WR in first couple rounds of draft?

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
I know we have big needs at OL, FS, LB, and probably DT and we have signed TO, BUT wouldn't it be wise to get a young WR developing now.

What if Glenn gets hurt or if TO has a mental/emotional breakdown again. Even if TO starts to wear out his welcome in year 2 we should have a young guy with a year in the system and a year to develop his skills at the NFL level.

I really like Crayton but he is still trying to take that next step he began last year. He wasn't the same after the injury which makes sense, but still hasn't proven he could take over a number 2 role. Other than Crayton though, I think we don't have any up and coming young guys other than 2 or 3 real projects and special teamers.

With TO and Glenn in 30's and somewhat risky from personality and health reasons respectively, I think we need the high round draft pick WR now.

Insurance Policy and to make us that much deeper/talented for next 2-3 years. WR's can take awhile to get to that productive NFL level.

I'd love one on first day for sure.

LarryCanadian

Doomsday101

Reaction score
LarryCanadian said:
I know we have big needs at OL, FS, LB, and probably DT and we have signed TO, BUT wouldn't it be wise to get a young WR developing now.

What if Glenn gets hurt or if TO has a mental/emotional breakdown again. Even if TO starts to wear out his welcome in year 2 we should have a young guy with a year in the system and a year to develop his skills at the NFL level.

I really like Crayton but he is still trying to take that next step he began last year. He wasn't the same after the injury which makes sense, but still hasn't proven he could take over a number 2 role. Other than Crayton though, I thing we don't have any up and coming young guys other than 2 or 3 real projects and special teamers.

With TO and Glenn in 30's and somewhat risky from personality and health reasons respectively, I think we need the high round draft pick WR now.

Insurance Policy and to make us that much deeper/talented for next 2-3 years. WR's can take awhile to get to that productive NFL level.

LarryCanadian

I would not mind seeing Dallas draft a WR in day 1 however if this is not addressed this year Dallas could look to FA next season at younger FA WR as well as the draft.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LarryCanadian said:

I really like Crayton but he is still trying to take that next step he began last year. He wasn't the same after the injury which makes sense, but still hasn't proven he could take over a number 2 role. Other than Crayton though, I think we don't have any up and coming young guys other than 2 or 3 real projects and special teamers.

LarryCanadian

I don't know if "big needs" on the offensive line is accurate.

I don't know if that applies to DT either. Do we need a quality sub? Yeah, but after paying a guy a $9 mill signing bonus I'm not ready to draft a successor high up in the draft.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101 said:
I would not mind seeing Dallas draft a WR in day 1 however if this is not addressed this year Dallas could look to FA next season at younger FA WR as well as the draft.

I think we will draft a WR in day one.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I would not mind seeing Dallas draft a WR in day 1
Especially since two starters are 32 years old and both of these and the third WR are injury-prone. We could end up in a situation with all three injured and Dallas having to pick up street FA's in the middle of the year.

cleverusername

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I think we will draft a WR in day one.

We need to start thinking about younger recievers. I know it's early, but in the 2007 draft, I love Ted Ginn. That guy can move.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
I hope we at least peruse some WR's in the 3rd-round or later as there could be some interesting prospects available then. A few interesting names are the Terry Glenn-sized-and-speed-rated Greg Jennings who can return punts, the Keyshawn-sized college high-jump champ Hank Baskett, the Horned Froggies' Cory Rodgers who's also a decent return guy, etc. Lots of decent prospects out there offering different skill sets...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Especially since two starters are 32 years old and both of these and the third WR are injury-prone. We could end up in a situation with all three injured and Dallas having to pick up street FA's in the middle of the year.

That is true. I do like the fact that Crayton is with us but I agree Dallas has to look to the getting younger WR for the future. I will say this draft does not look great at WR overall and I don't want Dallas reaching for a WR in day one unless they are really high on a paticular player because at this stage I don't think it is a must for this upcoming season for the future of this club yes this needs to be addressed.

cleverusername

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
That is true. I do like the fact that Crayton is with us but I agree Dallas has to look to the getting younger WR for the future. I will say this draft does not look great at WR overall and I don't want Dallas reaching for a WR in day one unless they are really high on a paticular player because at this stage I don't think it is a must for this upcoming season for the future of this club yes this needs to be addressed.

:hammer:

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Well my thoughts on WR are based mainly on Insurance factor now and the future. I think NFL level WR's take 2-3 seasons minimum to develop. I'd prefer not to have to grab another in FA as really good ones cost a good deal, plus they aren't easy to come by. We need to stock our stable of these guys just like we finally did with RB.

As for Oline. I think it's a glaring need talent wise because it is the key to our offensive season. We have a proven but imobile QB that WHEN he has time can make any pass. If QB gets time and Glenn and TO get time to use their speed to seperate and make big plays then we will have big success. If the Oline doesn't blitz pick up and pass block then TO ain't worth that type of money. Remember, Keyshawn, our short yardage possession guy is gone. You want to use TO as a BIG PLAY guy. Of course you use him for first downs too, but really you signed TO to make 20 YPC. If Bledsoe has 2 secs forget it.

Also, Julius is not a guy that works well in heavy traffic so oline is key again. A strong running game makes whole offense better.

DT is a big need because we have noone proven after Ferguson and he can't take every snap at his age/size. We have some good young talent (Pepper Johnson and Raitliff might do) but they aren't necessarily prototypical Nose Tackles and I think we go more and more 3-4 this year with Glover gone and LB's more experienced.

Hence my list.

Larry

lkelly

Reaction score
WRs traditionally take at least 1 year to develop. Sometimes 2 or 3 years. Extrapolate out that timeline, and it's pretty evident that Dallas needs to get on the stick and draft some young talent now. Either that or continue their practice of paying the price for other teams' WR development efforts.

I'm not sure who was responsible for evaluating WR prospects the last decade (does the blame fall on Larry Lacewell?), but it's been a miserable failure. Wayne McGarity, Stepfret Williams, Macey Brooks, etc.

:blech:

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I would be very disappointed if we took a WR on Day one. I just dont think the need warrants a day one selection. We have bigger needs on day 1. Now I am for taking one in the 4th or later and seeing if we get lucky. And really with this draft,, once you get past the top 3 WR,, they are all about the same.

lkelly

Reaction score
Cowboy4ever said:
I would be very disappointed if we took a WR on Day one. I just dont think the need warrants a day one selection. We have bigger needs on day 1. Now I am for taking one in the 4th or later and seeing if we get lucky. And really with this draft,, once you get past the top 3 WR,, they are all about the same.

Unfortunately, living year after year on second day gambles and expensive 30+ year old free agents isn't conducive to a good passing game. We've done roughly the same thing at the QB position, only it has been baseball rejects and expensive 30/40+ free agents.

Think a team like the Bengals regrets having a young QB/WR mix that plays at a pro-bowl level?

Next year, after we see Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Jarrett, and others go off the board before our pick, I wonder if Cowboys fans will be repeating the "wait until next year mantra."

Manster54

Reaction score
I think WR becomes a need next year. This year, I still think an IMPACT OLB or OLINE is the way the Boys will draft in rounds 1 & 2. By round 3, reaching for a WR in a weak class will not happen.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Ben Obomanu- WR Auburn.. in the forth. He is 6'1 205lbs with pretty good hands and speed.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LarryCanadian said:
As for Oline. I think it's a glaring need talent wise because it is the key to our offensive season. We have a proven but imobile QB that WHEN he has time can make any pass. If QB gets time and Glenn and TO get time to use their speed to seperate and make big plays then we will have big success. If the Oline doesn't blitz pick up and pass block then TO ain't worth that type of money. Remember, Keyshawn, our short yardage possession guy is gone. You want to use TO as a BIG PLAY guy. Of course you use him for first downs too, but really you signed TO to make 20 YPC. If Bledsoe has 2 secs forget it.

Hence my list.

Larry

Last time I looked Larry we signed a guard who represents an improvement over the guard we had last year and we signed an OT who represents an improvement over what we had last year.

AND we have Peterman, Johnson and Petitti another year older.

AND we have Colombo who offers some intriguing upside.

Have great players at ever position backed up by other great players doesn't work in today's NFL. At some point you have to count on your younger guys like Johnson, Petitti and Peterman being able to play.

I personally feel Johnson isn't that far away and Petitti will almost definitely be better.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Last time I looked Larry we signed a guard who represents an improvement over the guard we had last year.

Whoa there!!! We have no clue if Kosier is an improvement, IN FACT, the conventional wisdom would lean towards Kosier NOT being an improvement over Allen. As far as tackle goes, I'm ok with what we have although we could use some youth there. Finally at center, we need an upgrade. If Johnson plays like he did last year, it won't cut it. Neither will Gurode. One of those guys needs to improve.....a lot, or an early draft pick will be made.

kartr

Reaction score
LarryCanadian said:

LarryCanadian

Yes, we can get Greg Jennings of Western Michigan in round three, he's a Steve Smith clone, good route runner, good hands and great open field running.

kartr

Reaction score
AAHHRoyWilliamsIsAfterMe! said:
I hope we at least peruse some WR's in the 3rd-round or later as there could be some interesting prospects available then. A few interesting names are the Terry Glenn-sized-and-speed-rated Greg Jennings who can return punts, the Keyshawn-sized college high-jump champ Hank Baskett, the Horned Froggies' Cory Rodgers who's also a decent return guy, etc. Lots of decent prospects out there offering different skill sets...

I like Jennings too, I've seen his video and he is absolute awsome. Jeff Webb of San Diego state on day 2 would be a good pick, at 6'3" and 220 lbs. Good hands and he's tough as nails. Specialty is beating the jam, gets open using his strength and doesn't mind going over the middle.