News: Will Orlando Scandrick Return to Cowboys in 2018?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Will Orlando Scandrick Return to Cowboys in 2018?
https://insidethestar.com/will-orlando-scandrick-return-cowboys-2018/

...If Dallas cuts Scandrick outright, they will get back about $1.4 million from his $5.3-million cap hit in 2018. If they make him a June-1st cut, the cap relief increases to $3 million and pushes $1.6 million of dead money into 2019. Dallas may look at those modest savings and decide it’s better to just keep Scandrick around one more year for veteran depth and leadership. In 2019, they can cut him outright for $4 million in cap space, with only a $1.6-million penalty.

Another factor here is the arrival of Kris Richard as the new defensive backs coach. Coming from Seattle, Richard is bringing a very specific philosophy and pedigree when it comes to the secondary. He may not value a veteran like Scandrick if he’s looking to incorporate new methods and styles into the Cowboys’ cornerbacks.

What’s more, there’s talk of Byron Jones moving back to corner after an underwhelming season at safety. He fits the physical mold of the corners Kris Richard liked with the Seahawks. That would almost certainly push Orlando Scandrick out the door. Right now things don’t look good for Scandrick’s return in 2018, but we’ve seen before that the Cowboys hold on to veterans for an extra year or two, despite expectations. Will that prove true in Orlando’s case, or will changes to the coaching staff and roster, plus the team’s desperation to get back into the postseason, leave him the odd man out?

DanA

Reaction score
I'd keep him. He provides a bit of extra depth at a reasonable price, I think he'll push to be cut or traded though. I don't think he's a starter in the current DB group and he'll be acutely aware of how that affects his next contract.

dwreck27

Reaction score
I'd keep him. He provides a bit of extra depth at a reasonable price, I think he'll push to be cut or traded though. I don't think he's a starter in the current DB group and he'll be acutely aware of how that affects his next contract.

He’s not exactly the veteran presence you want...

I think woods and brown can man the slot for change compared to Oscan sorry but everyone has to go eventually

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends on off season acquisitions and what the Cowboys do with Jones. If they add a CB in FA or the draft and they do the right thing and move Jones to CB, there may not be room for OScan's salary.

Awuzie
Benwikere
Brown
Jones
Lewis
White

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Depending on how the draft goes, they might not even have room for him.

glimmerman

Reaction score
They may let him compete with the youngsters. With a new coach coming in you never know. Scandy may fit the mold. Hoping no more of this playing a mile off the receiver

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Depends on off season acquisitions and what the Cowboys do with Jones. If they add a CB in FA or the draft and they do the right thing and move Jones to CB, there may not be room for OScan's salary.

Awuzie
Benwikere
Brown
Jones
Lewis
White
That list is suspect

BJones is a FS
Bene is a FA
White is PS

I would keep OScan

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Oscan isn’t exactly the Vet you want around... isn’t it well known he doesn’t like to help develop the younger DBs? And his play has fallen off the last few years... don’t know the last meaningful play he made. He was the best CB in Dallas when Carr and Claiborne were here but know... I think the 2ndary last year proved they don’t necessarily need a vet out there helping them, and with the new DB coach... keep him, trade him, cut him I don’t think it matters much.

I do like the idea of having a pissed off Vet pushing the young CBs though, Oscan isn’t the type of person to just let someone take his job. If he’s beat out it’s because the young guy is just better.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
We have quite a pool of CB's at the moment. Anthony Browne, Chidobe, Lewis. Have also heard the chatter about possibly moving Jones to CB. We even used Woods as a slot CB last year. I'd move on from Scandrick, and draft one more. I've also heard chatter of Chidobe playing safety. It will be interesting to see Richards fingerprints on the secondary. He likes long CB's who are athletic and can play man coverage. Not sure where that leaves Lewis or Woods. Richard has some tools to work with. Doesn't sound like this is a good draft for SS

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Hopefully not. Time to purge these veterans. Guy has been a decent player but certainly actual skills don’t equal perception of skills.

Nasty attitudes aren't hard to replace. Find another with some ball skills. At one time Orlando was our fastest DB. Not any more.