Why Week 2 Could Predict The NFC East Champ

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
Ok, I admit the title is a bit misleading. Obviously week 2 games aren't going to definitively decide anything. It could, however, go a long way towards showing us how this is going to shake out. We're all aware that there are two divisional matchups forthcoming, but their importance is shown with what follows. I'd like to delve into that a little, and welcome everyone's input (including fans of the other teams).

I think the team under the most fire this week is the New York Giants. New York plays what appears, atleast through one week, to be a tough Philadelphia team....in Philly. A loss by the G-Men will put them at 0-2. Not a great start, but certainly not insurmountable...right? That could be wrong. After Philadelphia the Giants are:

@ Seattle (NFC Champs)
bye
vs. Washington
@ Falcons
@ Cowboys
vs. Tampa
vs. Houson

Going 0-2 into Seattle could very well spell going 0-3 into the bye. That would make the game vs Washington a virtual must-win for the Giants to avoid an embarassing 0-4 start with three more tough games before their first "easy" opponent in Houston. That's a recipe for implosion if one exists in the NFL. The Giants are faced with an extremely difficult opening schedule that could see them removed from the race before they even enter it, should they fall to Philadelphia. A loss to Philly makes the Washington game a "must-win" in October. Playoff bound teams don't normally face "must-wins" in October.

Completely opposite to the Giants situation, is that of the Philadelphia Eagles. Week 2 is big for them, but it's big because a win could catapult them to a very early and sizeable lead in the NFC East. It's well documented how apparently easy a schedule Philly faces, and with the confidence gained by going 2-0 Philly could very easily find itself 6-0 entering Tampa Bay. Even a loss to Dallas puts them at 5-1, which one assumes will be good for a couple game cushion to pair with the newfound confidence in Philly. In case you missed it, after hosting New York Philly goes:

@ San Francisco
vs. Green Bay
vs. Dallas
@ New Orleans

Clear the New York hurdle, and Philly is looking at 3 out of their next 4 games against the apparent dregs of the NFL. 5-1 would appear obvious, and 6-0 very possible.

This leads us to the plight of the Washington Commanders. Week 2, to them, is big because they face their most bitter rival and want to avoid the dreaded 0-2 start. That said, the schedule makers have allowed Washington a few games to make back up ground early and build that confidence even should they lose. Make no mistake, a week 2 loss will hurt immensely but a turn around the next week to 1-2 would soften the blow a bit. After going to Dallas, Washington goes:

@ Houston
vs. Jacksonville (by then, Fred Taylor is hurt)
@ New York Giants
vs. Tennesee

Much like New York, a Washington loss would make the week 5 matchup(@ NY) critical. I'd suggest that even with a loss this week, Washington is looking at 2-2 going into that game...and a win there makes 4-2 going into Indianapolis probable. A 4-2 record should have a veteran Joe Gibbs team brimming with enough confidence and experience as they head into the toughest stretch of their schedule.

And finally, we have our Dallas Cowboys. A loss to Washington isn't insurmountable for Dallas as their schedule softens a bit afterwards, but it would give them a lot to reflect on going into the bye. It could also stoke any smoldering flames in the locker room (particularly if you're inclined to believe TO is going to blow up any moment).

That said, after hosting Washington, Dallas goes:

bye
@ Tennessee
@ Philadelphia
vs. Houston
vs New York

A loss to Washington, and Dallas is looking at 0-2 and a bye for Tennessee. That makes 1-2 the probably record going to Philadelphia. With a loss to Washington in Week 2, that game @ Philadelphia becomes huge. Not only for evening the record at 2-2, but also because of what comes next. Houston is beatable, and New York will be a tough but necessary win. Beat Philly, and the New York games loses a little importance. However if you lose to both Philly and Washington, and that New York game becomes a "must-win" as the next 3 games are on the road against Carolina, Washington, and Arizona.

In summation, yes it's just week 2. And yes, things will change. But the schedule makers have graciously granted New York an extremely difficult early schedule, and tough ones to Washington and Dallas while blessing Philadelphia with an easy early schedule. If you believe that the early part of the season sets the pace for the rest of it, then this week is going to tell us boatloads of information about the NFC East and what will be forthcoming.

And I apologize in advance for the length of this.

roughneck266

Reaction score
Nothing to apologize for when you make good points. Just gotta satrt th ewhole thing off by handing Washington a resounding butt kicking and the rest will look a whole lot better.

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
What really shocked me about this though, is how dire things look for New York.

I honestly think they might be the best team, talent wise, in the NFC East. But their schedule is so ridiculously difficult early on, that an implosion is possible.

Coughlin is notorious for being a very "in your face" coach, and I can see that getting tough for the players to deal with if they get off to a wretched start. If they somehow end up 0-4, I think that team just falls apart, and 0-4 is very possible with a loss to Philly.

parchy

Reaction score
Looking at last year should provide you with enough evidence to support the theory that the "real" season doesn't start until the second half.

When the Commanders were 5-6, we were 7-4.

This is an important game without question, and it could end up being important down the line in a tiebreaker situation, but especially in the NFL, finishing strong is much more important than starting strong.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We lose to the skins, we finish under .500:bang2:

jay cee

Reaction score
EastDallasCowboy said:
What really shocked me about this though, is how dire things look for New York.

I honestly think they might be the best team, talent wise, in the NFC East. But their schedule is so ridiculously difficult early on, that an implosion is possible.

Coughlin is notorious for being a very "in your face" coach, and I can see that getting tough for the players to deal with if they get off to a wretched start. If they somehow end up 0-4, I think that team just falls apart, and 0-4 is very possible with a loss to Philly.
Great work. Philly's early schedule is so easy, that I am hoping the Giants knock them off in their game.

Although, it could be cool to see one of NFC East contenders virtually out of the running by Week 5 or 6, if the Giants implode.

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
It certainly would be interesting, but on the other hand you don't want to see Philly get too far ahead.

And while I agree that a second half surge is more important, confidence is built early in the NFL season. If a team gets off to a horrendous start, the odds are against them being able to pull it together at the end.

It's not impossible, but much less probable.

canters

Reaction score
noshame said:
We lose to the skins, we finish under .500:bang2:

I tend to agree.

Even if G-men lose to the E-girls this week, they will be in the hunt by the end of the year.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Good points. I would add that we will know that much more by the end of week 5, by which point a lot of intradivision games will have gone down.

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
Obviously we'll know a lot more by Week 5. I dare day that by Week 5, one team will probably be nearly eliminated from the race.

I just don't remember a week 2 with so much intrigue in a while.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
canters said:
I tend to agree.

Even if G-men lose to the E-girls this week, they will be in the hunt by the end of the year.

That's not because I think we're a bad team(at the moment):eek::

It's because I think the Skins are over-rated and are a .500 team.

If we lose, well.....:mad: