Would you draft a RB in the first round if

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
If you don't like to live in a far-fetched fantasy world, this isn't the thread for you. But me and buddy had a good time kicking the idea around.

Assume:
Your favorite RB in the 2017 draft class gets the La'el Collins treatment, due to off-the-field speculation. He tells teams not to draft him outside of the top 10, or he'll sit out and re-enter the following draft. His agent calls, however, and says he's willing to play for the Cowboys, if they draft him in the first round. Trading the player would strain relationships with the agent and potentially others.

In other words: Would you draft your favorite RB late in the first round if you couldn't trade him?

For me, it's Fournette and the answer is yes.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No way am I spending a 1st rounder on a guy with off field issues who wouldnt even be my starter. Too many other needs.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
No way am I spending a 1st rounder on a guy with off field issues who wouldnt even be my starter. Too many other needs.

Did you read the OP? The off-field issues wouldn't actually exist--just like Collins. We're talking about an elite prospect at RB or a borderline 2nd rounder at another position.

EDIT: Reading it again myself, I wasn't as clear as I intended to be (sorry). The off-the-field stuff wouldn't actually come to fruition.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Did you read the OP? The off-field issues wouldn't actually exist--just like Collins. We're talking about an elite prospect at RB or a borderline 2nd rounder at another position.

EDIT: Reading it again myself, I wasn't as clear as I intended to be (sorry). The off-the-field stuff wouldn't actually come to fruition.
In that case I would at least entertain the idea. If I had a similar grade on a DE, LB, CB, WR, or OT i'm still going there before a RB though.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Explain to me why he wouldn't want anyone outside of the top 10 drafting him, but is ok with the Cowboys at 32? Collins didn't want to get drafted after a certain point(3rd or 4th Rd) because they don't get paid jack and have a year longer than CFA of control on that crap pay. If a team is willing to draft him anywhere in the first, it makes no sense to pass that up as Collins would have happily taken. Also, it was established that Collins couldn't re-enter the draft the following year anyways and several teams nearly called his bluff, but couldn't get past the reports. The situations that you're comparing really aren't all that similar.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Explain to me why he wouldn't want anyone outside of the top 10 drafting him, but is ok with the Cowboys at 32? Collins didn't want to get drafted after a certain point(3rd or 4th Rd) because they don't get paid jack and have a year longer than CFA of control on that crap pay. If a team is willing to draft him anywhere in the first, it makes no sense to pass that up as Collins would have happily taken. Also, it was established that Collins couldn't re-enter the draft the following year anyways and several teams nearly called his bluff, but couldn't get past the reports. The situations that you're comparing really aren't all that similar.

Ignore the hypotheticals then. They were only my attempt to frame the question. Would you take the top RB over a late first round prospect at another position? Pick your current favorite prospect in the 30-32 range--would you take him over Fournette or Cook?

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Ignore the hypotheticals then. They were only my attempt to frame the question. Would you take the top RB over a late first round prospect at another position? Pick your current favorite prospect in the 30-32 range--would you take him over Fournette or Cook?
I would probably take the top 5 talent if there's no reason not to. At that point the value is too good to pass up despite the lack of a need.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I have a RB rated as top 5 and he falls to 32, then yes I would consider drafting him. It would obviously depend on who else was available. If I had a DE ranked 11th and a RB ranked 5th and both were available, then I probably take the DE; however, if you keep widening the gap (RB ranked higher or DE ranked lower) at some point the RB becomes the pick over the DE.

I would not make any deals either on paper or verbally with an agent in terms of not trading a player.

In reality, a guy like Fournette is likely to have the Cowboys as his least favorite destination because he would have to split carries with Zeke. If both were on the team, neither one is going to get 90% of the carries. Even if Fournette thought he would get more than Zeke, he still has to know that his total carries will be limited until one of them gets traded.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The only RB I'd spend a premium pick on is McCaffery because he brings a totally different skill set. But he'll be gone before 27 or so, which is the earliest we could pick (barring a trade).

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Nope. Judging by that hypothetical scenario, this RB sounds like he could be a headcase/diva and not very smart.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If you don't like to live in a far-fetched fantasy world, this isn't the thread for you. But me and buddy had a good time kicking the idea around.

Assume:
Your favorite RB in the 2017 draft class gets the La'el Collins treatment, due to off-the-field speculation. He tells teams not to draft him outside of the top 10, or he'll sit out and re-enter the following draft. His agent calls, however, and says he's willing to play for the Cowboys, if they draft him in the first round. Trading the player would strain relationships with the agent and potentially others.

In other words: Would you draft your favorite RB late in the first round if you couldn't trade him?

For me, it's Fournette and the answer is yes.

Either Fournette or Cook and the answer is a resounding HECK YEAH!!!!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The only RB I'd spend a premium pick on is McCaffery because he brings a totally different skill set. But he'll be gone before 27 or so, which is the earliest we could pick (barring a trade).
Cook has the same skill set doesn't he? He can be used as a receiver out of the backfield. And he's probably faster than McCaffery too.

Verdict

Reaction score
If you can draft another Zeke late in the first then the fact he is a running back should not preclude selecting him IF he is clearly the best player on your board.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
sinus-headache.jpg