Would Mike Tice be a good Offensive Line Coach for us?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Hello Guys, with us promoting Tony Sparano Running Game Coordinator/Offensive Line coach to offensive coordinator I guess, what do you think about the Cowboys, especially Parcells and Jerry Jones going after Mike Tice as our new offensive line coach. He is great at coaching offensive lines, and being that his strenght, was well known how he would take and develop young offensive linemen. I was thinking since to me, it seems we are lacking at our coaches being able to draft good offensive lineman, take Jacob Rogers for example, that was Bill Parcells call, even our scouts warned him not to take him. Looks like that Stephen Peterman isnt doing good either, but I still have hopes, since he had ankle surgery this month. Peterman was an excellent offensive lineman at LSU. So, what is the problem, Parcells says that Peterman is only a one position player, yet at LSU best to my memory he played both guard positions and center a little, not sure if he played at tackle.
To me we need a good offensive line coach to teach our young offensive line players and groom them. Mike Tice is excellent at that, and best to my knowledge Tice coached for the Cowboys once with Tom Landry. Also, Parcells could use Tice's judgement on players coming out of college to draft too.
Next, I am not sure where Torrin Tucker goes, at offensive tackle or guard, he was all guard at college, seems like to me, he would be better at guard. If his head is in the ball game though. I did hear that sometime in December Bledsoe called him out for playing badly in one game, and Tucker shoved him. To me, thats what he needs to do, get mad during the offseason, work out and get in shape. Even Parcells called him out during the offseason. To me, that is some of the issue with our team too, attitude, desire. Main reason was thinking about Tucker at guard, (with our 2 all pro guards-Allen and Riveria at both 34, their not going to be around forever), everyone knows this year is super year for offensive tackles, probably be 2 good ones when we pick with the 18th pick, heard that either McNeil, Justice or Winston will be there, probably could even trade down to 20th to 24th spot and get a good player, even if go defense, about 22nd to 24th would be a good spot for Bobby Carpenter, excellent linebacker from Ohio St.
It seems like the players play when need too, but then when super big game comes up, boom, their flat, take for example the last game of season, our defense was playing good first quarter, but our offense was horrendous again.
Like everyone else, I do know we need a kicker, a kick returner or punt returner, a free safety-(must have), a offensive tackle and a center or Al Johnson goes into offseason weight room, gets about 20 pounds heavier, and benches alot more than he does now. Those are a must, plus another excellent OLB> then if you add in we lose Greg Ellis, maybe even LaGlover, we will need another DT or DE.
Yet, what really sticks out to me, is something Jerry Jones said, when asked what would he do before the draft in free agency, he stated something like offensive lineman, free safety and an impact offensive playmaker. Thats what really sticks out to me, there is no impact offensive playmaker on our team that teams really fear. I'm talking a guy like Terrel Owens, Chad Johnson, ex cowboy Micheal Irwin, a play maker.
So what do you guys think?

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
Did the Cowboys promote Sparano???
I would love for Tice to be here, I think he is a very good coach....
I would think that Tice would not allow himself to start all over as O-LIne coach...
Tice may even get another HC job...If not this year than next....
I feel , the only thing to hold him back from a HC spot is the off field stuff and by next year it will have been forgotten.. Some NFL owners have short memories..

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:
Hello Guys, with us promoting Tony Sparano Running Game Coordinator/Offensive Line coach to offensive coordinator I guess, what do you think about the Cowboys, especially Parcells and Jerry Jones going after Mike Tice as our new offensive line coach. He is great at coaching offensive lines, and being that his strenght, was well known how he would take and develop young offensive linemen. I was thinking since to me, it seems we are lacking at our coaches being able to draft good offensive lineman, take Jacob Rogers for example, that was Bill Parcells call, even our scouts warned him not to take him. Looks like that Stephen Peterman isnt doing good either, but I still have hopes, since he had ankle surgery this month. Peterman was an excellent offensive lineman at LSU. So, what is the problem, Parcells says that Peterman is only a one position player, yet at LSU best to my memory he played both guard positions and center a little, not sure if he played at tackle.
To me we need a good offensive line coach to teach our young offensive line players and groom them. Mike Tice is excellent at that, and best to my knowledge Tice coached for the Cowboys once with Tom Landry. Also, Parcells could use Tice's judgement on players coming out of college to draft too.
Next, I am not sure where Torrin Tucker goes, at offensive tackle or guard, he was all guard at college, seems like to me, he would be better at guard. If his head is in the ball game though. I did hear that sometime in December Bledsoe called him out for playing badly in one game, and Tucker shoved him. To me, thats what he needs to do, get mad during the offseason, work out and get in shape. Even Parcells called him out during the offseason. To me, that is some of the issue with our team too, attitude, desire. Main reason was thinking about Tucker at guard, (with our 2 all pro guards-Allen and Riveria at both 34, their not going to be around forever), everyone knows this year is super year for offensive tackles, probably be 2 good ones when we pick with the 18th pick, heard that either McNeil, Justice or Winston will be there, probably could even trade down to 20th to 24th spot and get a good player, even if go defense, about 22nd to 24th would be a good spot for Bobby Carpenter, excellent linebacker from Ohio St.
It seems like the players play when need too, but then when super big game comes up, boom, their flat, take for example the last game of season, our defense was playing good first quarter, but our offense was horrendous again.
Like everyone else, I do know we need a kicker, a kick returner or punt returner, a free safety-(must have), a offensive tackle and a center or Al Johnson goes into offseason weight room, gets about 20 pounds heavier, and benches alot more than he does now. Those are a must, plus another excellent OLB> then if you add in we lose Greg Ellis, maybe even LaGlover, we will need another DT or DE.
Yet, what really sticks out to me, is something Jerry Jones said, when asked what would he do before the draft in free agency, he stated something like offensive lineman, free safety and an impact offensive playmaker. Thats what really sticks out to me, there is no impact offensive playmaker on our team that teams really fear. I'm talking a guy like Terrel Owens, Chad Johnson, ex cowboy Micheal Irwin, a play maker.
So what do you guys think?

You need to name me one scenario where you figured out Tice is a great offensive line coach... Now I don't know where he coached offensive lines, but I know he was one in his playing days... I didn't think Minny was an offensive juggernaut so far as their OL either... In fact I thought they were underachievers... For all the bad press Tice received this last year (Love Boat 2005, SB ticket scalping) and being labeled pretty much a doofus, I don't see Tice coming to Dallas, I just don't

As far as losing a Greg Ellis or LaRoi Glover... I'd rather lose Ellis, he's undersized and never really been a sack the lights out of em kind of player. He's always solid, but not much more. I really liked what I saw from Jay Ratliff, our 7th rounder last year, Bill has had good success from drafting 7th round players for some reason... Troy Brown WR, Ryan Young RT, Patrick Crayton WR, Jay Ratliff 34DE...

Also, for the record... it's Michael Irvin, not Irwin...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboyjoe said:
Would Mike Tice be a good Offensive Line Coach for us?
I don't know the answer to that question. What I am wondering is why he would take a position as a O-line coach with any team. He isn't that desperate is he?

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Wasn't Tice a linebacker and is more defensive minded. Seems I remember Tice being defensive as a player, but I am not remembering a lot of things as they actually happened lately. Old age is a terrible thing.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I was wrong about him coaching with Tom Landry, but he was a TE for about 13 years, and he did develop offensive linemen at Minnesotta, its in the section below, also, some time this year, an article came out about how the Vikings developed good offensive linemen for the vikings, and that was due to Tice being a huge TE blocking, understanding those schemes and offensive linemen. What i was trying to lead up to, with Bill Parcells his track record with offensive linemen isnt too good, being his draft picks with the giants, of offensive lineman, and now with jacob rogers, maybe peterman. TO me though the problem with Peterman, if Parcells has one glaring fault it is his rushing players back too soon from injury, wanting them to play with pain, i am sure your aware of the issue with our cornerback this year, anthony henry, and his first year, parcells had Peterman go back out on a extra point play, after Peterman had destroyed a defensive lineman for a big run by our RB, Peterman was limping and signaled to come out, Parcells was livid. Peterman injured his knee best i remember on that extra point block.
so if you add that up, Parcells poor choices on offensive linemen, like choosing Jacob Rogers when the scouts almost stood up on the table and told him dont do it, take rogers, yet, parcells did, and we know what kind of player Jacob Rogers is, a cry baby band aid player, that just wants money, and not having to play with pain.
So, to me, if you have someone like Mike Tice, he can rejuivinate his coaching career in Dallas even if just for a year, coaching offensive lineman, maybe helping out with drafting of offensive lineman for Parcells. To that point I point to Maurice Caurthon, he is the guy that found the jets running back curtis martin, then several years ago, parcells told him he wanted another ****y running back, maurice mentioned # 21 jones, time will tell how good he is. So, thats what i am getting at, get a good coach in here that can help find good offensive linemen, teach them too, techniques, etc, and help draft a few good offensive linemen.
Reason why is now the year to do it, there will be probably at least 5-8 offensive tackles to go in the first round, maybe one guard, then there are good enough ones to be had still in the 2nd and 3rd round, i am talking good offensive tackles. The strength of the draft I am told is at linebacker, then offensive tackles, guards, a few centers, then safeties, God, knows we need a good free safety. So, to me, you do that, maybe like Synder has done with the Commanders with paying williams defensive coordinator, and hiring of saunders at least 2 million a year, to me, you can get a good offensive minded coach to help our offensive linemen, maybe find a gem at wr too.

Biography:
Mike Tice became the sixth head coach in the Minnesota Vikings' 44-year history on January 10, 2002. Tice has been associated with the Vikings since 1992. He played tight end from 1992-93 and 1995, coached the tight ends in 1996 and the offensive line from 1997-2001. Tice added the title of Assistant Head Coach for the 2001 season. Tice is the first Vikings head coach to have played for the team. He enters his 24th season in the NFL in 2005, spending 14 as a player and 10 in the coaching ranks.

In his 23 years being associated with the NFL, Tice has been a part of 17 winning seasons and qualified for the playoffs 12 times. In his nine seasons as an assistant and head coach with the Vikings, the team has compiled a 82-62 (.569) record, has made the playoffs six times, had six winning seasons, advanced in the playoffs five times and played in the NFC Championship Game twice. As head coach he has won the Staples Coach of the Week Award twice (at New Orleans, 12/15/02 and at Green Bay, 9/7/03), earning $10,000 in supplies for local schools.

In 2004 Tice led the Vikings to their first road playoff victory since the 1997 season when they defeated their archrival Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field in convincing fashion 31-17. Tice joined Jerry Burns as the only coaches in team history to win their playoff debuts. Second-year defensive tackle Kevin Williams was selected to the Pro Bowl and was also named first team All-Pro. Also selected to the Pro Bowl were Matt Birk and Daunte Culpepper who broke virtually every Vikings' passing record and had one of the finest seasons in NFL history by a quarterback. The Vikings set a team record for net yards gained (6,339), passing yards (4,754) and set an NFL for consecutive games with over 300 yards of offense (2002-04) with 36. The Vikings 50 touchdowns were the third most in team history.

In his second season as head coach in 2003, Tice led the Vikings to their first winning season since 2000. The Vikings six straight wins to start the season combined with three wins to finish the 2002 season marked the fourth longest (9 wins) winning streak in team history. The Vikings led the NFL in offense for the first time in their history and set a team record for yards with 6,294. The Vikings scored 416 points, the second best total in team history. The Vikings sent four players to the Pro Bowl including first-time starter Corey Chavous and starters Matt Birk and Daunte Culpepper. The Vikings 2003 draft class featured all-rookie choices Kevin Williams and Onterrio Smith. The Vikings defense led the NFC (and second in the NFL) in interceptions with 28. The squad defeated four teams (Green Bay, Seattle, Kansas City and Denver) that qualified for the playoffs. The Vikings also finished second in the NFC in turnover ratio (+11).

In his first season as head coach in 2002, Tice led the team to three straight victories to end the season on a high note. It was only the seventh time in the team's history that they had won at least their last three contests. Two of the last three wins helped knock the New Orleans Saints and the Miami Dolphins out of the playoffs. The Vikings became the first team in NFL history to win a game on a two-point conversion (vs. New Orleans 32-31). The Vikings offense was second in the NFL, only trailing the Super Bowl runner-up Oakland Raiders (6,237 to 6,192 yards). The Vikings led the NFL in rushing (2,507 yards) for the first time ever and set team records for rushing touchdowns (26), yards per carry (5.3) and first downs (350). Randy Moss had a then career-high 106 catches while Michael Bennett rushed for 1,296 yards, the second highest total in team history. Both players earned berths in the Pro Bowl.

In five seasons coaching the Vikings offensive line, Mike Tice guided five different players (Birk, Jeff Christy, Randall McDaniel, Todd Steussie, Korey Stringer) to 10 Pro Bowl appearances.

In 2001, the offensive line had five different starting lineups due to injury. Center Matt Birk made the Pro Bowl for the second consecutive year. Tice also was made the interim head coach for the team's regular season finale at the Baltimore Ravens. Rookie running back Michael Bennett's 682 yards rushing were the third most in team history by a Vikings rookie.

In 2000, Tice oversaw the development of Birk at the center position. Prior to the 2000 season Birk had never started a game or played center and by the end of the year he was named to the Pro Bowl. Also named to the Pro Bowl for the first time was right tackle Stringer. The offensive line helped Robert Smith break numerous team records including most rushing yards in a season (1,521) and most 100-yard games in a season (8). Smith also became the first Vikings running back to have four consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons. The offensive line gave Daunte Culpepper enough time to throw for 3,937 yards and 33 touchdowns in his first year at the helm. Culpepper also set team season records for a quarterback for rushing yards (470) and rushing touchdowns (7).

In 1999, the offensive line made room for Smith to break a team mark for rushing yards (140) in a playoff game (vs. Dallas 1/9/00 ). Leroy Hoard led the club in rushing touchdowns with a career-high 10. With Hoard's 555 yards rushing, it was the first time since 1991 the Vikings had two backs go over the 500-yard mark. The Vikings offense finished the 1999 campaign ranked third in the NFL in total offense.

In ?98, the offensive line paved the way for numerous NFL and Vikings records, including a League record for points scored in a season (556), and also set an NFL record for touchdown passes (41). The '98 team set Vikings records for total yards (6,264, broken in 2003) and fewest sacks allowed in a 16-game season (25). The offensive line cleared the way for Smith to top the 1,000-yard mark for the second consecutive season with 1,187 yards on the ground. The Vikings rushed for over 100 yards in 13-of-the-18 games, including playoffs, and broke the 150-yard barrier in five contests. Three of the five starting offensive linemen (Steussie, Christy, McDaniel) in the 1999 Pro Bowl were Vikings. They became the first Vikings trio of offensive linemen ever selected to the Pro Bowl, let alone to start in the game.

In his first year coaching the offensive line in ?97, Tice guided an offensive line that sent two starters to the ?98 Pro Bowl, McDaniel and Steussie. The offensive line also enabled Smith to break the team record at the time for rushing yards in a season with 1,266. The Vikings offensive line was a big factor in the squad gaining a first down on 18-of-19 carries on third or fourth down with less than three yards to go in ?97.

In ?96, in addition to his duties as the Vikings tight ends coach, Tice conducted some drills with the offensive tackles during practices. Tice was instrumental in ?96 in the development of rookie tight end Hunter Goodwin, who started the season's last six games when Minnesota went 4-2 to capture a playoff berth.

During his 14 seasons in the National Football League not only did Tice catch 107 passes for 894 yards and 11 touchdowns, but he helped block for backs that rushed for over 1,000 yards in a season 5 times, including ?92, when Terry Allen set a then Vikings season record with 1,201 yards, and ?83, when Seattle's Curt Warner led the AFC with 1,449 yards.

The 6-foot, 8-inch Tice joined Minnesota's coaching staff in ?96 after playing 3 seasons with the Vikings (1992-93, 1995), 10 years with Seattle (1981-88, 1990-91) and a season (1989) with Washington. He started in 109-of-the-177 NFL games he played. In 2002, Tice was named the TE on Seattle's all-time team by Football News.

In ?95 Tice re-signed with the Vikings on December 7 after injuries depleted the team's tight end corps. He played in the final 3 games, including a start in the regular-season finale at Cincinnati (12/24), where he caught three passes for 22 yards. Tice originally retired following the ?93 season. Tice started 11 games in ?93, when he caught 6 passes for 39 yards. In ?92, Tice caught a career-long 34-yard touchdown pass in the final regular-season game against Green Bay (12/27).

With Seattle in ?91, Tice caught a career-high 4 TDs to become the first TE in Seahawks history to lead the team in scoring receptions. In ?90, Tice was released by Washington on the final cut of preseason then signed by Seattle on November 28. In ?89, Tice signed with the Commanders as a Plan B free agent after catching 58 passes and starting 43-of-44 games for Seattle between ?86 and ?88. He posted a career-high 29 receptions for 244 yards in 16 starts in ?88. In only 8 starts in ?84, Tice caught 3 TDs to set a Seattle season record for scoring receptions by a TE. In ?83, Tice helped the Seahawks advance to the AFC Championship Game, their best finish ever. Originally signed as a free agent quarterback by Seattle in ?81, Tice switched to TE his rookie year. Tice played under head coach Chuck Knox in his final 8 seasons in Seattle.

As a 2-year starter at QB at Maryland , Tice completed 71-of-140 passes for 928 yards with five touchdowns as a senior in ?80. He threw for 896 yards and 5 touchdowns as a junior. When Tice was a senior his backup was future NFL All-Pro Boomer Esiason.

During his first three seasons as head coach Tice had a weekly TV and radio show. On TV he joined Joe Schmit on "Sportswrap with Mike Tice" on KSTP-TV and paired with former Star Tribune columnist Dan Barreiro for "Mike Tice Live" on Vikings radio flagship KFAN-AM and the Vikings Radio Network throughout the Upper Midwest.

In 2004, Tice was invited by the NFL to address the annual Rookie Symposium, addressing the incoming NFL players about life in pro football.

Tice is extremely involved in the local community and with numerous charities. Tice serves as Honorary Head Coach for Special Olympics Minnesota. Mike, through the Viking Children's Fund, heads up the Tice Academic Team which provides post-secondary scholarships for area youth who demonstrate strong leadership skills. He initiated a player fine fund program "Fine Money for Fine Causes" which distributes the proceeds to area charities. Heading into the 2005 season the program has raised over $100,000 during Mike's tenure as head coach. In 2004 Mike was one of the hosts of a Christmas party for the needy at Winter Park that featured all the players and coaches. Mike joined his wife, Diane, and the Vikings Coaches Wives in supporting the Ronald McDonald House during the 2003 season. Tice continues his commitment to youth coaching through his own Tice Brothers summer football camp, Mike Tice/United Way Youth Football Day and his annual National Football Foundation Youth Coaches Clinic at Winter Park . Among the organizations Mike has volunteered with include: American Cancer Society, Boy Scouts of American, Children's Miracle Network, African American Adoption Agency, St. Joseph's Home for Children, Gridiron Geography, St. Paul Public Schools--Principal for a Day, Play it Smart, The HIKE Foundation, Salvation Army/Nordstrom Holiday Giving Tree, Epilepsy Foundation of Minnesota, ARC Hennepin-Carver, The Church of St. Stephen, The Tyesha Edwards Peace Project, Edina Football Youth Foundation, Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure and Mentoring Partnerships of Minnesota. In 2004 Tice served as grand marshal of the St. Patrick's Day parade in St. Paul.

Michael Peter Tice was born in Bayshore, N.Y. (2/2/59) and attended Central Islip High School in Long Island where he played under former Vikings defensive coordinator and current Central Florida head coach George O'Leary. He lettered in football, basketball and lacrosse. He was the recipient of the Byron "Whizzer" White Humanitarian Award in 1987. His brother, John, was a tight end at Maryland and played for the New Orleans Saints from 1983-92. John is currently the Vikings' tight end/assistant offensive line coach, making Mike and John the first brothers to ever coach with the Vikings. Mike and wife Diane have two children, Adrienne (8/4/87) and Nathan (7/28/89).

Information of past play experience:
Maryland 1977-80
Seattle Seahawks 1981-88,90-91
Washington Commanders 1989
Minnesota Vikings 1992-93,95.