WR Breakdown from the Dark Side

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Interesting video with Greg Cosell.
Makes me really hope we get Pierce or Shakir in the 3rd round.
Also, a good year to need a #2 TE
Interesting breakdown of tier 2 WRs and TE class.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting video with Greg Cosell.
Makes me really hope we get Pierce or Shakir in the 3rd round.
Also, a good year to need a #2 TE
Interesting breakdown of tier 2 WRs and TE class.

Most TE's don't do squat as rookies. We need a guy who can catch and block b/c Dalton Shultz is about to get priced out of our league. So, we are looking for a #1 TE who can takeover in 2023. Jarwin is fine as #2.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Most TE's don't do squat as rookies. We need a guy who can catch and block b/c Dalton Shultz is about to get priced out of our league. So, we are looking for a #1 TE who can takeover in 2023. Jarwin is fine as #2.

Well, I think you are right about the first part. The Cowboys are looking for a TE that can take over for Schultz in 2023. The Jarwin part is inaccurate. He was released. This rookie will likely have to be TE #2. Maybe McKeon? Sprinkle is a decent blocking TE.

morasp

Reaction score
My biggest takeaway "Shakir can contribute year one".

Overview
A coach's dream, combining competitive nature, exciting versatility and elite character on and off the field. For a short-armed player with average explosiveness, Shakir puts an emphatic stamp on games. He's more football player than prototypical slot receiver and needs to prove he can handle an increase in contested catches. He can be activated from a variety of alignments with the vision, wiggle and toughness to move the chains once the ball is in his hands. He finds a way to frequently show up on the notepad when watching tape and his will to outperform the guy across from him should not be overlooked. Shakir should become a valuable piece for a creative play-caller.
Strengths
  • High-character player.
  • Voracious competitive spirit and vastly versatile.
  • Receiver used on direct snaps, as a running back, on jets sweeps and in return game.
  • Motor rarely gives opponents a chance to catch their breath.
  • Laser-focused once the ball is snapped.
  • No down gear into the teeth of the defense as route-runner.
  • Low center of gravity for sudden route cuts/breaks.
  • Creates throwing windows with leverage, footwork and strength.
  • Concentration to make wild circus catches.
  • Relishes contact and can play through it.
  • Absolute menace with the ball in his hands.
  • Patient runner with vision and a foot hovering over the gas pedal.
Sources Tell Us

"Better person than player and he is a hell of a player. You have to make your focus all the things he does well because he's going to keep doing them as a pro." -- Personnel director for AFC team

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, I think you are right about the first part. The Cowboys are looking for a TE that can take over for Schultz in 2023. The Jarwin part is inaccurate. He was released. This rookie will likely have to be TE #2. Maybe McKeon? Sprinkle is a decent blocking TE.

I guess my point is that I don't want a Felix Jones situation where we draft a guy b/c he's used to being a back-up and will be ok sharing the job. Whoever we pick needs to have the tools necessary to be the #1 TE in 2023.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score

Overview
A coach's dream, combining competitive nature, exciting versatility and elite character on and off the field. For a short-armed player with average explosiveness, Shakir puts an emphatic stamp on games. He's more football player than prototypical slot receiver and needs to prove he can handle an increase in contested catches. He can be activated from a variety of alignments with the vision, wiggle and toughness to move the chains once the ball is in his hands. He finds a way to frequently show up on the notepad when watching tape and his will to outperform the guy across from him should not be overlooked. Shakir should become a valuable piece for a creative play-caller.
Strengths
  • High-character player.
  • Receiver used on direct snaps, as a running back, on jets sweeps and in return game.
Sources Tell Us

"Better person than player and he is a hell of a player. You have to make your focus all the things he does well because he's going to keep doing them as a pro." -- Personnel director for AFC team

I really hope he falls to us in the 3rd.

I will be honest, I am a Boise guy. We have produced some pretty good, not great, but pretty good WRs over the years, including Cedrick Wilson, but I think most Boise fans, including myself, will agree that Shakir has been our favorite. He just has "it."

I am not saying he will ever be a #1, but I think he will be a good #3 from game 1, and could turn into a solid #2.

morasp

Reaction score
I really hope he falls to us in the 3rd.

I will be honest, I am a Boise guy. We have produced some pretty good, not great, but pretty good WRs over the years, including Cedrick Wilson, but I think most Boise fans, including myself, will agree that Shakir has been our favorite. He just has "it."

I am not saying he will ever be a #1, but I think he will be a good #3 from game 1, and could turn into a solid #2.
I love his competitive spirit. I think that's what set players like Deebo Samuel apart. Shanahan called Samuel the best player he's been around.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Love Shakir, just catches everything and plays like hair on fire every down.

Perfect for slot which is a true need.

Overview
Strengths
  • High-character player.
Sources Tell Us

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I really like Pickens from UGA. If we can get him in a trade down from 24 or even with our 2nd rounder.....

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I really like Pickens from UGA. If we can get him in a trade down from 24 or even with our 2nd rounder.....
Pickens will be gone by 56, I too would like a slight trade down. Problem with trading down in this draft is that any team coming from the bottom of the first is trying to trade up for a a WR.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
More SLOT options.

Giants Toney and Niners Deebo can also play Slot.