Would ratliff be dominant in a 4-3?

Reaction score
Im just wondering since ratliff has been superb at nose tackle this year for us, wouldnt he be even better in a 4-3. I dont want to make this a whole 4-3 vs 3-4 thread since we got enough of those, im just wondering if you guys agree that ratliff would be one of the best dt's in the league if he was in a 4-3 thanks. GO BOYS!!!

couchscout

Reaction score
Rat would be a monster in a 4-3, especially an attacking style 4-3 where he is asked to get penetration rather than tie up blockers for the LBs to make plays. He would also be very effective in a zone blitz based defense like what Dom Capers does. When you have a NT/DT that can move like he can, you can get very creative with play design.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
pretty much the same, he isn't asked to tie up blockers like he would be in a parcells' 3-4.

3-4 or 4-3, you still rush comparable numbers of guys, you just call the rush DEs LBs and ask them to drop back into coverage at times. I see 4-3 teams do that too with their DEs.

Its not all that different really. Rat is pretty lucky to have a guy like Ellis or Ware coming off the edge.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Rat has proven with his strength, quickness, toughness, and agility.....he would be successful either place.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
What would make Rat better would be what Dallas lacks on the DL, a true fire breathing, 6' 5", 385lb, 4.6 forty running, 85 reps of 225 lb on the bench nose tackle. With the agility of an ocelot.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
aardvark;2305210 said:
What would make Rat better would be what Dallas lacks on the DL, a true fire breathing, 6' 5", 385lb, 4.6 forty running, 85 reps of 225 lb on the bench nose tackle. With the agility of an ocelot.

I made one of those guys on madden, now that guy dominates

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
stealth;2305143 said:
I hope we stay a 3-4 team for the rest of my life.

The 3-4 has ben proven to be easier to run on. Hell, in the 90's we used to LOVE playing the 3-4 teams. Our O-line looked forward to blocking this style of defense.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
stealth;2305214 said:
I made one of those guys on madden, now that guy dominates

:lmao:

anything helps to pass the time after a Cowboys loss... this next game can't get here fast enough

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan;2305219 said:
The 3-4 has ben proven to be easier to run on. Hell, in the 90's we used to LOVE playing the 3-4 teams. Our O-line looked forward to blocking this style of defense.

I am almost positive that the 3-4 is intended to stop the run more so than a 4-3.

I see the 3-4 as being much more versatile than the 4-3.

SlwSVT

Reaction score
Ratliff is going to be very good in any defense he plays in. IMO I think he has been our best D player so far. Yes, Ware has the sack numbers, but Ratliff wreaks havoc consistently thruout the entire game. And he rotates quite a bit out due to the taxing he takes.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I don't know if he would or wouldn't. I'd have to see him in it.

I don't agree though that they should scrap the 3-4 if Garrett were to take over next year. You can't just scrap it, IMO, cause you've spent the last few years drafting specifically for a 3-4.

I love Ware, on the outside, in the 3-4 but I'm not sure if he'd be nearly as effective at DE, on the line, tacking on the tackle in that way all game long with only 260-265 pounds on his frame.

I mean I know it's done, lighter DE's, but I'd be a little worried there. Of course I could be totally wrong and the guys we have right now might plug right into a 4-3 and do just fine.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2305343 said:
I don't know if he would or wouldn't. I'd have to see him in it.

I don't agree though that they should scrap the 3-4 if Garrett were to take over next year. You can't just scrap it, IMO, cause you've spent the last few years drafting specifically for a 3-4.

I love Ware, on the outside, in the 3-4 but I'm not sure if he'd be nearly as effective at DE, on the line, tacking on the tackle in that way all game long with only 260-265 pounds on his frame.

I mean I know it's done, lighter DE's, but I'd be a little worried there. Of course I could be totally wrong and the guys we have right now might plug right into a 4-3 and do just fine.

I think he could be just fine... Heck Jason Taylor was a 245 lb defensive end when he started playing on the Dolphins DL for Jimmy back in the late 90s and he has had a stellar career... That was a 4-3 I believe. Also, Taylor is just a few years removed from an 18 sack season with an NFL defensive MVP to boot... A 4-3 doesn't always have to rush the end every single down when you have a good defense.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
I'd say La'roi Glover like, just a bit stronger and bigger.

Plumfool

Reaction score
Rat would be fine whatever postion or whatever defense the BOYS played.

That a grown man