Why will the Cowboys be better in 2008?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I think its pretty impressive how much the team helped itself in the offseason.

I was extremely pleased with the play of that entire group. It might be too early to get a definite read but I am going to be the first to say that I was wrong about Felix. I was a big Mendy supporter but am glad the team went Felix.

Of all those players, the one guy I am hoping takes the step to the next level is Miles. If Dallas can get that deep threat opposite TO and put Crayton in the slot, watch out. I am not saying that I think Austin will be better than Crayton because he won't. What I am saying is if Austin can provide just enough to be a legitimate concern on the opposite side of the field, the team can then move Crayton to that role he is so perfectly built for.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2188627 said:
I think its pretty impressive how much the team helped itself in the offseason.

I was extremely pleased with the play of that entire group. It might be too early to get a definite read but I am going to be the first to say that I was wrong about Felix. I was a big Mendy supporter but am glad the team went Felix.

Of all those players, the one guy I am hoping takes the step to the next level is Miles. If Dallas can get that deep threat opposite TO and put Crayton in the slot, watch out. I am not saying that I think Austin will be better than Crayton because he won't. What I am saying is if Austin can provide just enough to be a legitimate concern on the opposite side of the field, the team can then move Crayton to that role he is so perfectly built for.

Miles has the body and athletic ability to be a number one. Hes learning to use his body to shield defender on short and intermediate routes and already has the speed to get deep.

I for one wouldnt be surprised to see Austin starting before the season is over.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2188630 said:
Miles has the body and athletic ability to be a number one. Hes learning to use his body to shield defender on short and intermediate routes and already has the speed to get deep.

I for one wouldnt be surprised to see Austin starting before the season is over.

I've been a big Miles supporter and I hope he can move up and fulfill the role but I think he still may be a little raw.

sago1

Reaction score
Glad Austin's been spending time, along with Hurd, working out on the jugs machine after practices. Hurd improved enough in 07 to contribute 19 catches & a TD in his hust his 2nd season. Unfortunatley Hurd lacks the speed, but not the desire, to become the #2 WR we desperately need opposite TO.

Saturday night's game was Austin's first step in showing he's got some pretty good hands to go with his size & speed. We really need him to continue to improve as the preseason continues. Would love to see his catches again so if anybody could put a clip up showing them would really be appreciated. Realize a few other posters have already asked for that to be done.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
DallasDomination;2188756 said:
nice video...

x1.

Check out the Austin catches at:

3:40 mark - Austin comes back and fights for football and sheds DB and advances about 8-10 yards

4:18 - Austin goes up with authority and snatches ball out of air and he is trying to break free and advance... check out his jumping up and down(as if to say "get off of me" while DB #1 is trying to tackle him... he wanted the endzone... I love it

The common theme: I see some "T.O. Animal" in him once he gets the ball.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2188630 said:

100% agreed. :)

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I was really thrilled by the improvement of Austin thus far and I was very happy with what I saw from Felix and Choice.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Great work DC.

What's funny is that if Amendola doesn't fumble that second punt the entire 2nd Q plays out differently.

Maybe we still lose by 7-10 points, but it's more reasonable outcome. Being down by 21 in the 2nd Q and ultimately losing by 14 allows all the nay sayers to raise their eyebrow and fire off a mild "I TOLD YOU SO".

aikemirv

Reaction score
I think the biggest difference on this team will be the play of Jenkins and Adam Jones versus Reeves and Nate Jones. That is where we need to improve to advance through the playoffs.

They will make more 3rd down plays that stop drives. That was our biggest weakness last year, period.

You saw that in the NY game and also against the Patriots. If we are going to win the big games our CB's have to play better. With that our rush will be better.

We don't need to be any better on offense with a healthy T.O. although I think we will be a bit more consistent running the ball and continuing drives.

sago1

Reaction score
All of these players did better in the preseason opener then we could have hoped for. Hope they continue to play well against Denver and hopefully there will be 3-4 more players DCFanatic can include in his next clip. Great job DCFan & appreciate all your work.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
sago1;2188938 said:
All of these players did better in the preseason opener then we could have hoped for. Hope they continue to play well against Denver and hopefully there will be 3-4 more players DCFanatic can include in his next clip. Great job DCFan & appreciate all your work.

I am hoping the next vid is like 30 minutes long, lol.

I need to see Felix take a screen pass to the house!

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
What will make the Cowboys better this year, is the continuity of the Cowboys offense and what and how Garrett will expand it,

next is the arrival of Austin some, and dont give up on Stanback, I think by the middle of the year, Stanback will start showing some things like austin did alilttle last year

Then, you have Felix Jones in slot and running when he spells Barber, then Choice as a backup to spell Barber

Then, you have Adam Jones and Tank Johnson, those 2 players will vastly improve the Cowboys, both on defense and Adam Jones in the punt return game

Then Mike Jenkins and Scandrick in coverages, and last but least, Anthony Henry being move to safety some to take place of Roy on certain dime packages etc, to cover the tight ends that Cleveland has in Winslow, Boss with the Giants, Cooley with the Commanders, you need a good safety to cover those TE's. joe

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't want be a homer and say the Cowboys are going to be great so let me ask Jamie Dukes.

Jamie will the Cowboys be better in 2008?
Jamie: Yes of course they will, they are the most talented team in the NFL and will be in the Super Bowl.

Well there you have it.
:laugh2:

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2189510 said:
I don't want be a homer and say the Cowboys are going to be great so let me ask Jamie Dukes.

Jamie will the Cowboys be better in 2008?
Jamie: Yes of course they will, they are the most talented team in the NFL and will be in the Super Bowl.

Well there you have it.
:laugh2:

Yeah, his co-host was none to happy with him either. :lmao:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
cowboys2233;2189514 said:
Yeah, his co-host was none to happy with him either. :lmao:

Who cares Jamie could eat him for a snack and still have room for the 2 morning Sunday shows. :laugh2: