News: Would a runner make sense for the Cowboys at No. 4?

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
If rb is a round 1 target I would roll the dice on a trade down. Not a fan of him at 4, but Elliott might be the safest pick in the draft though so I would probably get over it.

Lol, you would get over it after we get a first round bye and guys like jack Ramsey and bosa have next to no production in there first year.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
They mIght as well grab Miller or Martin for that type of money.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
perhaps....or perhaps not.....zeke doesn't rate as good as gurley

Well, I hear more and more draft experts and former players saying he's "special." I guess I'm finding it hard to differentiate between one kind of "special" and another, i.e., the kind of "special' Ezekiel Elliott is and the kind Todd Gurley is. Shrug.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well, I hear more and more draft experts and former players saying he's "special." I guess I'm finding it hard to differentiate between one kind of "special" and another, i.e., the kind of "special' Ezekiel Elliott is and the kind Todd Gurley is. Shrug.

still a RB at #4 is a mistake....even AP wouldn't go top 5 if draft was held today and he was coming out.... you need defense. our defense wasn't that good last year and it showed in the 4th quarter.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
still a RB at #4 is a mistake....even AP wouldn't go top 5 if draft was held today and he was coming out.... you need defense. our defense wasn't that good last year and it showed in the 4th quarter.

So if we address Defense in FA then it is ok to draft Elliott?

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Our defense might not have been great. But part of the reason is because our offense couldn't sustain drives or score.

I think the defense gets significantly better if Romo is healthy, and we have a back the caliber of Elliott.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Not only that, but you want your first round pick to be on your team 10 years from now. Sure most players will trail off at the 30 year old mark, but the drop off for RB's after 27 is frightening.

That is greedy about the 10 years and not true about the 27 years.

gmoney112

Reaction score
That is greedy about the 10 years and not true about the 27 years.

http://www.rotowire.com/football/showArticle.htm?id=17090

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/123542/inside-slant-running-back-cliff-after-age-27

And this uses 1800 carries as a barometer

https://m.numberfire.com/nfl/news/4...k-longevity-falling-off-the-1-800-carry-cliff

My reasoning remains the same, if you can be outperformed by a 3rd rounder in 5-6 years, I'm not taking you in the first round. Especially not top 10. First round picks are for franchise players

waving monkey

Reaction score
Henry would be that option in the second that gives you those tough yards.
But he was used hard in college.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
http://www.rotowire.com/football/showArticle.htm?id=17090

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/123542/inside-slant-running-back-cliff-after-age-27

And this uses 1800 carries as a barometer

https://m.numberfire.com/nfl/news/4...k-longevity-falling-off-the-1-800-carry-cliff

My reasoning remains the same, if you can be outperformed by a 3rd rounder in 5-6 years, I'm not taking you in the first round. Especially not top 10. First round picks are for franchise players

I'll give you 30 years old but 27 just isn't true for the top backs

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
If the good QB's are gone trading down for Zeke is cool..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So if we address Defense in FA then it is ok to draft Elliott?

first I think that's hypothetical. who is available? and what can they do at this stage of their careers. we have a need at LB, Safety, CB, DE, DT. but I still don't think it is. you can still get an impact defensive player like ramsey or you can get one of the QBs thinking of future. I just think you don't need to spend a top 5 on a RB... the best RB in the league was Peterson....and Minn was one and done. zeke is nothing close to Peterson....not even gurley was close to Peterson. doug martin...gurley both played for teams that didn't make the playoffs. so a RB is not a pre-requisite to make or succeed in the playoffs. McFadden was 4th!!!! and he didn't even start all of the games and we went 4-12.....Stewart from Carolina had less than 1000 yards......

I would rather spend on defense. have depth. have youth, as opposed to a top flight RB in the draft. I rather reach for a second tier RB in the 2nd, than reach with the first pick in the top 5.

I just don't think losing murray was cause of our problems. it was losing Romo, Dez and murray.....that was just too much to over come.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Our defense might not have been great. But part of the reason is because our offense couldn't sustain drives or score.

I think the defense gets significantly better if Romo is healthy, and we have a back the caliber of Elliott.

I don't disagree....I think other teams knew that our offense wasn't capable and all they needed was 20 pts.....and they didn't come to play us with aggressive offensive game plan.....when games were close and we needed the defense to step up and really make plays is when it showed our defense isn't really that good. we had the worst 4th quarter defense in the league. and it hadnothing to do with fatigue as TOP was pretty even...given the 4th quarter collapse its when we lost TOP in the 4th quarter.......its just that our defense wasn't really as good as its rankings...better than last year, but not as good as we thought they were

I think if Romo is healthy, it would mask a lot of what was wrong with this team. manning wasn't that great, but their defense was still able to hold up. Texans defense covered up a lot for their lack of offense...as opposed to Romo masking for defensive deficiencies.

Hardline

Reaction score
Other than Tunsil,Elliot is my favorite player in this draft. I won't complain if he is selected at #4 and neither will any of you when watching him tear up the league in rushing yards and touchdowns. Elliot would even improve the defense in the same way Murray did with his long time consuming scoring drives. Basically drafting Elliot is drafting for both sides of the ball.

Nirvana

Reaction score
I like the idea of having Elliot on this team. A trade-down would make sense though, not at 4.