Will Greg Ellis move back to end?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
In Wade Phillips 3-4, will Ellis move back to end rather than stay at linebacker?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Galian Beast;1382613 said:
In Wade Phillips 3-4, will Ellis move back to end rather than stay at linebacker?

I'd move him back to end. I doubt he'll be able to play lb after his injury....assuming he can come back.

Reaction score
3-4 ends dont weigh 275 pounds....

His role might be in a nickel 4-3 look as an pass rushing end either opposite of ware or rotating with Hatcher.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Phillips will review the film of this past season and I think he will figure out how best to use players like Ellis. I could see Ellis splitting time between the OLB and DE depending on the situation.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Future 585;1382663 said:
I think Ellis is going to be moving to FA...

That Achilles tear won't heal easily or quickly.
Even after it heals (from personal experience), cutting, stopping and redirecting the foot becomes a terrifying ordeal. You never quite trust it again.
I can't imagine the physical stress he'd and that achilles' heel will encounter in NFL practice and then in games.
Free agency might be best. maybe we can snooker the Skins or Al Davis.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1382618 said:
I'd move him back to end. I doubt he'll be able to play lb after his injury....assuming he can come back.

I agree. Although I don't think he'll be able to play DE either.

And as far as a 3rd down pass rusher, his pass rush skills (already limited) will suffer the most. I doubt he'll be on our nickel defense. At least he won't be the 3rd game.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
It's sad, but I think at best we can count on Ellis as a situational pass russher this year...if that. I just think he won't be very productive this year, put that against his salary. Not sure what's gonna happen to Ellis.

CoachHodnett

Play-calling is an Art
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but unless he beats the odds, he won't be able to make an impact at LB, and is probably best suited at end, although he won't make a huge impact there either.

A few LB's who went through this and never returned to their old selves include Takeo Spikes and Sam Cowart.

Tearing the Achilles greatly affects the explosion out of your stance as well as speed, both of which a Good pass-rusher must have.

sago1

Reaction score
I'm hoping against the odds that Ellis is able to come back on the way and play at either DE/OLB position as Phillips sees fit. But admit I am concerned whether he will ever be the player he was before--our best pass rusher except for Ware. Obviously we'll have to wait and see where he's act as TC draws near. I do remember reading on more then one occasion that his rehab is on schedule.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
sago1;1383080 said:
I'm hoping against the odds that Ellis is able to come back on the way and play at either DE/OLB position as Phillips sees fit. But admit I am concerned whether he will ever be the player he was before--our best pass rusher except for Ware. Obviously we'll have to wait and see where he's act as TC draws near. I do remember reading on more then one occasion that his rehab is on schedule.

Last I heard Ellis was ahead of schedule on his rehab and hopefully will be ready for the start of training camp.