Words cannot possibly describe my feelings.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
My vocabulary fails me. I simply cannot find the words to describe the utter disgust I feel right now. Don't tell me about injuries. There is no excuse for the poor effort and undisciplined play the Cowboys put forth today. They quit on themselves, their coaches, and their owner...yet again. And I find myself wondering how much anyone at any level of the organization really cares.

The players seem content solely with their identities as professional athletes. They may enjoy winning, but it's nothing that would prompt them to give maximal effort.

I'm convinced that, in Wade's mind, he reached the pinnacle of his career the day he was hired as coach of the Cowboys. Any future accolades, such as winning in the playoffs, are mere embellishments, the proverbial extra frosting on the cake.

Jerry insists he wants to win, and I believe him...to a point. His desire apparently isn't strong enough to make him bring about the one change that is necessary to win consistently at a high level--a change requiring Jerry to do two things:

1) Relinquish all involvement in personnel decisions.

2) Hire a bona fide football GM.

In short, he must fire himself.

Many people are trumpeting the return of Tony Romo as the single element that will finally ignite this team. However, if last year taught us anything, it's this: There is no switch that can be flipped on and off at the whim of players and coaches. Winning isn't the product of a mood change. It isn't something a team does whenever it decides to. It's a habit that a team develops through endurance and repetition.

Furthermore, Tony Romo doesn't play defense. He doesn't instruct players in proper tackling technique. He doesn't even teach his own offensive linemen how to block. His return is not the magical elixir for the many things ailing this team. Answer me this: Which component of the team--which unit, which coach, which position--has played at a consistently high level this year, even when Romo was playing? And don't fool yourself: This team was struggling weeks before Romo was injured.

I'm completely baffled by this notion that Dallas will return all their players after the bye, storm into Washington, and emerge victorious. Have people forgotten that this same Washington team beat a healthy Dallas team at Texas Stadium?

Although the coaching is borderline incompetent at times and the players appear lackadaisical and undisciplined, they’re only symptoms of a larger organizational problem. The dysfunction within the Cowboys organization is systemic, and starts at the top with the GM/President/Owner.

On the Fox pre game show today, Curt Menafee suggested that some front offices around the league are basing their decisions on the opinions found on talk radio and Internet message boards. The suggestion seemed preposterous to me, but on the unlikely chance that it is true, I would like to send Jerry a message:

Your team hasn’t won a playoff game in over a decade (to say nothing about a Super Bowl). You’ve had 15 years to prove you’re capable of building a winner without Jimmy Johnson, and you have yet to do so. Therefore, if you really love this team as you claim to, if you truly want them to do well, you should hire a GM to handle all personnel decisions without any meddling from you other than your signature on the checks.

And if your pride deters you from hiring a real GM, you should simply sell the team.

notherbob

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2393962 said:
My vocabulary fails me. I simply cannot find the words to describe the utter disgust I feel right now. Don't tell me about injuries. There is no excuse for the poor effort and undisciplined play the Cowboys put forth today.

Answer me this: Which component of the team--which unit, which coach, which position--has played at a consistently high level this year, even when Romo was playing?

Although the coaching is borderline incompetent at times and the players appear lackadaisical and undisciplined, they’re only symptoms of a larger organizational problem. The dysfunction within the Cowboys organization is systemic, and starts at the top with the GM/President/Owner.

Actually, I thought the guys who run around squirting Gateraide into the players' mouths did a pretty good job.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
lane;2394047 said:
you typed what my drunk *** could not..

That's my role.

I'm the one sober voice coherently expressing the opinions of inebriated America.:)

shnagy

Reaction score
notherbob;2394054 said:
Actually, I thought the guys who run around squirting Gateraide into the players' mouths did a pretty good job.

These guys never get any credit!

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
notherbob;2394054 said:

I saw Brooks having to go to the Gatorade table himself, that is unacceptable. The mouth squirters failed him.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2394062 said:
That's my role.

I'm the one sober voice coherently expressing the opinions of inebriated America.:)

your sig pic is awesome.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I have an idea. It may be petty and serve no purpose other than my own visceral satisfaction, but please hear me out:

If the season continues in this downward plunge, perhaps we could start chanting "sell the team" at the next home game. Jerry might then realize that we fans know the real source of the team's problems.

Although it would probably do nothing, it would make me feel better. I demand placation, darn it! :)

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
You seem to be....

Wait, another wine and complain thread. Ignore button hit.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Bungarian;2394187 said:
You seem to be....

Wait, another wine and complain thread. Ignore button hit.

No whining. No complaining.

I'm merely sharing my opinion on the state of the organization. I make no claims of in depth insight or absolute veracity. If posters only shared positive opinions, this board would be a dull place.