Will Commanders Party Like It's 1991?

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
By: Rich Tandler
Editor-in-Chief
Date: Jul 5, 2006

Tandler's Commanders Blog Ver. 07.05.06--By all indications, the Commanders are headed for a special season in 2006. But how special? Can they come close to matching the performance of Joe Gibbs' last championship team, one of the best NFL teams of all time?

Let’s see here. The 1990 Commanders, coached by Joe Gibbs, went 10-6 and made the playoffs after a multi-year absence. They were a Wild Card entry, having finished behind the division-champion New York Giants They won a Wild Card game on the road before traveling west to San Francisco and bowing out in the divisional round. Gibbs also coached the 2005 Commanders and last year they went 10-6 to end a playoff drought as a Wild Card entrant having finished second to the Giants. The ’05 Skins also won a road playoff game prior to going to the West Coast and losing to Seattle.

As we all know, the ’90 Commanders became the 1991 edition, one of the best teams in NFL history. They went 14-2, outscoring the opposition by better than a 2-1 margin. After steamrolling their way through the playoffs they crushed the Bills in Super Bowl XXVI.

The question that must be asked is the obvious one—will history repeat? To start to look at the possibilities here, let’s look at each area of the team and compare the ’91 and ’06 editions. Today, a look at the offense.

Offensive line
The 1991 line gave up a mere nine sacks of Mark Rypien, hardly the most mobile of quarterbacks. While they had help from a lot of max protect schemes that Gibbs utilized it was still an amazing performance. Even with a more mobile quarterback in Mark Brunell, that number would be pretty hard to match in today’s blitz-happy NFL; the fewest sacks allowed by a team last year was 20 by the Colts. Washington would do well to come close to that number in 2006.

There isn’t a lineman on today’s Commanders who is as good as Jim Lachey, who could have been a Hall of Fame left tackle had injuries not cut his career short. Jeff Bostic at center and Joe Jacoby, who played most of the year at right tackle, were past their primes but still had enough in the tank to get the job done. You’d have to think that they would start over Casey Rabach and Jon Jansen. Randy Thomas might be ready to get the Pro Bowl recognition that the man who played his position in ’91, Mark Schlereth, got that year. Raleigh McKenzie would certainly get the nod over Derrick Dockery at left guard.

Maybe this current line will live up to all the hype that I’ve been giving them for the past year, but for right now you have to think that the ’91 line is clearly the superior unit.

Quarterback
Just as there are question marks surrounding Brunell’s ability to stay healthy and lead a deep playoff run today, similar doubts surrounded Rypien going in to 1991. Rypien had missed six games in ’90 due to injuries and hadn’t shown that he had the ability to win the big ones. On top of that, he held out for the first part of training camp, drawing the ire of fans and coaches alike in the process. He turned the question marks into exclamation points by passing for 3,564 yards and 28 touchdowns. It would not be unprecedented for a quarterback to post something close to such numbers at the age of 36, which is how old Brunell will be by Week 2 next year.

Running back
Ernest Byner ran for 1,048 yards in 1991 and rookie Ricky Ervins chipped in 680. Clinton Portis could exceed that combined total by himself this year. He combines Byner’s power and Ervins’ elusiveness into one package. All due respect to Byner, Portis’ current position coach, but the running back position is far superior now to what it was in 1991.

Receivers
Please don’t take this wrong, but Art Monk was past his prime in 1991. He was still an excellent receiver, but his peak season was in 1984, seven years earlier. Ricky Sanders was not quite at his peak either as he had enjoyed his two 1,000-yard seasons in 1988 and 1989. Those two complimented Gary Clark, who had his best season in 1991, just as Santana Moss had his best in 2005. It will take some doing for Moss, Antwaan Randle El, and Brandon Lloyd to match the productivity of the Posse

nchhalada333

Benched
Reaction score
i think they have a VERY VERY good chance of matching this team because they dont have many question marks. Weakside Linebacker is one and the others are about Depth which could be solved if a few Special Teams Players step up

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
Commanders fans are dreaming!!! There is simply no way a team implementing a brand new, complicated offensive scheme with a new coordinator and a deteriorating QB is going to do anything this season. Al Saunders is a great coach but the timing couldn't be worse. Commanders finish THIRD in the division at 9-7 and MISS the playoffs.:star:

MSalz87

Reaction score
Coming off a trip to the playoffs and hoping to build upon that isnt exactly dreaming, however I would predict that whatever team wins the NFC East will make it to the superbowl. Thats the kind of talent each team has and for the Commanders to dominate at 14-2 is a stretch to say the least with the schedule we have. Most other teams in the NFL would go 0-6 in this division.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Washington weaknesses:

1) WOLB
2) QB age
3) No proven pass rushers; defense has to scheme too much.
4) WR's are not diverse and will get schemed.
5) RG and C average, LT just above average (RT is class of the conference)

parchy

Reaction score
Why did you post this, anyway? There are already waaay too many Commanders threads on the first page.

Kevin

Commanders Fan
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Washington weaknesses:

1) WOLB
2) QB age

Yes, WOLB is a weakness, and our biggest one at that. Brunell's age is not a weakness- it is simply a concern. Plenty of QBs in the league have shown that they can still get the job done. I'm not saying the Brunell's age isn't going to cause problems, but until it does we shouldn't assume it will. Brunell has shown us, however, that he absolutely sucks when he's bothered by any part of his body. A tweaked QB, for the Washington Commanders, is a weakness.

I beg to differ about the pass rushers. Andre Carter didn't do to well last year, because the 49ers had him playing primarily at Linebacker. This year he'll be back at DE, where he racked up 12 sacks the season before. I'm pretty sure 12 sacks counts as "proven". I'm not really sure what "defense has to scheme too much means"- in my mind scheming is part of a defense.

Our WRs aren't diverse? While this may be true, I certainly don't think it's a problem. I'm not going to get into a WR debate. That can be debated day in and day out, and there is never going to be a right answer, or anything anyone will agree on until after Week 2 (and probably not even then.)

Our offensive line is nothing like what we had in the early nineties, but it's definitley not slacking. They certainly get the job done, and like all offensive lines, the chemistry is slowly building, as we have the same unit as last year. I'm hoping from a good season out of those guys. All in all, the Oline is nothing spectacular, but I think they do a good job.

The season needs to start. Speculation is horrid.

Kevin

Commanders Fan
Reaction score
parchy said:
Nah.

Commanders discussion though...

:eek: Are you saying the season doesn't need to start? I think that qualifies as sacreligious regardless of your team.

parchy

Reaction score
Kevin said:
:eek: Are you saying the season doesn't need to start? I think that qualifies as sacreligious regardless of your team.

I was commenting on your point that 'speculation is horrid,' not about the season.

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Washington weaknesses:

1) WOLB
2) QB age

While I gotta semi-agree about everything else Samuels he was rated the #1 lineman of the 2006 season based on his flawless block percentage......I think it was like 96%.......he's better than the average ABOVE average tackle...lol:p:

NorTex

Reaction score
I'm lovin that the skins fans are getting their hopes up...this is gonna be great when they fall flat on their face.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
nchhalada333 said:
i think they have a VERY VERY good chance of matching this team because they dont have many question marks. Weakside Linebacker is one and the others are about Depth which could be solved if a few Special Teams Players step up

Your lack of depth is most critical at:

1) Quarterback

2) Offensive line

3) Defensive back

Now, which of your special teamers are gonna step up to provide quality backups on the OL, or at QB??

I think your lack of depth is that fatal flaw in this team, particularly on the offensive line... it's a SERIOUS dropoff in talent from your starting line to the likes of Tyson Walter and Mike Pucillo (your two best backups)...

When Randy Thomas and then Ray Brown went down to injury, the Skins averaged less than 230 yards a game, and less than 15 points... the funny thing about that is, Ray Brown and Cory Raymer were better than Walter (an ex-Cowboy, believe me I know whereof I speak here) and Pucillo...

I have said a number of times, on a number of boards, that the Skins don't have a single backup offensive lineman who could even make the Cowboys' 53 man roster (and offensive line isn't our strongest position)...

I'm honestly flabbergasted that the Skins have not made more of an effort to upgrade their offensive line depth, not only this year, but last year as well... in his first run with the Skins, the hallmark of Gibbs' teams was the Hogs, who were perhaps the best offensive line in the game at the time... and they had quality players coming off the bench, too...

Nope, an injury to Brunell or one or two injuries on the offensive line, and your offense is in deep doo-doo... and if the injury bug bites in your defensive backfield, the guys you'll be bringing in are the very definition of "fringe players"...

Mind you, I'm not saying that the Boys don't have areas where they're thin too (Quarterback especially), but they have no position where they're as razor-thin as the Skins are on the OL...

I will say that this is perhaps the LEAST homeristic piece I've seen Rich Tandler write... why, it's almost REASONABLE... LOL...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Kevin, I like a lot of what you had to say here, but I do have some minor quibbles:

Kevin said:
I beg to differ about the pass rushers. Andre Carter didn't do to well last year, because the 49ers had him playing primarily at Linebacker. This year he'll be back at DE, where he racked up 12 sacks the season before.

Uhhh, that's not quite accurate... first off, Carter's 12.5 sack season was back in 2002, NOT in 2004... and after that season, but before they switched to a 3-4 scheme (IOW, while he was still playing DE rather than OLB), he had 6.5 sacks in 2003... I'm not sure if they switched to the 3-4 in 2004 or last year, but he was hurt that year anyway, playing only 7 games, and recording just 2 sacks...

I'm pretty sure 12 sacks counts as "proven".

One 12.5 sack season in 5 years in the NFL; hmmmm, does that count as "proven", or does it count as a one year wonder, and aberration??

In his other 4 seasons in the NFL, Andre has 19.5 sacks in 53 games, an average of just less than 6 sacks per 16 games played... even factoring in that one big season, he's averaged a little under 8 sacks per 16 games played...

Clearly, the Skins THINK they can get production similar to 2002 out of him by moving him to DE, but again, he really only had ONE productive season, even when he playing DE, for the Niners...

And of course, if he "only" gives them 8 sacks this year, consistent with his career average, that would still represent a bit of an improvement for the Skins' pass rush... so I'm not saying he's BAD, I'm just saying it's a bit unrealistic of you to expect a dozen sacks from him this year...

Now, watch him go out and do exactly that, LOL...

Our WRs aren't diverse? While this may be true, I certainly don't think it's a problem.

Oh, I don't think it's a critical problem, but on 3rd and 4 you guys might wish you had one big, physical wideout to pair with Chris Cooley... as it is, Cooley is really your only true possession WR (maybe Randle El can take up SOME of that slack, but Moss and Lloyd won't)...

Our offensive line is nothing like what we had in the early nineties, but it's definitley not slacking. They certainly get the job done, and like all offensive lines, the chemistry is slowly building, as we have the same unit as last year. I'm hoping from a good season out of those guys. All in all, the Oline is nothing spectacular, but I think they do a good job.

As long as they stay HEALTHY, they'll be fine... but your line can't withstand too many injuries (really, even one long-term injury to a starter) without seeing a significant dropoff in efficiency... the last regular season game and 2 playoff games last year proved that pretty conclusively...

The season needs to start. Speculation is horrid.

Naw, speculation is FUN... ;)

metalichris

Reaction score
:eek: Some of you people actually believe that the Commanders aren't going to give us a run for our money. I think we sit in the same boat when talking about QB and OLine. If Brunell of Bledsoe goes down, the season is over for both teams. A few injuries to both OLines, and we are both screwed. Right now, I think the Commanders are the better team (Opinions will vary on that statement). I just don't see where some of you think that they can't challenge us.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never in my wildest dreams did I EVER think I would see so many Redstink threads or Redstink fans in the CowboysZone. :mad:

Training camp can't start soon enough.

nchhalada333

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Kevin, I like a lot of what you had to say here, but I do have some minor quibbles:

Uhhh, that's not quite accurate... first off, Carter's 12.5 sack season was back in 2002, NOT in 2004... and after that season, but before they switched to a 3-4 scheme (IOW, while he was still playing DE rather than OLB), he had 6.5 sacks in 2003... I'm not sure if they switched to the 3-4 in 2004 or last year, but he was hurt that year anyway, playing only 7 games, and recording just 2 sacks...

One 12.5 sack season in 5 years in the NFL; hmmmm, does that count as "proven", or does it count as a one year wonder, and aberration??

In his other 4 seasons in the NFL, Andre has 19.5 sacks in 53 games, an average of just less than 6 sacks per 16 games played... even factoring in that one big season, he's averaged a little under 8 sacks per 16 games played...

Clearly, the Skins THINK they can get production similar to 2002 out of him by moving him to DE, but again, he really only had ONE productive season, even when he playing DE, for the Niners...

And of course, if he "only" gives them 8 sacks this year, consistent with his career average, that would still represent a bit of an improvement for the Skins' pass rush... so I'm not saying he's BAD, I'm just saying it's a bit unrealistic of you to expect a dozen sacks from him this year...

Now, watch him go out and do exactly that, LOL...

Oh, I don't think it's a critical problem, but on 3rd and 4 you guys might wish you had one big, physical wideout to pair with Chris Cooley... as it is, Cooley is really your only true possession WR (maybe Randle El can take up SOME of that slack, but Moss and Lloyd won't)...

As long as they stay HEALTHY, they'll be fine... but your line can't withstand too many injuries (really, even one long-term injury to a starter) without seeing a significant dropoff in efficiency... the last regular season game and 2 playoff games last year proved that pretty conclusively...

Naw, speculation is FUN... ;)

Andre will also help take double teams away from big Griff so it will be easier to get through the line and on Drew Bledsoes sorry ***

burmafrd

Reaction score
Carter sounds like their Wiley. A guy who had one great season and never did it again.

ravidubey

Reaction score
KINGBRICE_28 said:
While I gotta semi-agree about everything else Samuels he was rated the #1 lineman of the 2006 season based on his flawless block percentage......I think it was like 96%.......he's better than the average ABOVE average tackle...lol:p:
Well, he must have been doing something right last year so I'll have to give you benefit of the doubt!

I also agree that Washington's OL chemistry greatly improved down the stretch and that bringing them back intact has Washington a leg up.