Winslow apologizes to Browns and fans

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Friday, May 27, 2005 Tony Grossi
Plain Dealer Reporter

Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. issued a public apology on Thursday for riding a motorcycle in violation of his contract and acknowledged that he will miss the 2005 season because of injuries suffered in an accident on May 1.

The Winslow family has pro hibited the Browns from disclosing specifics about Winslow's injuries.

The club has not commented on reports that Winslow will need major surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee as a result of losing control of his high-powered motorcycle while practicing wheelies and endos in a secluded parking lot in Westlake.

The statement, issued through the Browns but crafted by the Winslow family, said in part, "To those members of the Cleveland Browns family who I have disappointed by my decision to ride a motorcycle, I humbly apologize. In hindsight, it was unwise to attempt to learn to ride a motorcycle without a professional instructor in a controlled environment.

"While many of you are disappointed that I will not be on the field with my teammates for this upcoming season, no one is more disappointed in this fact than me."

Winslow may need up to 12 months to recover once surgery is done on the knee. Winslow was waiting for an independent review of a magnetic resonance imaging test on the knee before surgery is scheduled.

A source said Thursday that Winslow has not yet received that second opinion. His acknowledgement of missing the season would appear to verify that he has accepted the opinion of Browns physicians.

By breaching his contract, which expressly specifies motorcycling as a hazardous activity in which he cannot participate, Winslow will be subject to returning bonus money already paid by the Browns and forfeiting future payments owed him.

NFL.com and ESPN.com reported that the Browns have come to the decision to recoup a portion of the $9.4125 million they are entitled to under terms of the contract.

Winslow has been paid $3.05 million of his original $6 million signing bonus and $2 million of a $4.4125 million option bonus.

The club could seek repayment of the $5.05 million already paid and also withhold another $2 million payment on the signing bonus due on July 15.

The contract calls for a final payment to Winslow of $950,000 on Dec. 15 (signing bonus) and $2.4125 million on July 15, 2006 (option bonus). The Browns are entitled to recoup these monies, also. They could elect to allow Winslow to recover them by reaching certain playing incentives in the future.

Browns President John Collins said on Thursday, “We haven’t made a definitive determination on what we will do.”

At the time of his motorcycling crash, Winslow was still recovering from injuries to his right leg and ankle that ended his rookie season after two games.

Winslow said in his statement: “I worked extremely hard to recover from last season’s injury. To the entire Cleveland Browns’ family, I pledge to work twice as hard to recover from the injuries sustained from my motorcycle accident.”

Winslow did not detail his injuries in his statement. The Browns previously only identified them as “internal injuries” and swelling in his right shoulder and right knee.

In his statement, Winslow thanked the Browns, coaches, teammates, medical staff and their fans who have prayed for his recovery.

“I cannot express how moved I am by the support and words of encouragement I have received from all over the country,” Winslow said.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter: tgrossi@plaind.com, 216-999-4670

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/111718641995883.xml&coll=2

k19

Reaction score
The franchise is Jinxed. I feel sorry for Braylon Edwards, he's next

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ThaSoldja said:
In hindsight, it was unwise to attempt to learn to ride a motorcycle without a professional instructor in a controlled environment.

Not only is it unwise to do what you just described...but it is also unwise to ride a motorcycle PERIOD when it is listed in your contract not to do it and result in you losing Millions.

The kid is thick headed....I wonder if this exp will even make a dent in him.

k19

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Not only is it unwise to do what you just described...but it is also unwise to ride a motorcycle PERIOD when it is listed in your contract not to do it and result in you losing Millions.

The kid is thick headed....I wonder if this exp will even make a dent in him.

I doubt it will. This kid is seriously into himself and thats about it.