Windows 8 - End of Support - Announced for - Jan. 10, 2023

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Keep in mind switching is a big leap in how you manage the computer. Linux is much more command line based. Even with the UI, it is still considerably more command line. Editing files can be very different. Most modern Linux distros come with some type of "notepad" that can be used but they are fairly limited. Learning VI or VIM is not easy but well worth the effort. Many Linux distros essentially comes closed where as Windows is fairly open. This is specifically for ports that you may need to enable for software or apps to work. Also many drivers that come bundled with Windows will not be with many Linux distros. Simple things like adding a printer can be a time consuming process because the vendor did not build a driver. So in addition to what Reality mentioned about reviewing the existing software you currently use, you should also review your home network and anything your computer connects to or connects to it.

The drivers situation in Linux is much, much easier than it used to be. Back in about '04, I did need to do some driver hunting. However, nowadays, I usually simply install the distro and it finds all the drivers I need. It's because companies are doing a much better job supporting Linux. I do try to stick to companies that I know are committed to supporting Linux. For example, if you use an HP or a Canon printer, you'll almost certainly have no problems getting those printers going. HP has come out with a Linux-based support program named HPLIP. You just install that and you can use pretty much any HP printer. Some very old printers may not be supported. Canon printers usually just plug in and it searches online for its driver for a couple minutes and you're going.

Since about 2014, it's been rare for me to ever have to search for any drivers. I usually just install the distro, and it finds what it needs. Kubuntu's install program even has a choice to have it automatically go get any proprietary drivers that it needs. I always check off that box and I'm good. I have heard that some Linux users that use Nvidia for graphics have had some tech hoops to jump through, and that they're not totally happy with Nvidia's Linux support, but that there are tech solutions to make it work. I haven't experienced that, but I don't use Nvidia.

It's gotten much, much easier than it used to be, and there are many Linux users who never use the command line. I use it because it gives me more control, and there's a lot of software that you can install from the command line. It's not obligatory, however.

The main thing is making sure you have the software that you need. If you work for a company that has had software created for it that only runs on Windows, then Linux may not be the right choice, at least not for your work PC. On the other hand, a lot of companies are making their special software web-based, and they therefore work under Linux.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Majority of software is written for Windows and then MacOS. It is not even close when comparing what is supported for either of them directly against Linux for home users. Many times you will need to find alternatives. Drivers was just an example and can still be an issue. Just depends what you want for the system. I agree though it has gotten better but support is not near the same for Windows or MacOS. Your example of Nvidia is good example of needing to be OK with digging in on issues and looking for workarounds.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Windows update just screwed me again. Windows 10 is the biggest mistake I have made in a long time.
I use the "change your wifi to metered" and "don't download updates when metered" settings to prevent updates to when I want them on my gaming PC.

I used to disable the windows update services but Windows started restarting them even when setting them to disabled.

Creeper

Reaction score
I use the "change your wifi to metered" and "don't download updates when metered" settings to prevent updates to when I want them on my gaming PC.

I used to disable the windows update services but Windows started restarting them even when setting them to disabled.

I use a little app called WUB that allows to to disable Windows update services. I enabled updates for the first time in months and that's how I got hit. But interestingly enough, after spending the last 2 days trying to debug a network issue I noticed a new update available for Windows 10 .net services. Since my problem was a timeout with an httpwebrequest I thought, nah, it couldn't be. Then I went ahead and installed the update and voila! My problem was resolved!

The previous update must have had a bug. The new one fixed it.

My problem is not that they install updates or that they sometimes have bugs. My problem is that MS is so vague about what their updates effect. The descriptions on the last 2 .net updates are fuzzy and do not give any indication what they might effect so users can decide do I want this or not?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Majority of software is written for Windows and then MacOS. It is not even close when comparing what is supported for either of them directly against Linux for home users. Many times you will need to find alternatives. Drivers was just an example and can still be an issue. Just depends what you want for the system. I agree though it has gotten better but support is not near the same for Windows or MacOS. Your example of Nvidia is good example of needing to be OK with digging in on issues and looking for workarounds.

I find the online community support for Ubuntu and Kubuntu to be much, much better than any support I've ever gotten from a big company like Microsoft. Since going Linux in 2013 there's never been any issue that I couldn't find a solution to.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I find the online community support for Ubuntu and Kubuntu to be much, much better than any support I've ever gotten from a big company like Microsoft. Since going Linux in 2013 there's never been any issue that I couldn't find a solution to.

You are coming from a perspective of being good with doing your own troubleshooting and research. Which is why I believe you need to have that mindset to run Linux at home. The average person will not want to do that. Add in the complexity of learning Linux and navigating all the distros, freeware, and other types of software.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
You are coming from a perspective of being good with doing your own troubleshooting and research. Which is why I believe you need to have that mindset to run Linux at home. The average person will not want to do that. Add in the complexity of learning Linux and navigating all the distros, freeware, and other types of software.

Depends what you're using the computer for. If someone is just surfing the Internet and typing up letters, they'll have no problem with most Linux distros and will never have to use the command line or search for drivers in almost every case.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Mods, I need to bump this old thread as there's new information related to Windows 8 end of support:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-users-windows-7-8-and-81-moving-extended-support

Firefox users on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 moving to Extended Support Release

Firefox version 115 will be the last supported Firefox version for users of Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. If you are using these versions of Windows you will be moved to the Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) channel by an application update. Mozilla will provide security updates for these users until September 2024. No security updates will be provided after that date.

Microsoft ended official support for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 in January of 2023. Unsupported operating systems receive no security updates and have known exploits. With no official support from Microsoft, maintaining Firefox for obsolete operating systems becomes costly for Mozilla and dangerous for users.

Most browsers, including Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge, have already ended support for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1.

53033335668_db5a8e379d_w.jpg