WR Decker tries to get foot in draft door

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
1vike0419decker.jpg

http://www.startribune.com/sports/v...cyaiUjc8LDyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

1vike0419decker.jpg

Decker tries to get foot in draft door
The former Gophers standout receiver hopes he's answered injury questions and is NFL-ready.

By CHIP SCOGGINS, Star Tribune

Eric Decker

Marlin Levison, Star Tribune file

Himself.

The Big Ten Network dispatched a film crew to Phoenix in January to chronicle Decker's workouts at the Athletes Performance Institute. The piece included Decker playfully helping prepare a meal in the facility's kitchen and also training on a specialized treadmill that limited the amount of body weight placed on his surgically repaired left foot.

"I haven't seen this," the former Gophers star receiver said.

Not that Decker needed any reminder of the hard work he put in to reach what promises to be one of the biggest weeks of his life. A Lisfranc injury ended his senior season in October and raised questions about how it might affect his draft status. But his recovery is on schedule and indications are Decker likely could be selected in the second round Friday.

Decker returned to the Twin Cities last week after a whirlwind tour of team visits. His itinerary included stops at the Patriots, Panthers, Chiefs, Broncos and Cardinals.

"I call it my nation tour," he said.

He also squeezed in a trip to Indianapolis so that doctors could re-examine his foot and deliver the results to all 32 teams. Decker initially feared his injury would cause him to drop to lower rounds, but his foot is on the mend and a number of draft experts still project him as a second-round pick.

"It was tough because at first I kind of watched myself fall a little bit," he said, referring to all the draft rumors and speculation. "But slowly I'm climbing back up. I wish I could have worked out but obviously I can't control that. I did everything I could do. Whatever happens, I'll go to a great organization that's a good fit for me."

Decker tore ligaments in his foot while running a route against Ohio State.

"Just made a cut," he said. "Freak accident."

Continued: Decker tries to get foot in draft door

Eric Decker finished a plate of lasagna and was walking out of a Dinkytown restaurant when a familiar face appeared on the television above the door.
Himself.
The Big Ten Network dispatched a film crew to Phoenix in January to chronicle Decker's workouts at the Athletes Performance Institute. The piece included Decker playfully helping prepare a meal in the facility's kitchen and also training on a specialized treadmill that limited the amount of body weight placed on his surgically repaired left foot.
"I haven't seen this," the former Gophers star receiver said.
Not that Decker needed any reminder of the hard work he put in to reach what promises to be one of the biggest weeks of his life. A Lisfranc injury ended his senior season in October and raised questions about how it might affect his draft status. But his recovery is on schedule and indications are Decker likely could be selected in the second round Friday.
Decker returned to the Twin Cities last week after a whirlwind tour of team visits. His itinerary included stops at the Patriots, Panthers, Chiefs, Broncos and Cardinals.
"I call it my nation tour," he said.
He also squeezed in a trip to Indianapolis so that doctors could re-examine his foot and deliver the results to all 32 teams. Decker initially feared his injury would cause him to drop to lower rounds, but his foot is on the mend and a number of draft experts still project him as a second-round pick.
"It was tough because at first I kind of watched myself fall a little bit," he said, referring to all the draft rumors and speculation. "But slowly I'm climbing back up. I wish I could have worked out but obviously I can't control that. I did everything I could do. Whatever happens, I'll go to a great organization that's a good fit for me."
Decker tore ligaments in his foot while running a route against Ohio State.
"Just made a cut," he said. "Freak accident."

Surgery and a long rehabilitation process followed. The injury prevented Decker from running at the NFL scouting combine in February or privately for teams this spring.

Decker is not known as a speed-burner, so teams obviously would have preferred to see him run in person to better gauge his ability to get open. Instead, they will have to base their decisions off Decker's on-field performance for the Gophers. Decker isn't complaining about that.

"That's your résumé," he said.

Decker became the Gophers' career leading receiver. NFL scouts love his combination of size (6-3, 215 pounds), sure hands, body control and large catch radius. He makes tough catches in traffic and runs good routes.

Decker also earns high marks as a consummate teammate with strong character. He also posted the highest Wonderlic score of all draft prospects at the combine.

"Just call me a nerd," he said.

Decker seemed amused by some of the psychoanalysis that teams used at the combine in an attempt to detect any character flaws in prospects. Several teams shined a spotlight on prospects during formal interviews. One team had a psychologist conduct interviews. Another team asked Decker if he ever gets angry.

"It's like, 'Can we talk about football?'" he recalled, laughing.

Decker hardly could be blamed for wanting to talk football since his foot injury received so much pre-draft attention. But even that subject is more positive these days.

Decker began jogging for the first time since October two weeks ago and hasn't experienced any pain or swelling. He hopes to be running full speed by mid-May and then begin working on lateral movements after that.

Dr. Robert Anderson, who performed the surgery in Charlotte, N.C., created a program with Decker's input that is expected to have him ready to participate fully in training camp in late July.

"That's what I'm pushing for," he said.