Would you take Jeff Demps with the 7th rd pick

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jeff Demps has choosen to forgo football and pursue a run at the 2012 Olympic.

Considering the low success rate of 7th rd picks would you take Demps so that you own his rights should he choose to return to football after the 2012 games?

Wulfman

Unofficial GM
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4519666 said:
Jeff Demps has choosen to forgo football and pursue a run at the 2012 Olympic.

Considering the low success rate of 7th rd picks would you take Demps so that you own his rights should he choose to return to football after the 2012 games?

Nope. My understanding it that his commitment is not just to trying to make the Olympics in 2012, but to making the team and pursuing it full-time, including subsequent Olympic teams as well. He could certainly change his mind if he doesn't make it this year, but it doesn't sound that way right now.

I'd rather take a flyer on a guy that is committed to playing football, even in the 7th round. If they want Demps to know that they're interested, all they have to do is contact him and say, "If you decide to pursue the NFL, give us a call."

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Wulfman;4519752 said:
Nope. My understanding it that his commitment is not just to trying to make the Olympics in 2012, but to making the team and pursuing it full-time, including subsequent Olympic teams as well. He could certainly change his mind if he doesn't make it this year, but it doesn't sound that way right now.

I'd rather take a flyer on a guy that is committed to playing football, even in the 7th round. If they want Demps to know that they're interested, all they have to do is contact him and say, "If you decide to pursue the NFL, give us a call."

Fair enough. I know the Cowboys have done this with late rd picks in the past. Chad Henning was unsure about having a football career but 4 years later after being drafted with the 11th rd pick he left the Air Force to join the Cowboys.

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4519775 said:
Fair enough. I know the Cowboys have done this with late rd picks in the past. Chad Henning was unsure about having a football career but 4 years later after being drafted with the 11th rd pick he left the Air Force to join the Cowboys.

And that is why we can't do it now. We just don't have as deep of a draft anymore.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jswalker1981;4519821 said:
And that is why we can't do it now. We just don't have as deep of a draft anymore.

and 7th rd picks do not pan out very often. Myself I would take a flyer with a 7th rd pick to hold his rights if he does not play ever fine but I don't consider 7th rd picks as sure things to begin with. Given Demps talent I would just as soon retain his rights

Wulfman

Unofficial GM
Reaction score
jswalker1981;4519821 said:

Yup. If the draft was still 12 rounds deep--and unlike a lot of people, I really wish is still was--then I'd easily take a flyer in the 10th-12th round on the guy just based on his world class speed and the fact that he is not a track guy trying to play football...he is a football player with track speed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
JackWagon;4519890 said:
Demps == Eric Metcalf starter kit

Metcalf managed to stay in the league 13 years producing 31 rushing TD, 12 rec TD 2 KR TD and 10 PR TD

Tell me I will get that from a 7th rd pick and I'll take it no question asked.

JackWagon

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4519907 said:
Metcalf managed to stay in the league 13 years producing 31 rushing TD, 12 rec TD 2 KR TD and 10 PR TD

Tell me I will get that from a 7th rd pick and I'll take it no question asked.

He is an UDFA for us. We have too many holes to fill on d to draft a kick returner. I would prefer to take a chance on an iffy DLineman in round 7 than pick Demps.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
JackWagon;4519917 said:
He is an UDFA for us. We have too many holes to fill on d to draft a kick returner. I would prefer to take a chance on an iffy DLineman in round 7 than pick Demps.

I respect you view I just disagree when I see the failure rate of 7th rd pick. My take is I would take the chance on Demps who has real talent. I'm not telling anyone they are wrong just asking peoples opinion

robert70x7

Reaction score
I'm surprised Jeff Demps went the track route. He'd make a lot more money playing football despite being a late round pick. The US is full of 100 meter runners and there isn't even a guarantee he'll make the team.

Robert Griffin III on the other hand would have been the biggest star in USA Track and Field if he would have stuck with running. He is/was a better 400 hurdler than quarterback and I have no doubt in my mind he could have one day broken the world record.

JackWagon

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4519924 said:
I respect you view I just disagree when I see the failure rate of 7th rd pick. My take is I would take the chance on Demps who has real talent. I'm not telling anyone they are wrong just asking peoples opinion

Thats cool ... i just look at the Dline and secondary we trotted out there last year and realize we only have a finite amount of picks (what 9 picks?) in the draft. I just think that Dez bryant should be our kick returner. He doesnt have to learn any plays or alignments or defenseive reads (which he has shown to not be able to do)... just catch the ball and run.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
JackWagon;4519930 said:
Thats cool ... i just look at the Dline and secondary we trotted out there last year and realize we only have a finite amount of picks (what 9 picks?) in the draft. I just think that Dez bryant should be our kick returner. He doesnt have to learn any plays or alignments or defenseive reads (which he has shown to not be able to do)... just catch the ball and run.

I don't disagree I just don't see a 7th rd pick as the solution. We have 5 picks in the 1st 4 rds including 2 4th rd picks this is where we have to hit on players.

As for Demps I see a guy who is a very good utility player with great speed and has shown big playmaking ability both on offense and special teams.

As far as Dez on special team like you I have no problem with it but it does not change the fact that I would just as soon take a flyer on Demps in the 7th and retain his rights should things not work out in his track pursuits

JackWagon

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4519940 said:
I don't disagree I just don't see a 7th rd pick as the solution. We have 5 picks in the 1st 4 rds including 2 4th rd picks this is where we have to hit on players.

As for Demps I see a guy who is a very good utility player with great speed and has shown big playmaking ability both on offense and special teams.

As far as Dez on special team like you I have no problem with it but it does not change the fact that I would just as soon take a flyer on Demps in the 7th and retain his rights should things not work out in his track pursuits

I wouldnt throw a hissy fit if they did draft Demps. I just dont think they should at this point. If they really like him what the heck draft him late.

Wulfman

Unofficial GM
Reaction score
JackWagon;4520114 said:
I wouldnt throw a hissy fit if they did draft Demps. I just dont think they should at this point. If they really like him what the heck draft him late.

Just because of your sig, I hope the Cowboys draft Nate Potter. :laugh1: