With this Hatcher pick, any chance Spears moves inside?

acheman

Reaction score
We heard a few references last year to Spears having some problems, that he was in fact putting on too much weight. I wonder if he is gaining again and possibly moving to NT to compensate for Ferguson, and thus the Hatcher pick was more of a need than we suspect. I know we took Stanley, but suppose Feguson is out either this year or next. Just specualting here. Trying to gauge others thoughts on this even being a remote possibility. Let me know if you think it viable or not.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
acheman said:
We heard a few references last year to Spears having some weight gaining problems. I wonder if he is gaining and possibly moving to NT to compensate for Ferguson, and thus the Hatcher pick was more of a need than we suspect. I know we took Stanley, but suppose Feguson ids out either this year or next. Just specualting here. Trying to gauge others thoughts on this even being a remote possibility. Let me know if you think it viable or not.

No, but also Hell No. Spears was catching fire end of the season. You cannot have enough good DEs. If you have starting caliber DE as backup, then more the dominating Defense Line and more dominating DL, the better overall D is. Why mess with that? And spears didn't have issues with weight on TC started.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
if SPears is having weight-gaining problems, how is he going to make the transition to inside?

acheman

Reaction score
I phrased it wrong, he puts on too much weight for Parcells taste. Remember he called him Chubby Checker/Fats Domino and other derogatory remarks about his weight gain.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
acheman said:
I phrased it wrong, he puts on too much weight for Parcells taste. Remember he called him Chubby Checker/Fats Domino and other derogatory remarks about his weight gain.

after that comment he lost weight, down to 297 from 315 if I recall correctly

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Parcells used that as a motivator and then he got to the weight that Parcells wanted him at.

He was really good there at the end of the season too. He just finds ways to make plays.

acheman

Reaction score
Yes but he could put it back on, whether from laziness or the coaching staff asking him to. He has proven he can carry the weight, just not ideal for him to weigh that much playing DE.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
acheman said:
Yes but he could put it back on, whether from laziness or the coaching staff asking him to. He has proven he can carry the weight, just not ideal for him to weigh that much playing DE.

I don't think he's going to be putting the weight back on, Parcells wants him as one of his 3-4 DEs, and wants him at 297

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I think that pick is all about depth and setting up a rotation to keep the line fresh.

acheman

Reaction score
I guess my POSSIBLE scenario is utter garbage then. Thanks for the input.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yes but he could put it back on, whether from laziness or the coaching staff asking him to.

Thats just speculation.

He's a pro. Hes a good guy and he knows how to carry himself. I've never once heard that the kid was lazy.

If you took every quote that Parcells uses to motivate his players you'd think we have a team full of scrubs.

He's a motivator and thats how he motivates.

I don't know where you got the idea that he is lazy in your head but i'd do more research on a player before I started saying things about him that are tottally untrue.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
acheman said:
We heard a few references last year to Spears having some problems, that he was in fact putting on too much weight. I wonder if he is gaining again and possibly moving to NT to compensate for Ferguson, and thus the Hatcher pick was more of a need than we suspect. I know we took Stanley, but suppose Feguson is out either this year or next. Just specualting here. Trying to gauge others thoughts on this even being a remote possibility. Let me know if you think it viable or not.
Before anything like this could happen Hatcher would have to merit it. At this point it's way too early to assume he will, even though I think he will.

Spears is big enough that he could transition to NT, but my guess is they won't try to move him there. He is a prototypical LDE in a 3-4 scheme. A big, run stuffing force who can get after the QB too. I suspect Hatcher will get a lot of time on 3rd downs as a situational pass rusher.

Nothing wrong with trying to get all 3 of our young DL out on the field at the same time. Last year in the Cardinals PS game Canty played a little DT in a 4-3 set. The point is, the coaching staff is using these kid's versatility to the team's best advantage.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I think Spears and Canty could both occasionally move inside if we decide to play a 4-man line in the nickel in obvious passing down.

If we ever decide to move back to a 4-3, he could probably play the 3-technique tackle spot.

I don't think he is a NT - a bit too long.

jbsg02

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
I think Spears and Canty could both occasionally move inside if we decide to play a 4-man line in the nickel in obvious passing down.

If we ever decide to move back to a 4-3, he could probably play the 3-technique tackle spot.

I don't think he is a NT - a bit too long.

I could also see him maybe moving inside in a nickel set. Canty moved inside some lasy year in nickel situations. and i believe pepper johnson and jay ratliff we're used more in nickel packages as well

acheman

Reaction score
"I don't know where you got the idea that he is lazy in your head but i'd do more research on a player before I started saying things about him that are tottally untrue."

Catch17
Come back off the ledge dude. Where did I call him lazy? I just pointed out that part about putting on weight, due to laziness, as a reason Parcells ALLUDED to when he spoke about motivating the kid. I love Spears.
Fact one: between the combine and the draft he put on some weight. Fact two: Bill rode him from mini-camp until training camp to get that weight off of him. Fact three: Bill checked with Spears old coach Nick Saban to see how to MOTIVATE the kid.
Other than that bite me. I don't spew lies about players. I was just wondering if this could be a possible move in a year or two after Hatcher shows what he has, and after Ferguson is done here (I presume as it stands today Stanley to be the only viable NT we will have behind Ferg including fan favorite Pepper Johnson). I like going to the 4-3 with all these guys on the field at the same time, I like nickel situations where we could stay 3-4 and put Hatcher (or Ellis) at LDE, Spears at NT, and Canty at RDE. That sounds pretty formidable when you also have Ware at one OLB and now Carpenter or Thornton or Burnett at the other OLB spot on passing downs.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
acheman said:

Spears' problems where a little different from what you're saying.

He injured his knee his senior year against UGA. With that, he put on weight because he wasn't able to work out as much and wasn't watching his weight. He got up to 307 pounds. According to Saban and Parcells, Spears' ideal weight is 292 pounds, which he got it down to at training camp.

He then got injured in the first week of training camp and was barely active during then. He maintained his 292 lb weight. Why he struggled was due to learning the NFL game and the 3-4 scheme.

However, about week 10 or so on, he started playing really well according to my charts and I had him playing better than Canty at the end of the year.

I really believe if he stays healthy this year, he will surprise a lot of people He's got the size and strength to play 3-4 DE and DT in the 4-3/nickel. However, he can also be used as an edge rushing DE here and there in the 4-3. Most 3-4 DE's are not very effective when they have to do that.

I doubt he'll lead the team in sacks this year with Ware improving and Ellis taking his DE spot in the nickel. But I could see him having 3-5 sacks this year and being a disruptive force. I think he has a lot more upside than Canty, who I really like as well.

Rich.........

burmafrd

Reaction score
Canty actually has more quickness- so his upside is somewhat higher then Spears. That was noted before he was drafted. the only reason Canty fell was due to the injuries and some thought that he was someone who would get into trouble. The Injuries have healed and its now apparent there are no charactor issues.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Looking back at the NFL films edition of the Dallas/Philly game, Spears was a force in that contest. He appeared to be making good plays all over the field.