've/should've won, but I can only imagine the frustration Romo must have felt every time he dropped back to pass...who could get deep? who could beat man coverage? who could consistantly get open on 3rd down? Whom could he depend on?

:hammer:

This is the most astute observation I have read in all of the fire so and so, cut so and so, post game tirades. I couldn't agree more. Great Post!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
burmafrd;1906567 said:
In the second half, The giants played tight and up to the line and our O line and Barber wore down. So everything collapsed.

Exactly...they knew we were bluffing in the passing game and that we couldn't hurt them with any of our receivers. From what we've all seen of Jason Garrett's playcalling this year, even with Barber running wild in the first half, he would have used that to go playaction and pass much more often in the first half if he'd had any confidence in it.

Looking back now, we had a good drive to open the 2nd half but had to settle for a FG. I wish we'd come out in our next drive and tried the flea-flicker...they were stacking the line to stop the run and may have bought into the idea that we were still going to force the run...maybe we could have gotten an easy score....lots of maybes, but we just didn't have any decent weapons on offense.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
bbailey423;1906587 said:
do you really think all of the WRs that Green Bay lines up have Donald Drivers talent...no...but they got better as the season progressed because they forced them to play...kind of like we did with Jacques Reeves, even though he did not get better. We had NO BUSINESS trying to get a full game out of TO AND Terry. Why did we kick Hurd and Austin to the curb for a couple of guys who had not played in weeks (in the case of Owens) or months (in the case of GLenn). They should have been worked into the mix and used as decoys at other times. Hurd has made plays. Austin has made plays. Why did we ignore them yesterday? Why did we ignore JuJo yesterday. I had no problem with Barber starting...but you cannot ask him to take all the carries and do blitz pick up all game long. JuJo should at least gotten a chance to catch the ball out of the backfield and do some pass protection...Barber wore out. We were out coached yesterday on SIMPLE stuff!

Having watched Hurd, yes, I think all 4 of GB's receivers are better than he is and have more talent. Hurd has been playing in the 3 receiver sets all season...all season...and he had only 19 receptions all year...6 of those coming in the final two games as a starter. I'll be surprised if he makes the cut next season. Clearly, when given his chance, he couldn't get open. And even if you think their lack of production was because we didn't play them enough during the season, it still stands that Romo had no receivers who could make plays.

Hurd had 1 TD early in the season...what plays has he made?

I'm really interested in what plays Austim has made beside drawing a couple of interference calls....he had a total of 5 receptions all year....heck, he probably had more drops than that?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Mr. Wayne:
I think you just said, in so many words about Glenn being a nonfactor and Crayton being so-so WR, that we need in the draft;
1. WR
2. WR

I would add:

3. CB (that is mine)
4. HC (mine again)

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
but guys like Crayton are not difference makers, and guys like Hurd and Austin shouldn't even be on the field in the playoffs, and T.O. was only 75% at best, while Glenn was no more than a brief decoy.

IF Romo hits TO on that cross... that would equal 2 TD's for Owens. So I think Owens was effective. We didnt execute.

Glenn I didnt really watch... so I will take your word on him.

Now Crayton.... I disagree. The chance to be a playmaker was there at the end and he brainfarted. He had his man beat. IF he makes that catch then what you posted above would have to be left out.

That pass had "GAME WINNING, GAME CRUSHING, BEAT THAT TEAM 3x IN ONE SEASON" written all over it.

ETex

Reaction score
Just watched the 2nd half on the tivo and the whole line was out of sync. Gurode had a bad bad game. His late snaps threw the whole line off. This was a TEAM loss. Lots of blame to go around.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Good post, wayne. All year long, we had T.O. and Witten as our only weapons. Not having Glenn didn't show up until Owens got hurt.

It's very possible that if T.O. doesn't get the high ankle sprain, we win. In fact, that one injury explains a lot of the average-looking Carolina game and the loss on Sunday.

canters

Reaction score

Wow, great post! Best I have seen since Sunday. Concisely sums up what I thought but could not express.

We need 2 quality DBs and a WOW player on offense. These 3 players will make us a better team.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Your evaluation was dead on Wayne.

The most glaring and obvious reason though really, and most fans acknowledged this in pre-season, was the age/depth at WR.
Despite having one of the leagues best WR's in TO, what else does this team really have at WR?

TO- a great WR, even at 34, and probably has atleast a couple highly productive seasons left, cant do it alone.

Terry Glenn- 33, and the injuries are starting to reflect his age.

Crayton- possibly a knee jerk mistake in his recent resigning. Signifigant cap dollars being allocated to a guy that cant even finsish a route in one of the biggest games all season.

Hurd- UDFA

Austin- UDFA

Plain & Simple, but then again hindsight is always 20/20

ETex

Reaction score
That was a great post BTW ! Someone needs to forward this the Jerry. ASAP

kbman

Reaction score
ETex;1906694 said:
Just watched the 2nd half on the tivo and the whole line was out of sync. Gurode had a bad bad game. His late snaps threw the whole line off. This was a TEAM loss. Lots of blame to go around.

He hurt us big time, he wasn't mentally ready.

superpunk

Reaction score
Poor officiating. Horrific officiating. Maybe that's not why we lost, but it was one more thing on the pile that didn't help at all.

kbman

Reaction score
superpunk;1906743 said:
Poor officiating. Horrific officiating. Maybe that's not why we lost, but it was one more thing on the pile that didn't help at all.

Well the grounding call:(, to have another down......

ETex

Reaction score
superpunk;1906743 said:

True, but we did get MANY breaks; rewatch the film and count how many times Tony would yell hike! and then the Lineman would move and THEN Gurode would snap the ball.

Many killer penalties though. :(

Chuck 54

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1906673 said:
Mr. Wayne:
I think you just said, in so many words about Glenn being a nonfactor and Crayton being so-so WR, that we need in the draft;
1. WR
2. WR

I would add:

3. CB (that is mine)
4. HC (mine again)

I definitely agree with CB...we need at least two WR's and two CB's, but I think one of each on the first day of the draft and one each in FA would make me happy.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
YoMick;1906678 said:
IF Romo hits TO on that cross... that would equal 2 TD's for Owens. So I think Owens was effective. We didnt execute.

Glenn I didnt really watch... so I will take your word on him.

Now Crayton.... I disagree. The chance to be a playmaker was there at the end and he brainfarted. He had his man beat. IF he makes that catch then what you posted above would have to be left out.

That pass had "GAME WINNING, GAME CRUSHING, BEAT THAT TEAM 3x IN ONE SEASON" written all over it.

Good point...on that one play...my point is that Crayton doesn't have the quicks or the speed to be a consistent WR that the QB can go to. T.O. played well, but he still wasn't able to dominate the Giant secondary like he would if healthy...without T.O. you need at least one WR, like Glenn last year, who will consistently beat man coverage and demand a double...no one's thinking about doubling Crayton, I don't think.

SlwSVT

Reaction score
What a great original post and I agree with everything for the most part. We were a passing team first all season and could jump on any team with the quick strike ability to light up the scoreboard. I remember having several drives of 3 minutes or less passing the ball all down the field. But, for this game we decided to go back to a Bill Parcells type way of football. We became a run first team, with 3 drives from 7 to 10 minutes long. This did not help us, this helped the Giants. This gave us less possesions to strike. Now, did we become a run first team, because of the health of our wide outs? That, could be realistic. But, I would of like to see the Boys of mid season, at least in the play calling area, where we attack agressively!