WR A.J. Green credits his love of juggling for superior hand-eye coordination.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
click for rest of story here
701521020.jpg

The Bulldogs receivers coach this offseason challenged the 6-foot-4, 212-pound Green to learn more of the offense, to become more mobile as a receiver by studying defenses from the inside receiver position to "broaden his knowledge base."

Offensive coordinator Mike Bobo says Georgia coaches constantly ask themselves going into practices and games: How do we get the ball to A.J. in this set?

"They're moving me around a lot," said Green, who already was a household name to Georgia fans when he was a big-time recruit at Summerville (S.C.) High School. "This is my third year, so I know the offense pretty well. They can stick me anywhere without even telling me."

Added Bobo: "He played two different spots (as a sophomore), where his freshman year he only played one, and now, going into his third year, he'll be able to play three, maybe possibly four spots on the field at receiver, which will help."

Green is third among active receivers in the FBS in receiving yards per game (77.0) and fourth in receiving yards per catch (16.2).

His hand-eye coordination developed early, he said, when he was on a school "juggling team" as a third grader.

"I can juggle like everything: pins, bowling pins, whatever," said Green, who also began riding a unicycle in elementary school.

The problem for the Bulldogs is they haven't had Green catching passes on the field as much as they would like. He separated a shoulder in the first half of a Nov. 14 game against Auburn last season and then missed the Kentucky and Georgia Tech games. He sat out the Tennessee Tech game after bruising a lung against Florida. As a freshman, Green was slowed by a groin injury.

"I think he's got a burning desire to stay healthy this year and he's really worked hard," Bobo said. "He hasn't played a full season for us yet."

Green has 109 catches for 1,772 yards and 14 touchdowns in his career. He enters his third season with his third different starting quarterback, this time redshirt freshman Aaron Murray.