With every game that passes, Canty is going to wish....

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
he signed the contract the Cowboys put on the table for him. I know there is a debate on this board on whether or not the Cowboys actually tried to sign him..but I think they did..and he wanted more than they were willing to pay. Again, he deserves what Ratliff got, no more, no less. It would not even be good for lockeroom chemistry to pay him more than Ratliff...Ratliff is our BEST DL. Are there still people out there who think differently?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'd like to see him resigned but I don't know that I believe he deserves exactly what Ratliff got.

khiladi

Reaction score
bbailey423;2277989 said:
he signed the contract the Cowboys put on the table for him. I know there is a debate on this board on whether or not the Cowboys actually tried to sign him..but I think they did..and he wanted more than they were willing to pay. Again, he deserves what Ratliff got, no more, no less. It would not even be good for lockeroom chemistry to pay him more than Ratliff...Ratliff is our BEST DL. Are there still people out there who think differently?

There is no way Canty should get as much as Ratliff... Ratliff is a premiere NT...

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
khiladi;2277996 said:
There is no way Canty should get as much as Ratliff... Ratliff is a premiere NT...
Truthfully...Ratliff is underpaid...and Jerry might try and fix that very soon. But I am convinced the Canty camp think he is worth more than Ratliff got. And you are right..Canty deserves what Ratliff got....and Ratliff probably signed for less than he is worth. But if that needs fixing...Jerry will fix it.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbailey423;2277989 said:
Again, he deserves what Ratliff got, no more, no less.

Bull-S he does.

Neither he nor Spears could carry Ratliff's jock.

Both Canty & Spears disappeared (again) last night, Canty shouldn't get anything close to what Ratliff received.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbailey423;2278001 said:
Truthfully...Ratliff is underpaid...and Jerry might try and fix that very soon.

Less than a year into a new contract?

You obviously have never run a business.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2278013 said:
Bull-S he does.

Neither he nor Spears could carry Ratliff's jock.

Both Canty & Spears disappeared (again) last night, Canty shouldn't get anything close to what Ratliff received.
I agree...but Ratliff is probably underpaid. I just know there was a huge debate on this board before the season that Canty was looking for the kind of money Oakland gave Kelly. I think 50M. And I remember thinking that Canty is not even better than Ratliff...who got 20M. And I defineitley remember there were members of this board who think Canty is better. HE IS NOT. He is solid...that's it!

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2278016 said:
Less than a year into a new contract?

You obviously have never run a business.
maybe I should qualify real soon. Maybe year 3 of the 5 year deal. And yes I have run a business...and I know Canty's people are going to argue Ratliff signed a bad contract...and I also know it would be bad business to give Canty more than Ratliff....but I think that is probably the dilema right now.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
bbailey423;2277989 said:

He deserves less.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
nyc;2278029 said:
He deserves less.
I hear you...but Cantly will not be back in Dallas for less money than Ratliff got...there will be some fractured front offices (cough cough Oakland, Washington)..that will offer him more than 20M over 5 years.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's like this, right now Canty is "Just a guy". Nothing more.

I would expect that the Cowboys will let him walk and will draft a DE early in the draft come April.

I don't think non-playmaking 3-4 DE's are that tough to find.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2278044 said:
It's like this, right now Canty is "Just a guy". Nothing more.

I would expect that the Cowboys will let him walk and will draft a DE early in the draft come April.

I don't think non-playmaking 3-4 DE's are that tough to find.
agree.....and you could be right...but I would gladly take him back at 5 years 20M....remember Tank is a free agent too.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
bbailey423;2278038 said:
I hear you...but Cantly will not be back in Dallas for less money than Ratliff got...there will be some fractured front offices (cough cough Oakland, Washington)..that will offer him more than 20M over 5 years.

So we draft a new DE and let Hatcher and Bowman fight for the job.

Paying a man for not making big impact plays just because "you don't want to lose him" is not the right answer. What happens if we let him go and Hatcher becomes a real force? Or better yet, we draft another 7th rounder who plays like Ratliff, but plays DE? Would you still want to over pay for a DE that doesn't consistently make the plays you want from him? The idea is to get better, not to pay for for status quo.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, Tank is a free agent also.

But this team is going to have a bundle of draft picks and salary cap space will be at a premium for many teams come next year with the ending of the current contract.

You just can't maintain a roster 100% from year to year and expect to stay a winner. It's all about transitioning older players with younger players. Jerry found out big time that you can't overpay for players and expect to have a consistent winner year in and year out.

Appreciate this team this year and expect next year's to be different.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
bbailey423;2278053 said:
agree.....and you could be right...but I would gladly take him back at 5 years 20M....remember Tank is a free agent too.

Thats twice what he is making now. If he wants more, then he needs to produce more.

I think my company should double my pay without me increasing my output.

Tank isn't exactly providing reason to pay him multi-millions either. At this point, we resign him because we need a backup nose tackle. He definitely isn't the starter on this team and you don't pay a backup $20M a year.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;2278079 said:
Tank isn't exactly providing reason to pay him multi-millions either. At this point, we resign him because we need a backup nose tackle. He definitely isn't the starter on this team and you don't pay a backup $20M a year.

Very good point.

If free agency started tomorrow and we lost Tank and Canty, I wouldn't say that this defense was doomed.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
nyc;2278079 said:
Thats twice what he is making now. If he wants more, then he needs to produce more.

I think my company should double my pay without me increasing my output.

Well from 06 to 07 his stats did go up lets see how he does his 2nd year under Wade it is still early in the season.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2278095 said:
Well from 06 to 07 his stats did go up lets see how he does his 2nd year under Wade it is still early in the season.

Agreed

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I hear everything you guys are saying about his lack of production....but I wish some of the Canty supporters would weigh in.....those that said he was better than Ratliff...those that said he would be in high demand this offseason. And I only pointed out that Tank would be a free agent because someone said let Canty walk. I think Tank has been "just a guy", but can we afford to let BOTH of them walk?