Woods' First Annual Mock Draft - Version 1.0

Woods

Reaction score
For now, I'm assuming NO trades on the Cowboys' behalf. (That said, I hope we do manage to trade down come draft day.)

Round 1
M. Lawson, OLB, No. Carolina State
I'll admit he is not as refined a product as other "true" OLB in this Draft; however, I think his ceiling is very high. I envision Lawson initially splitting snaps with Singleton, but as Lawson becomes more comfortable in his new role, he has the ability to take over and become an impact player.

Round 2
A. Whitworth, OT, LSU
Aggressive run blocker, and he's physical on the second level. 4-year starter.

Round 3
C. Griffin, Texas
Can play FS or CB, and his versatility can come in handy for the Cowboys in case of injuries, saving a roster space, etc.

Round 5
Brandon Marshall, WR, Central Florida
He's 6' 4" and weighs around 229 lbs. and runs about a 4.5 40. Interestingly, he also played 6 games as a FS as a junior and led the team in tackles - meaning he should be able to contribute on Special Teams as we groom him. "A standout during the week of practice and in the Hula Bowl game", according to Ourlands. His game is being compared to a young TO in terms of style, physical play, etc.

Round 6
Chris Kuper, OG, North Dakota
Only Guy Whimper and D. Colledge had better Combine workouts at the Guard position. (Also, the Cowboys have shown interest in Kuper.) Very coachable, tough, physical, and competitive. Moves easily to the second level, which is very important to BP and the coaching staff (see Kosier).

Round 7
Titus Adams, DT/NT, Nebraska
An inside run stuffer. Dominated inside players at the Hula Bowl. A lot of ability, but he needs to improve consistency. Could also be an emergency left end to stop the run. He played DE as a freshman. Again, his potential versatility could suit as well. He's 6' 3" and weighs 306 - seems like the size BP likes as well.

With this draft, I think we've adequately addressed youth on our OL, a playmaking LB to round out our current group, versatility in the secondary, a WR to groom (with significant upside) who can contribute on Special Teams as he learns, and a NT to rotate with Fergy.

Finally, I would expect at least 2 of these Day 1 rookies to start sometime this season (Lawson and Griffin).

Comments welcome!

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I like Whitworth, but I am beginning to think Dallas won't go that direction. Reminds me too much of the Stephen Peterman of tackles. I could see them going with a guy like Colledge. Could play guard or tackle and has that agility and mobility that the team seems to be searching for.

Love the Kuper pick. Might take him a year or two, but I think he'll be a player. Has a fiesty attitude. He is probably PO'ed he had to live in North Dakota the last 4 years. That would make anyone angry.

Hopefully Round 3 is about where Dallas decides to start looking free safety and I like what I have seen from Griffin.

Woods

Reaction score
junk said:
I like Whitworth, but I am beginning to think Dallas won't go that direction. Reminds me too much of the Stephen Peterman of tackles. I could see them going with a guy like Colledge. Could play guard or tackle and has that agility and mobility that the team seems to be searching for.

Love the Kuper pick. Might take him a year or two, but I think he'll be a player. Has a fiesty attitude. He is probably PO'ed he had to live in North Dakota the last 4 years. That would make anyone angry.

Hopefully Round 3 is about where Dallas decides to start looking free safety and I like what I have seen from Griffin.

Thanks Junk.

I couldn't decide whether to go with E. Winston, Whitworth, Spencer, or Colledge on the OL. Therefore, I figured if I got Kuper Day 2, I take a true OT Day 1.

The problem with Spencer was only 2 years of experience playing on the OL. As for Winston, I thought he was more athletic than most, but not quite as physical. I thought while Colledge was versatile, he seemed a bit light (under 300 lbs.).

Thanks for the feedback.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I expect the team to go Guard in the Second Round rather than tackle unless soemone exceptional slips. Given that the team has released Allen, Rivera's age, andf the uncertainty on if Peterman will ever contribute, I think guard is more of a priority over tackle.

And my choices would be Davin Joseph and Charles Spencer.