Would be nice if RW could play and Wade would motivate and Stewart would try this

AKATheRake

Reaction score
The defense does need to step up and boy would it be nice for Roy Williams to come back with some grit/hunger. Not sure biscuit has it anymore though. I think we need more defensive sets on 2nd down like Canty/Ratliff/Hatcher with Ware/Ellis/Thomas/Spencer and Newman/Pac/Henry/Hamlin getting up in some WR's grill and jumping some routes. There you go Brian Stewart, on 2nd down because you never seem to guess right if the opponent is going to throw or pass here's an alignment that can help you make it more black and white. Whether you run or pass we'll be up in your grill and we'll have the personnel to stuff or attack. Wanna audible? I'm equipped. Brian Stewart does not offer this team much value in my opinion, not even as a DB coach. Very vanilla secondary and it is such a shame because we have dynamic cover players and grinders that can knock your teeth out in that secondary. All the ingredients as it stands. Motivate these guys.

I heard Wade say at halftime that a halftime motivational speech isn't the way to go, that these players need to motivate themselves. Yah, they should come motivated, but they should stay that way. Make em hungry Wade, Garret will get his side of the ball hungry, there is no doubt. Bengals depleted or not need a win, we need to come out blasting. We need to beat these weaker teams shameless like Brady/Pats would last year. We need to get that sick in the head. Giants in the post season were sick in the head. If you would listen to Strahan during the playoffs, heck listen to him on TV even now. He's still sick in the head and we need that. We need to get abusive after a loss like this if we really are the best.

Wade and this nice guy coaching will give us a very nice preseason record but an outright evil/cunning, abusive monster will give us the Superbowl. I'm not asking for Wades head, he is part of the solution but he needs to crack a whip because if we have a tough time in Cincy and we should because they are desperate, we may lose the swagger we had. I am not in anyway calling this the end of the season it isn't, I believe this is an opportunity and I think we should approach this with a defcom 5 offensive and defensive attack. The Commanders feared us and all we did is act nonchalant like we were just supposed to show up. Please just take the field goal so that we can get back to grinding down your defense. That's what I saw in the Commanders game. Get angry Wade and Garret, get very abusive this next game. We need to move forward in a dominating way. Lets start with beating on a desperate wimp on their turf.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
i'd like to see Roy come in on some of those blitzes that Henry and Newman have been coming in on where they are untouched.. the last couple years, they have really only blitzed Roy right up the middle to face a guard.. if he came free like Henry and Newman have been, he won't miss the sack, that's for sure..

AKATheRake

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;2298191 said:
i'd like to see Roy come in on some of those blitzes that Henry and Newman have been coming in on where they are untouched.. the last couple years, they have really only blitzed Roy right up the middle to face a guard.. if he came free like Henry and Newman have been, he won't miss the sack, that's for sure..

I totally agree and wasn't that supposed to be how they would implement him in the nickle and dime packages? You didn't see many of those packages against the skins though. They wen't in untouched cause they played bump coverage near the line at first, then passed the WR off to the LB's and safeties. Then, yes they got clean shots. What did you think of the personnel alignment?

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2298198 said:
I totally agree and wasn't that supposed to be how they would implement him in the nickle and dime packages? You didn't see many of those packages against the skins though. They wen't in untouched cause they played bump coverage near the line at first, then passed the WR off to the LB's and safeties. Then, yes they got clean shots. What did you think of the personnel alignment?
here's my thing.. if i had it my way, here's what we'd do:

play press coverage with our CBs.. disguise some blitzes and get more creative with rushing the QB.. and finally let Roy do what he does best-- stay in the box, punishing RBs and QBs.. we've talked about these things for years now, but we still aren't doing them! we have the talent, and we were supposed to have the coaches that would make it happen.. so why isn't it happening? we should try these things over the next few weeks while we have a cupcake schedule.. let the defense attack! let Roy attack!

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;2298191 said:

There were times last year when Roy blitzed from the outside, the offensive tackle slid out to block him and a defensive end or linebacker was left against a guard or unblocked for an easy sack or hurry.

I don't remember seeing Henry or Newman (or Nate Jones last year) being picked up by an offensive tackle. They usually let a running back pick them up, or just let them go and trust their quarterback either to get rid of the ball or evade guys. They don't usually do that when it's Roy.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2298210 said:
There were times last year when Roy blitzed from the outside, the offensive tackle slid out to block him and a defensive end or linebacker was left against a guard or unblocked for an easy sack or hurry.

I don't remember seeing Henry or Newman (or Nate Jones last year) being picked up by an offensive tackle. They usually let a running back pick them up, or just let them go and trust their quarterback either to get rid of the ball or evade guys. They don't usually do that when it's Roy.
that's actually a really good point and makes a lot of sense.. and i wish more people realized that, rather then just saying that Roy can't blitz anymore.. there's no way he can push past a 300+ pound lineman, but because of the offense's respect of Roy as a blitzer, he has freed other guys up to get the sack..

AKATheRake

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2298210 said:

You know what, that's a good thing that Roy is getting that kind of attention that the opponent has to dedicate an O-lineman to blocking him. We should be attacking with 5 if that's the case because someone on our D will win their 1 on 1 battle. You wanna block Roy that way, you're going to have to keep your RB in to block to help the other OL double Ware or are other Lineman. If not they get 1 on 1 matchups with enough men back covering. This is why I think RW is a good option in our Dime and Nickel packages. Eventhough everyone else doesn't. The coaches won't do it though and that's why I suggested the personnel previosuly. I'd take Ellis or Spencer out for Roy in that package come thrid down in a heart beat. He covers as good as any of our linebackers at least, if he had to 50% of the time in that package in an LB spot. My previous suggestion was more for the 2nd down where Stewart never seems to guess right whether the opposition is going to run or pass. This suggestion I think is great for third down. We need Roy's ablity to generate turnovers right now badly. Believe me, people want to whip him in coverage but WR's up the middle don't want him near them. His presence is still very much respected.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;2298203 said:
here's my thing.. if i had it my way, here's what we'd do:

play press coverage with our CBs.. disguise some blitzes and get more creative with rushing the QB.. and finally let Roy do what he does best-- stay in the box, punishing RBs and QBs.. we've talked about these things for years now, but we still aren't doing them! we have the talent, and we were supposed to have the coaches that would make it happen.. so why isn't it happening? we should try these things over the next few weeks while we have a cupcake schedule.. let the defense attack! let Roy attack!

I totally agree and share the same sentiment. I have no problem with us being aggressive all the way from the D-line to the secondary. We dictate on the front 7 but we don't in the secondary. We need to be abusive on all levels of our defense. We're not though. That's where I'm hoping RW can bring it back.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I think the loss of RW is clear and unless we can jump out to early leads on team it's going to become more and more evident.

khiladi

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2298072 said:
The defense does need to step up and boy would it be nice for Roy Williams to come back with some grit/hunger. Not sure biscuit has it anymore though. I think we need more defensive sets on 2nd down like Canty/Ratliff/Hatcher with Ware/Ellis/Thomas/Spencer and Newman/Pac/Henry/Hamlin getting up in some WR's grill and jumping some routes. There you go Brian Stewart, on 2nd down because you never seem to guess right if the opponent is going to throw or pass here's an alignment that can help you make it more black and white. Whether you run or pass we'll be up in your grill and we'll have the personnel to stuff or attack. Wanna audible? I'm equipped. Brian Stewart does not offer this team much value in my opinion, not even as a DB coach. Very vanilla secondary and it is such a shame because we have dynamic cover players and grinders that can knock your teeth out in that secondary. All the ingredients as it stands. Motivate these guys.

I heard Wade say at halftime that a halftime motivational speech isn't the way to go, that these players need to motivate themselves. Yah, they should come motivated, but they should stay that way. Make em hungry Wade, Garret will get his side of the ball hungry, there is no doubt. Bengals depleted or not need a win, we need to come out blasting. We need to beat these weaker teams shameless like Brady/Pats would last year. We need to get that sick in the head. Giants in the post season were sick in the head. If you would listen to Strahan during the playoffs, heck listen to him on TV even now. He's still sick in the head and we need that. We need to get abusive after a loss like this if we really are the best.

Wade and this nice guy coaching will give us a very nice preseason record but an outright evil/cunning, abusive monster will give us the Superbowl. I'm not asking for Wades head, he is part of the solution but he needs to crack a whip because if we have a tough time in Cincy and we should because they are desperate, we may lose the swagger we had. I am not in anyway calling this the end of the season it isn't, I believe this is an opportunity and I think we should approach this with a defcom 5 offensive and defensive attack. The Commanders feared us and all we did is act nonchalant like we were just supposed to show up. Please just take the field goal so that we can get back to grinding down your defense. That's what I saw in the Commanders game. Get angry Wade and Garret, get very abusive this next game. We need to move forward in a dominating way. Lets start with beating on a desperate wimp on their turf.

This team doesn't have any swagger to lose. If they had swagger, they wouldn't pick up their opponents during the game, after our defense just let up a touchdown.

Boysboy

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2298304 said:
I think the loss of RW is clear and unless we can jump out to early leads on team it's going to become more and more evident.

Good news is that he'll be back in a couple of weeks.