News: WR Dez Bryant could return punts for Cowboys

CCBoy

Reaction score
WR Dez Bryant could return punts for Cowboys
by Elliott Smith | Staff Writer
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/DAL/dallas-cowboys

Wide receiver Dez Bryant is one of the NFL's biggest offensive weapons, and if the Cowboys get creative, he could become a huge special teams asset as well, according to the Dallas Morning News.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said in a call with season-ticket holders that Bryant may get a crack at returning punts this year in the absence of returner Dwayne Harris. Bryant hasn't returned a punt since 2012.

In referencing the punt return situation, Jones said the team is willing to approach it via committee but that, "Then we have a guy in Dez Bryant who had quite a career returning punts at Oklahoma State. When we need a big play, with him maturing as a player, it wouldn’t be out of the question to see him in some key situations when we need him back there," he said.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't want him returning punts, he is too reckless running with the ball.

Givincer

Reaction score
No thanks.

Hire someone who can fair catch it. Then we can throw the ball to Dez on first down.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Dez does not need to he returning kicks. That's for low-round draft picks and free agents.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
In certain circumstances if he is the best option then I would. 95% of the time no but you get into a late game situation with the game on the line then I would. My hope is someone emerges as a legit return man and all this becomes moot

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
True. He was a beast his rookie year, but 5 fumbles on 42 career punt returns is ugly.

Not even the fumbles that concern me, he runs like a wild man.....arms and legs flailing away. That is a good way to get injured.

KDM256

Reaction score
Wouldn't mind it in key situations, but I rather have someone else back there returning punts rather than my star receiver.

Too much risk with very little reward for the most part. Imagine the backlash if something bad was to happen in this scenario.

Jenky

Reaction score
Not this bullcrap again. I said it the first time and I'll say it again. NO!

Phoenix

Reaction score
In certain circumstances if he is the best option then I would. 95% of the time no but you get into a late game situation with the game on the line then I would. My hope is someone emerges as a legit return man and all this becomes moot

Yes, exactly. Just like when in certain game situations, we were thrilled when Prime Time came out on the field to return the punt....