With The NBA,MLB, and NHL now changed

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Do you foresee the NFL changing it's rules soon?

While I don't think it will be nearly as drastic as the NHL(eliminating ties by shootout,dropping the centerline, changing where the goalie is located,smaller goalie pads)

Or the MLB, since we already have strict rules on performance enhancing drugs.

But the NBA is what intrigued me, from now on there is a 19 year old age cap, for prospects, encouraging high school athletes to attend college, or have to sit out a year before entering the draft.

Do you forsee the NFL lowering the age by say a year, to 19? I don't think it is out of the question at all, but how likely? Maurice Clarrett was a lock for a 1st round if he could have came out into the draft when he fought the NFL in court. Mike Williams was on almost all accounts the top pick, if not 2nd pick if he could have. Any thoughts?

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Football is a tough sport than NBA and the rest, it takes a bigger toll on your body, and really i think we should extend it, to many times players come out early and end up being busts, i've seen way to many young guys fail, when they could have stayed an extra year, and been even better.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Agreed, just wanted to see some people's opinions. I guess 1 year lower wouldn't be TOO bad, as most players would be out of high school for 1 or 2 years then. But then again, I turned 19 in july, so I could play right outta high school if that was a case. Just saying it was an interesting thing to look at, as all the other leagues are changing.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
but i dont think ofr the beter, i think the NBA should make it 20, i dont like high school players coming in making big money and not doing anything

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
In the NBA, Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Amare Stoudemire, and Kevin Garnett didn't do anything?

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Muhast said:
In the NBA, Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Amare Stoudemire, and Kevin Garnett didn't do anything?

did i say all if so sorry, but those are the few that did do something, but out of that group only two Lebron James and Amare Stoudemire have been instant impacts, all of those players took a year or two to realy be an impact in the NBA, that include Mcgrady, (who you left off)

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I think if your old enough to go die for your country you should be old enough to play a dang sport for a living.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I think if your old enough to go die for your country you should be old enough to play a dang sport for a living.

i never knew dying for country was the same as playing a sport

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
Comparing a sport to defending a country is bogus. There are more risks involved in defending a country than there ever will be in playing a sport.

The logic behind being 18 to defend the United States is that you gain all of your Constitutional rights when you turn 18. You are a legal adult. It's under that premise these two circumstances are different.

In professional sports, there are measures in place to minimize potential harm to a person. Not to mention that professional organizations want students to excel in the classroom before they can excel at the game.

In defending a country, there are no rules governing the limitation of risk to a person. It's as simple as that.

In no way, shape, or form can those two subjects be considered the same.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
KDWilliams85 said:
Comparing a sport to defending a country is bogus. There are more risks involved in defending a country than there ever will be in playing a sport.

The logic behind being 18 to defend the United States is that you gain all of your Constitutional rights when you turn 18. You are a legal adult. It's under that premise these two circumstances are different.

In professional sports, there are measures in place to minimize potential harm to a person. Not to mention that professional organizations want students to excel in the classroom before they can excel at the game.

In defending a country, there are no rules governing the limitation of risk to a person. It's as simple as that.

Good post.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
i never knew dying for country was the same as playing a sport
I guess you miss the point. IMO if your old enough to join the Military and go fight for this country then your damn well old enough to play in the NFL, NBA, NHL, or any other sport IMO. Its called a JOB

KDWILLIAMS said:

Sure it is. If your old enough to make a decision about one then your old enough to make the decision to play a pro sport.

The reason the NFL wants players to go to college is 1 to keep college FB the money making machine they are. 2 to help weed out the players who have hopes vs. those with the talent to play. could you imagine the number of entries in the draft if every 18 yr old who thought they where good enough entered the draft?

But thats not the question

KD what you said is completely wrong its your opinion and I respect that but if an 18 yr old is mentally strong enough to make the decision to go into the Military then surely they are mentally strong enough to go into the NFL. It has nothing to do with ability it is god given rights. Are you required to have a degree to play in the NFL, like you have to have to be a DR or other professions? NO you don't even have to go to college to get into the NFL its all about age M Clarette hasn't been in school for almost 2 years I don't think he even finished his first semester; which is called age discrimination and is wrong.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Agreed. If your old enough to help decide the president of the united states. And old enough to sign legally binding contracts, even simple things like cell phones, and gym memberships). And old enough to decide whether or not you want to goto college. Old enough to decide whether you want to move, or stay at home. If your old enough to make all of these life changing decisions, whether or not you play a sport, which is by definition a GAME, should not be out of the question at all/.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
But really if you think about it, the miltary doesnt take 18 year old kids and throw them out into a War, at least not anymore, When the army recuits you, them come to recurit you then you get four years at an army college of doing basic training, so if they have to go through 4 years of training then why do pro athletes get paid milllions of dollars to come out when there 18 only to sit on the bench, or sometimes fail, give me the percentage of underclassmen in the NBA and the NFL that actaully come out in their rookies years and succeed, and then I'll change my mind, i've seen to many young people fail, and everybody says, If only they would have stayed in school.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Old enough.

If the NFL was going to lower the age limit they would have done it last year.

The NFL is definitely demanding and tough but you cant discount the NHL and NBA that easily, unless you play both ways.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Sure it is. If your old enough to make a decision about one then your old enough to make the decision to play a pro sport.

The reason the NFL wants players to go to college is 1 to keep college FB the money making machine they are. 2 to help weed out the players who have hopes vs. those with the talent to play. could you imagine the number of entries in the draft if every 18 yr old who thought they where good enough entered the draft?

But thats not the question

KD what you said is completely wrong its your opinion and I respect that but if an 18 yr old is mentally strong enough to make the decision to go into the Military then surely they are mentally strong enough to go into the NFL. It has nothing to do with ability it is god given rights. Are you required to have a degree to play in the NFL, like you have to have to be a DR or other professions? NO you don't even have to go to college to get into the NFL its all about age M Clarette hasn't been in school for almost 2 years I don't think he even finished his first semester; which is called age discrimination and is wrong.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is you who have missed the point. It was never about age. It was about risk. Professional sports presents risk but that risk is marginal compared to defending a country. Granted, at any time your life could be taken away from you in sport, but there is very limited risk of that happening. There are rules and equipment designed to protect your body from harm. There are NO rules in war. It's either you or them when it comes to defense of a country. The only thing that keeps another from killing you is a gun, helmet, and a kevlar vest and those can very easily be circumvented. In sport, you can't get around that. It is required and necessary to wear protective gear.

Maurice Clarett did go to school for a year. At least he went to school. That rule was designed so that potential players wouldn't have to do what he did. The NFL wants kids to get an education and be successful in life and not just on the field. Let's be honest here, the odds of a 7th round pick making it in the NFL aren't good. The NFL doesn't want an 18 year old student to sign an agent and get screwed out of their collegiate eligibility if they don't get drafted. It's not fair to the student to get screwed out of that opportunity just because they didn't have what it took to make a team. At least a person who made it through college would have a plan to fall back on.

Like I said... it's never about age. It's all about risk. Whether it be physical risk or intellectual risk... the NFL won't have 18 year old kids playing unless they were 14 or 15 when they graduated. That's the only way.

You make it sound like a social injustice when it's not. You make it sound like the NFL is discriminating when they're not. That rule is there to protect them and not give them an opportunity to throw their life away. Believe it or not, that is sound parenting and a very good idea and it's worked.

I'm sorry that you see it that way.